P1000 Champion Winch?

kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody have any experience with the Champion winches sold at Cabelas? Seen they have a 4500lb for $199. Just wondering if it’s a good winch?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually have a 4000lb on my 700 that I picked up at Costco and it has worked very well. I haven't used it for recovery too much, but I use it all winter for my snowplow. I definitely think they are worth a try.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm not sure about Champion. They have bad reviews.
What I did was listen to the guys on here and other forums. A lot of people said Warn winches can't be beat. Very true
A lot of good reviews about Super winch and viper as well.Even people liked Harbor freights Badlands winches. I went with the viper max 4500 because the price was middle priced and a couple guys raved about their customer assistance and how they take care of you...Even if your the obvious Idiot....Had it for 3 1/2 years.
Had to use it the other day and it worked flawlessly.I was nervous because I forget it's there and we have been creek riding a lot this summer. And try to get cordless remote.it is so much better.....JMO

kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure about Champion. They have bad reviews.
What I did was listen to the guys on here and other forums. A lot of people said Warn winches can't be beat. Very true
A lot of good reviews about Super winch and viper as well.Even people liked Harbor freights Badlands winches. I went with the viper max 4500 because the price was middle priced and a couple guys raved about their customer assistance and how they take care of you...Even if your the obvious Idiot....Had it for 3 1/2 years.
Had to use it the other day and it worked flawlessly.I was nervous because I forget it's there and we have been creek riding a lot this summer. And try to get cordless remote.it is so much better.....JMO

Does the viper max come with the mounting plate? And does it work for a ‘16 P1k-5?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I scored a 4500 lb Champion from Ebay back in 2014 for like $130 new. Had the hand and wireless remote and a generic mount plate. There was the newer version "wide spool" also available for a bit more, but it didn't have the wireless remote, so i got the former.

I'm not a mud guy who was winching several times a ride, but i did use it several times including stuff like yard work, and it was flawless, and I'd buy one again. I suspect all these "cheap" winches like Traveler, Champion, ETC all come from the same source and just have different stickers slapped on them.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does the viper max come with the mounting plate? And does it work for a ‘16 P1k-5?
For the most part all winches for pioneers require a mounting plate.Unless you have Emp bumper or some other after market one. They sell plate for around 35 to 45 bucks. Don't skimp on plate with a 4500lb winch.I paid around 260 for mine.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the most part all winches for pioneers require a mounting plate.Unless you have Emp bumper or some other after market one. They sell plate for around 35 to 45 bucks. Don't skimp on plate with a 4500lb winch.I paid around 260 for mine.[/QU
Are you referring to the mounting kit for 260. Seems very high for just the plate.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
260 for plate and winch!!!! Sorry

Reactions: ofrcboy
H

HondaTech

Warn is the best imo, but they are expensive. I've only had a few issue wirh them over the years. Usually the piece inside the freewheel/pull knob comes apart or breaks and it locks in freewheel. Other than that there solid.

Superwinch is next best, I've had a few cables break at the hook. But I can't say what caused them, but ive never seen a Warn do it.

Others are marginal at best.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anybody have any experience with the Champion winches sold at Cabelas? Seen they have a 4500lb for $199. Just wondering if it’s a good winch?

I’ve only had one Champion winch and it got water in it the first time it got wet. But that also happened to our super winch terra 45. It’s Warn for me from now on.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Viper has gotten wet several times. So far so good, just ordered another just like it for the rear.

Their customer service is far better than most. Actually spoke with the president of the company when I called in.

Reactions: swsebek
kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also looking at the Viper winches.....is the only difference in the viper max and the viper midnight the obvious color? Are all the internals the same?

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have warn 3500 and Superwinch terra 3500 on each of my ATVs.

They have both been good winches with only couple issues

My SW freespool knob doesn't like to turn when it gets muddy or if I haven't used it in awhile. I basically have to spray it clean and then work it back and forth to get it to rotate freely enough to engage and disengage freespool. As far as pulling goes it has never let me down.

My WW freespool knob takes but a touch to rotate, doesn't matter if it caked in mud or not. As far as pulling power goes it does ok, I have had it stop a few times and wouldn't even unspool one time. The times it stopped I had only
Been winching for about ten seconds, but after a few minutes worked just fine.

Price SW
Power SW
Freespool WW
Longevity Tie, have them both about the same amount of time and no real
Issues

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!