P1000 clear gas thoughts

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run clear gas in my Pioneer 1000-5. Is this good or bad? Reason I ask is a friend has a new Can Am and was running clear gas and it developed a starting problem. His dealer told him to run regular unleaded as per owners manual and this solved the starting problem. They told him the unleaded will fire off faster cold.

Reactions: Biteme
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I’m not sure what clear gas is (maybe without ethanol?).

In all my non car/truck applications I run 100% straight gasoline. It’s more expensive but I don’t have fuel problems from ethanol either.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That goes against everything. His dealer is wrong. (and I make ethanol)
I run ethanol free. Always!
The ethanol free pump is premium gas at a lot of locations, and that's OK too.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can’t say as I’ve ever heard of “clear gas”. I run whatever I can find at the pump during the riding season here in Maine. By October I switch to ethanol free so all my dirt toys are stored with that. Both fuels run fine. Ethanol doesn’t store well.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Can’t say as I’ve ever heard of “clear gas”. I run whatever I can find at the pump during the riding season here in Maine. By October I switch to ethanol free so all my dirt toys are stored with that. Both fuels run fine. Ethanol doesn’t store well.
exactly, my MO also

Reactions: Biteme and Vikes79
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I’m not sure what clear gas is (maybe without ethanol?).

In all my non car/truck applications I run 100% straight gasoline. It’s more expensive but I don’t have fuel problems from ethanol either.

Yes no ethanol, if you have a Hot Rod, SXS, boat, snowmobile or other toy out west you run clear gas.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If by clear gas you mean leaded, then you have to worry about the lead killing the O2 sensor and stopping up the catalytic converter. If you mean non-ethanol then that is good. I run non-ethanol in every thing, mower, tiller, chain saws, Pioneer, weed eater,etc. 87 octane will burn quicker than 93 octane. Honda recommends 87 octane which is what I run.

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Non-ethanol is the way to go for toys. I’ve heard ethanol mixes can start to degrade within a week.

For octane level, we usually run 87 because it’s what we can get at the pump here. Anyone know of any reason to use a booster to get to 90 or so? We haven’t had any issues with how ours runs so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Non-ethanol is the way to go for toys. I’ve heard ethanol mixes can start to degrade within a week.

For octane level, we usually run 87 because it’s what we can get at the pump here. Anyone know of any reason to use a booster to get to 90 or so? We haven’t had any issues with how ours runs so far.

No reason at all, the octane rating is the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition..."spark knock"... A higher octane rating does not mean the fuel will provide more power, it does mean you can run a higher compression or more spark advance without getting pre-ignition. If the engine/fuel system/ignition timing was designed to run on 87 then that's all you need and you actually get less BTUs (power) running higher octane fuels in an engine designed to run on a lower octane. Higher octane fuels burn slower & cooler than lower octane fuels.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
No reason at all, the octane rating is the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition..."spark knock"... A higher octane rating does not mean the fuel will provide more power, it does mean you can run a higher compression or more spark advance without getting pre-ignition. If the engine/fuel system/ignition timing was designed to run on 87 then that's all you need and you actually get less BTUs (power) running higher octane fuels in an engine designed to run on a lower octane. Higher octane fuels burn slower & cooler than lower octane fuels.

Per our discussion regarding 100LL AV gas, I have gone to 91 octane ethanol fuel and my idle smoothed out. Just doesn't smell as good, lol!

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2

90 is just what they sell here .

Reactions: Biteme and Vikes79
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Summit racing equipment sells bottles of fragrance for gas,alchohol. We run grape fragrance in the wife's Purple Duster. It doesn't add octane, only smell. Race cars that use alcohol use it, especially if they are constantly bombarded with the smell while warming up or idling in the staging lanes. One bottle, very small, treats 12-16 gallons.
IMG 1987

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use alcohol free gas in all of my small engines, pioneer 1000 included. May use it in my pickup at some point.

B

Bachscar

Mar 21, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ALL gasoline burns at exactly the same rate and same temperature. Yes, indeed, avagas will harm the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, etc. It’s called 100LL for a reason....it’s low lead in comparison to the no longer available previous high octane avgas fuels.

SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clear gas is just straight unleaded gas. No ethanol. The octane rating varies, just like your normal, ethanol blended unleaded. Around here you can only get ethanol-free "clear gas" in 88 octane. I'd run it all day long if it didn't cost an extra 20-30 cents a gallon. I know my motorcycles run better on straight gas.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!