P1000 Checking valve clearance after 20hr?

R

Rebelyell31

Jan 18, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hey guy I need ur opinion my dealer told me that at my 20hr or 100 mile service that I needed to have my valves check and reset did y’all do this or is my dealer blowing smoke up my butt?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Direct copy from service manual (also available in owners manual)
"1. Inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy."
Capture9

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine was good no adjustment needed.
Is this an adjustment we can do ourselves or needs to be hooked up to machine/computer? It's gonna be an ass ache to cart it to the dealership, wait and bring it back.

Reactions: sharp
KenC

KenC

Dec 28, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree that in most cases the valves are fine from all the internet reports I have seen. I think this is just a ploy to get you back into the dealer for services. But of course if you are getting engine indicators, I would have the valves checked. I've owned honda's for over 30 years and can't recall ever doing valve adjustments.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Is this an adjustment we can do ourselves or needs to be hooked up to machine/computer? It's gonna be an ass ache to cart it to the dealership, wait and bring it back.
If you have the ability to do it, then yes do it and if not, we can talk you through it....

Reactions: sharp
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's a dealer ploy the factory gives their dealers to bleed you one more time. If I were to guess, most dealers' service departments don't even do it, much less change the oil, they might throw filters in and top off oils. Sorry to be so negative, it's what I believe after dealing with many Honda dealers.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
It's a dealer ploy the factory gives their dealers to bleed you one more time. If I were to guess, most dealers' service departments don't even do it, much less change the oil, they might throw filters in and top off oils. Sorry to be so negative, it's what I believe after dealing with many Honda dealers.
Somewhere along the way "trust" has been shaken between customers and some dealers (many different forms, i.e., cars, electronics, etc.), and would like to see that restored.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In order to maintain factory warranty , i ponied up for this service. Take a look at the asteriks in the chart. There are a few that states qualified mechanic. I could rebuild the whole darn thing, but i have no "QUALIFIACTIONS" on paper or no certifications. Dealer even signed the service report etc.

I will perform all others services. I can see from a factory warranty standpoint about having "trained" mechanics do certain things.

I have worked in and ran a maintenance shop for almost 25 years. Very anal about somethings. I hate to see a torque wrench im a mechanics box, pick it up and see he had not released the tension from the last time he used it a year ago...

advertisement
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In order to maintain factory warranty , i ponied up for this service. Take a look at the asteriks in the chart. There are a few that states qualified mechanic. I could rebuild the whole darn thing, but i have no "QUALIFIACTIONS" on paper or no certifications. Dealer even signed the service report etc.

I will perform all others services. I can see from a factory warranty standpoint about having "trained" mechanics do certain things.

I have worked in and ran a maintenance shop for almost 25 years. Very anal about somethings. I hate to see a torque wrench im a mechanics box, pick it up and see he had not released the tension from the last time he used it a year ago...
Do you think Honda service tech's use a torque wrench on the oil plugs as stated in the manual? LOL

H

HondaTech

I agree that in most cases the valves are fine from all the internet reports I have seen. I think this is just a ploy to get you back into the dealer for services. But of course if you are getting engine indicators, I would have the valves checked. I've owned honda's for over 30 years and can't recall ever doing valve adjustments.

Most Atvs at 100 miles or 20 hours will need the valves adjusted, they do get loose. Pioneer 700 and 500 are the same way.

The P1K has shims on the intake side and is usually ok at the 100 mile mark. I've adjusted a few exhaust valves but never any intakes as of yet.

So to say Hondas dont need them is wrong, will it still run? Moat likely, but it's best to have a peek in there occasionally to adjust them if needed.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Most Atvs at 100 miles or 20 hours will need the valves adjusted, they do get loose. Pioneer 700 and 500 are the same way.

The P1K has shims on the intake side and is usually ok at the 100 mile mark. I've adjusted a few exhaust valves but never any intakes as of yet.

So to say Hondas dont need them is wrong, will it still run? Moat likely, but it's best to have a peek in there occasionally to adjust them if needed.
I wish you were my service tech, you are honest.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't made it this far in this business by being dishonest. I treat all my customers machines like they were my own. I do it the way I would want it done if I were paying for repairs.

Where do you work at Home Tech? May have to switch dealers!

The dealer I bought from did say that they had rather see the valve service done a little after 100 miles but before 300. He said they have had to adjust a few.

Reactions: 0860silverado
H

HondaTech

Where do you work at Home Tech? May have to switch dealers!

The dealer I bought from did say that they had rather see the valve service done a little after 100 miles but before 300. He said they have had to adjust a few.

Fairfield Ohio sir.

• Sad
Reactions: dukeANhammer
KenC

KenC

Dec 28, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

HondaTech, I have to ask, why has valve adjustment not been a problem for all the other Honda's that I have owned over the last few decades?? I have a 2005 Honda Foreman that's been running like a champ for 13 years, only changed the oil and filters. That's why I buy Honda's in the first place. Your thoughts on this sir....

U

Uniblab

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked my own valves at 100 miles. One exhaust valve was 1 thou too tight, so I loosened it to spec but I'm sure it would have been fine if I'd skipped it. Not a recommendation, just another data point.

Took the Pioneer to the local dealer a month ago to have the muffler shield recall done and they asked if the 100 mile service had been performed, when I said I'd done it they didn't react at all. I don't think it's a ploy to get more business, I think it's probably a legitimate check that Honda engineers recommended. If the engine had hydraulic lifters, my opinion would be different but with solid lifters and adjustable lash, it makes sense to me check it after the engine has been through a few decent heat cycles. That has been the norm in similar engines as long as I can remember.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!