BOX1

P1000 clear gas thoughts

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
ALL gasoline burns at exactly the same rate and same temperature. Yes, indeed, avagas will harm the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, etc. It’s called 100LL for a reason....it’s low lead in comparison to the no longer available previous high octane avgas fuels.
Ummmm, no, all gas does not burn at the same rate, that is why we have octane ratings, the higher the octane, the slower it burns. And around here, the highest octane at the pumps has no alcohol in it, which is the ONLY reason we use it in powersports and and other infrequently used equipment.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Non ethanol in all my small engines. Honda water pump, Honda tiller, boat motors, portable welder/ generator, and zero turn mowers. I do not run it in my truck. Hehehe that's because it's a diesel.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
B

Bachscar

Mar 21, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ummmm, sorry, but all gasoline DOES burn at the same rate. The ONLY thing that the higher octane does is improve the resistance to detonation. The original high octane fuels were developed for use in the high output aircraft engines developed before and during WW2 which suffered severe detonation problems until the tetra-ethyl lead compound was added to the fuel. Problem solved.

Reactions: Biteme
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Honestly I’m not sure what clear gas is (maybe without ethanol?).

In all my non car/truck applications I run 100% straight gasoline. It’s more expensive but I don’t have fuel problems from ethanol either.

100% AGREE👍👍👍
ANYTHING with a motor from yard tools to UTVs should run CORN FREE gas.

If you do that, they will ALWAYS CRANK .... even after months of non-use.

Ethanol gums up carburetors and fuel lines.

Fuel injection and special fuel line composites have made it tolerable for automobiles and trucks...... maybe some fuel injected UTVs..... but I don’t trust it.

Not even a tankful....

It is hard to find... but well worth the effort!!!!

My 2cents🤣🤣🤣

H

HondaFan

Lifetime Member
May 21, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have replaced the carburetors on all my small engineers and gummed up the works on my Pioneer with ethanol in the gasoline. I now buy only ethanol-free gasoline and have had no problems since. It does cost more, but the cost is small compared to all the maintenance you will incur if you use gasoline with ethanol.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ummmm, sorry, but all gasoline DOES burn at the same rate. The ONLY thing that the higher octane does is improve the resistance to detonation. The original high octane fuels were developed for use in the high output aircraft engines developed before and during WW2 which suffered severe detonation problems until the tetra-ethyl lead compound was added to the fuel. Problem solved.
Different fuel blends burn at different rates under the same temperatures and pressures. Absolute fact. All gas doesn't burn at the same rate, there are many, many variables that determine the burn rate of gasolines, and most all fuels for that matter. But, not to argue the point here, non alcohol fuel is better for our engines. I use it in all my gas engines including my 5.0 Mustang. You'll get better mileage from "clear gas" also. On the other hand, the higher the alcohol content of the fuel the greater the power available if tuned for that alcohol. That's why we use alcohol in our race cars. We can run ridiculously, crazy high compression ratios (16 to 1) with alcohol and it runs cooler to boot but, we have to use a lot more of it for equal power to gasoline.

Chez-500

Chez-500

Jan 22, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Different fuel blends burn at different rates under the same temperatures and pressures. Absolute fact. All gas doesn't burn at the same rate, there are many, many variables that determine the burn rate of gasolines, and most all fuels for that matter. But, not to argue the point here, non alcohol fuel is better for our engines. I use it in all my gas engines including my 5.0 Mustang. You'll get better mileage from "clear gas" also. On the other hand, the higher the alcohol content of the fuel the greater the power available if tuned for that alcohol. That's why we use alcohol in our race cars. We can run ridiculously, crazy high compression ratios (16 to 1) with alcohol and it runs cooler to boot but, we have to use a lot more of it for equal power to gasoline.
Used to run our car on alky just hard on everything but it’s faster!!

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yah, power is over the top but it pounds the hell out of bearings at those high compression ratios!

Harvey

Harvey

Mar 14, 2018
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, I own a 1000 5 ride in az. I just purchased 15 gals of the so called clear , this is 100 percent fuel only no ethanol , at it is premium . C attached photo , blue is 110 oct leaded

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
why am I so confused? haha. At pretty much every station I have been to in Az, our choices are 87, 89 and 91 octane. Is 91 considered clear gas?

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in Louisiana it is the pump with the blue handle marked "Ethanol Free" or "Non Ethanol". The fuel I bought today was 87 octane non ethanol. $2.19/gallon

Reactions: Backwoods
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
why am I so confused? haha. At pretty much every station I have been to in Az, our choices are 87, 89 and 91 octane. Is 91 considered clear gas?

Some may call it Clear Gas.
Has nothing to do with octane level.
Look for ETHANOL FREE.... and it will be well marked on the pump and the handle will be a different color. Our QT station here in SC has Red Handles.

There are only 2 places out of 50 around me that carry it.
Well worth the effort to find it.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Clear gas is a reigional thing, its a marketing ploy right up there with putting more chrome on a pickup and claiming it's the best.
For thouse that haven't seen, an image off the web:
20200430 062637

That being said, I use whatever is cheap as per the owners manual.
87 octane was $1.04 yesterday.
This corona thing keeps up any longer and gas will be free.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my area it’s often called ‘rec (recreation) fuel’ or ‘rec 90 (90 octane)’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Haldog77
H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what is the antiknock component in "clear" gasoline
It's the Octane. Regular fuel has less octane than premium and fuels containing alcohol are generally lower octane fuels with the added alcohol used to retard the preignition instead of higher octane content.

S

Snidley

Jun 29, 2018
Athena
Ownership

1. 500
What octane of fuel should I use in my 2020 honda pioneer 1000? I have used ethonal free gas for years in my small engine machines. I was told I shouldn't use it in pioneer 1000

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What octane of fuel should I use in my 2020 honda pioneer 1000? I have used ethonal free gas for years in my small engine machines. I was told I shouldn't use it in pioneer 1000
I run regular 10% ethanol and ethanol free. Just depends on what I have at home or what the gas station has. 2 years old this month and 4600 miles and zero issues with gas. I run only ethanol free in anything with a carburetor.

Reactions: 500oneer
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

octane doesn’t so much matter in your pioneer.

Can you run Ethanol blended fuel....yes you can....should you?

I won’t because it’s notorious for gumming up every thing if left for long periods. I’ve fixed way too many small engines and motors because of the stuff.

I’ll even run straight gas in my vehicles if the difference in price is close enough as straight gas yields better fuel economy in my vehicles.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!