Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So my Talon X4LV is in the shop getting Torq Lockers installed as well as an IGR. The tech messaged me yesterday that the number one clutch pack has discoloration from overheating and that he is going to replace it. I’m assuming this is coming from my slow crawling the steep and rocky trails of the Rockies at elevation. Hopefully the IGR will be relief for the clutches….🤔

Reactions: Remington
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would think the IGR would be a big help clutch wise while crawling unless you plan on offsetting the reduction back to stock with larger tires than you run now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would think the IGR would be a big help clutch wise while crawling unless you plan on offsetting the reduction back to stock with larger tires than you run now.
Oh no, I’m perfectly satisfied with my current tire size….👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Can you get a picture of the clutch?
E556F867 5349 4B39 B755 0D6C7E692625

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry to tell you but the type IGR you are installing is before the clutches so it will actually increase the stress on the clutches, not reduce it. This is the reason I elected not to use this type of gear reduction.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry to tell you but the type IGR you are installing is before the clutches so it will actually increase the stress on the clutches, not reduce it. This is the reason I elected not to use this type of gear reduction.
Well that sucks……
What IGR are you using?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not. I am waiting for something inside the Sub-Trans to become readily available without all the associated "drama" (if you know what I mean).
Haha, absolutely wish that would happen….🙄

In the mean time I guess I’ll get clutches replaced under extended warranty along with free oil changes….😂

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Haha, absolutely wish that would happen….🙄

In the mean time I guess I’ll get clutches replaced under extended warranty along with free oil changes….😂
If I were your dealer, I would no longer warranty your clutches because you have the IGR installed. Good thing I am not your dealer :)

• Haha
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If I were your dealer, I would no longer warranty your clutches because you have the IGR installed. Good thing I am not your dealer :)
😂 True, and good thing I’ve got a good tech….😎

H

HondaTech

Honestly Honda isnt covering this set of clutches, if they get paid for his dealer is either eating them or paying for it some other way.

Besides the point that those clutches are actually decent. The fibers arent even darkened yet and the plates are pretty normal looking to me anyway.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Honestly Honda isnt covering this set of clutches, if they get paid for his dealer is either eating them or paying for it some other way.

Besides the point that those clutches are actually decent. The fibers arent even darkened yet and the plates are pretty normal looking to me anyway.
Ok, I appreciate that. Apparently my tech feels they should be, and he’s aware of my extended warranty. Me, I just want a good fun and properly functioning Talon to do what I most enjoy, and I’ll let you guys sort out the rest…. 😊👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have seen a lot of clutch packs.If they are going to replace go for it.But what ever you are doing keep it up your clutch likes you
No operator error here….😎👍

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

I would have no problem re-using that pack, looks good to me as well. Doesn't the clutch pack come as one complete assembly, basket and all? I haven't seen aftermarket steels and frictions yet but I know some guys are getting custom relined stuff now.

@Montecresto Tell the dealer you want the old parts back if he's changing that clutch pack. I'd throw you a few bucks for it to have as a spare.

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto
H

HondaTech

I would have no problem re-using that pack, looks good to me as well. Doesn't the clutch pack come as one complete assembly, basket and all? I haven't seen aftermarket steels and frictions yet but I know some guys are getting custom relined stuff now.

@Montecresto Tell the dealer you want the old parts back if he's changing that clutch pack. I'd throw you a few bucks for it to have as a spare.

We're fixing to start season 3 on the original clutches in the race car.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and lee
H

HondaTech

That's impressive! Do you guys inspect them at all during the race season?

We had the entire engine apart after the 12 hour race last year because the pistons cracked.

Then we replaced the block due to cracking the right side near the engine mount.

Just had it apart mid way thru the season to bore the cylinders for clearance with new pistons.

Everytime they looked fine, never dissembled the engine just to check the clutch. But it never seems to faulter. We do a clutch relearn between races after a fluid change. Seems to be holding up.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's sucks you guys had that string of bad luck with the engine but at least you got to inspect the internals along the way to see how it was all holding up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!