P1000 GAS FUMES IN CAB

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE, took it for our first ride and as the tank started lowering we had more gas fumes in the cab! Buy a half a tank it finally got so bad we had to turn around and head back. We have a two-piece Honda OEM windshield, also a rear window. It was very windy that day. Tried to replicate it in my garage and it seemed that may be coming from the vent hose? Anybody have any ideas or have had the same problem?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just purchased a 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE, took it for our first ride and as the tank started lowering we had more gas fumes in the cab! Buy a half a tank it finally got so bad we had to turn around and head back. We have a two-piece Honda OEM windshield, also a rear window. It was very windy that day. Tried to replicate it in my garage and it seemed that may be coming from the vent hose? Anybody have any ideas or have had the same problem?
🤔....welcome to the club from South FL

Check the fuel vent line, under the seat passenger side. And like DirtStiffs said, get a vent extension kit and avoid future issues also. Ohhhh did you know we like pics?.......we like pics!!

Pics or it didn't happen!!😂😂

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where's the Deputy.
Add a vent kit and don't overfill the tank into the neck.
When you do the vent kit do you run it up to the back of the machine? Because my doggies right in the back! Thanks for your response do I just buy the hose and do my own vent kit or do they actually have a vent kit? For as much as we pay for these damn machines Honda should have that figured out

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My vent line kit come in the mail this week. Haven't had time to install it yet but it only makes since. Honda vented it right below the passengers seat.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Where's the Deputy.
Seems the OP has problem's following directions. He was asked in another thread and from @JenElio aka Jennay in this one 🤨

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems the OP has problem's following directions. He was asked in another thread and from @JenElio aka Jennay in this one 🤨
All good Bud, keep em honest.

A

Alan Johnson

Mar 25, 2024
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took delivery of a 2023 1000-5 about a month ago. After riding of a while I get an overpowering smell of raw gasoline. I don't see any leaks. I spoke with the dealer service dept., they say it is common. I told them that may be so, but it shouldn't be this way, and we're talking about a safety issue (fire/explosion/dizzy). I left it with them to check out, they were able to replicate the issue, but aren't sure how to correct it.
I see from this thread that the fuel tank is just vented to atmosphere right under the passenger seat. What a piss poor design! I expected better engineering from Honda!
I see that some people have extended the vent tube. To me, that is not correcting a deficient design, it is simply moving the problem further away from the passenger.
I believe Honda should have a retrofit kit to correct this issue.

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and TripleB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I took delivery of a 2023 1000-5 about a month ago. After riding of a while I get an overpowering smell of raw gasoline. I don't see any leaks. I spoke with the dealer service dept., they say it is common. I told them that may be so, but it shouldn't be this way, and we're talking about a safety issue (fire/explosion/dizzy). I left it with them to check out, they were able to replicate the issue, but aren't sure how to correct it.
I see from this thread that the fuel tank is just vented to atmosphere right under the passenger seat. What a piss poor design! I expected better engineering from Honda!
I see that some people have extended the vent tube. To me, that is not correcting a deficient design, it is simply moving the problem further away from the passenger.
I would recommend extending all your vent lines.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can believe and hope and wish and pray all day, but the reality is Honda isn’t going to change it for you. Extend all your vent lines for $30-ish bucks and be done with it. Or don’t. That’s up to you.

@Bayouownbeer sells a kit that extends all the vent lines on the machine. PM him for a link.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fuel sloshing around in a tank is going to cause changing tank pressures all day, that has to be vented somewhere. I extended my Talon tank vent fully forward, ending under the winch; very rarely ever smell fuel and I have the inner filler neck tube removed so I'm always overfilling my tank.

I'm surprised that it kept happening as the fuel level got lower, mine only happens when the tank is completely full, on steep descents.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Almost all of our Honda problems, and most of the fixes, are well documented here.
The search bar is the best tool you will ever find.
Oh, and over here pictures of your ride, and an introduction should have been your first post. The crying comes later, when you read about all the pricey upgrades you should have. haha
Have a good day

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My kit will solve you problem plus a more.

This is the vent extension kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions and tracking will be emailed.

BLACK TUBING ITS HARLY NOTICEABLE IF IT’S RUN RIGHT

Screen shot Reviews on my page in the feed

https://m.facebook.com/Hondapioneer1000seatheatsolutions/

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

THE ORIGINAL Honda Pioneer 1000-5&6/700/500, Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

THE ORIGINAL Honda Pioneer 1000-5&6/700/500, Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters. | eBay

Both heat shields and vent kits package without filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package Without Filter | eBay

With filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package With Filters | eBay

Just heat shields. This material is construction grade material very thick 5/16” and durable. Fire class 1 rating

Honda Pioneer 1000-6,5 & 3 Seat heat Shield Part 1 and part 2 | eBay

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!