P500 Clockable winch

J

JTW

So Superwinch advertises their winch as being clockable.. however I found nothing in the directions or online to say exactly how.

Now, it was late and I screwed up royally...

On the Superwinch Terra 35 there are two Allen bolts you take out on the contact end BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE END COVER FROM THE WINCH!!! Simply rotate the cover to one of the 4 desired locations.. I REPETE do not remove the cover as you will be holding the cap that 4 brushes are attached to.. Usually no big deal.. but this is a sealed winch. 2 hours later and a lot of Afro engineering I got them back on the commutator. It's a simple thing to do and no big deal IF you know that the end cap with the electrical connections for the winch have the brushes connected to it!! Unfortunately I didn't take any pics.. but from the pics below you can see what I mean. Hopefully this helps some poor bastard down the road when they're googling how to rotate the contacts on a clockable winch!!!

Ps.. the last picture shows something like what's attached to the contact cap. The brushes are spring loaded and a MAJOR pita to get back on the commutator (that's the part that looks like a drill head).. Maybe I don't have the right tools for the job or just don't know what the hell I was doing but it's an easy mistake to make if you rotate your winch contacts!

IMG 0874 IMG 0873 IMG 0875 IMG 0876

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I feel your pain. I bought a cheap winch from someone on this forum. During installation I discovered it wasn't "clockable". I had to drill and tap new holes to keep the terminal from resting against a bracket. Sadly, 90° was no better so I had to do it twice. I dropped the brushes the first time.

Reactions: JTW
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good to know!

However, I didn't see any reason to re-clock my Terra 35. I've had it on there a while now, and used it a couple times with no issues.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Good to know!

However, I didn't see any reason to re-clock my Terra 35. I've had it on there a while now, and used it a couple times with no issues.
The cable location when mounted on the strongmade bumper is better located at 12&6 for protection.

J

JTW

I feel your pain. I bought a cheap winch from someone on this forum. During installation I discovered it wasn't "clockable". I had to drill and tap new holes to keep the terminal from resting against a bracket. Sadly, 90° was no better so I had to do it twice. I dropped the brushes the first time.
Yeah.. that would suck!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good to know!

Mine bolted to the Stronge Made bumper just fine as well, and cables and terminals are protected fine.

J

JTW

I didn't like the 4:30 location of the terminal..It would probably be fine but I felt it left it exposed to being hit and caught on stuff more than if it were rotated to 12 & 6... so I moved it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!