BOX1

Clinking noise

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Took my talon to get gas and heard a noise that sounded like something was loose and clinking off and on at slower speeds and when decelerating.jacked it up and looked in and around the shaft to make sure a stick or something wasn’t in the shaft area.also put it in neutral and turned the wheels…..nothing???? Also heard a rubbing sound like tires rubbing against something. But nothing visible or while the engine is off???? Gonna hit the dealership up Tuesday. Anyone got anything?

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rear Inner CV joins are a common problem that causes a clicking noise. At first, it will only do it on hard surface and usually get better (or even go away) after you drive a while and the joints warm up but eventually it will be constant and even do it in dirt.

Another clue is that it will "click" only when turning one way and reduce or go away when you turn the opposite way. This will happen if it is only bad on one side.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Upon further investigation, I done the figure 8 drive and I don’t think it’s the cv joint. It sounds like something on the drive line. Kinda like a limb or something rubbing at times almost like when you run over a tree limb or bush. And I can seemingly feel it in the floor when it makes the noise ??? I’ve looked in the shaft front and rear and can’t really see anything. Could the drive line joints be bad?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, some Talons are having u-joint problems, the caps are spinning in their yolks. I 'think' you can see them if you remove the console, just a few push pins hold it in place.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Could the drive line joints be bad?
Absolutely. VERY common problem with the Talon...

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the feed back gonna check mine also. I have been getting a clunking noise when I first apply throttle or switch between forward and reverse.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the feed back gonna check mine also. I have been getting a clunking noise when I first apply throttle or switch between forward and reverse.
I could have sworn the noise was right beside me,(driveline) but they said it was fine. I guess the noise can travel through moving parts ??

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

Check the oil level in the subtrans and maybe drain and refill it to check for metal shavings in the oil. Your description sounds more like a subtrans issue than a driveshaft problem.

Also check your shifter cable adjustment.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!