Clutch Pack

H

HondaTech

What problems are you having with the head?

It blew a headgasket early this season, thats when we found out the pistons werent correct.

Everything looked ok, but it always had lower compression on the front cylinder, sporatic idling isssues, and weird leakdown.

We think it might have messed a couple valves/seats up when the gasket blew. Weve got a new head and valves. Gonna see what happens.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
IGR has been installed, number one clutch pack, and clutch relearn. Torq lockers are also in. Tech did a quick drive test, says it’s very torquey, the reduction is quite noticeable. He says the Torq Lockers are a bit noisy, and impossible to use on asphalt and hard pack (shouldn’t be needed then anyway)…
But he’s not happy with the steering, and isn’t sure that it’s related but is going into the boots, he said there seems to be looseness at the tie rod connection on the steering rack…..🤔 maybe I should have him install the aftermarket steering rack that some of you guys are using?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
IGR has been installed, number one clutch pack, and clutch relearn. Torq lockers are also in. Tech did a quick drive test, says it’s very torquey, the reduction is quite noticeable. He says the Torq Lockers are a bit noisy, and impossible to use on asphalt and hard pack (shouldn’t be needed then anyway)…
But he’s not happy with the steering, and isn’t sure that it’s related but is going into the boots, he said there seems to be looseness at the tie rod connection on the steering rack…..🤔 maybe I should have him install the aftermarket steering rack that some of you guys are using?

I would definitely replace the rack with an RB3 billet unit. The stock racks are weak and tend to break at the least convenient time and could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If you are out adventuring by yourself I would strongly suggest a new rack and an aftermarket tie rod setup. The ZRP tie rods I run on my race car are another awesome product. They replace the entire tie rod assembly from the rack out so you are not stuck using the factory inner tie rods. The machined parts of the kit are like jewelry and they use high quality heims on both sides of the adjuster. As a bonus ZRP gives you an unlimited life time warranty against anything breaking, even under race use! 😎 I broke a steering knuckle stud when I crashed the car at the end of the season and ZRP had a new one at my door the same week free of charge.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would definitely replace the rack with an RB3 billet unit. The stock racks are weak and tend to break at the least convenient time and could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If you are out adventuring by yourself I would strongly suggest a new rack and an aftermarket tie rod setup. The ZRP tie rods I run on my race car are another awesome product. They replace the entire tie rod assembly from the rack out so you are not stuck using the factory inner tie rods. The machined parts of the kit are like jewelry and they use high quality heims on both sides of the adjuster. As a bonus ZRP gives you an unlimited life time warranty against anything breaking, even under race use! 😎 I broke a steering knuckle stud when I crashed the car at the end of the season and ZRP had a new one at my door the same week free of charge.
I really want to use the RB3 steering rack, and especially now that the tech tells me mine is wore out. But, Honda’s not going to work with me on the warranty with RB3’s product of course, and at $1,100.00 for the part alone, I just told him to replace it with the OEM under warranty and I’ll get around to doing the RB3 in the future….

Right now with the IGR and lockers it’s several K deep already….😳

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Tech worked on it until 7:30 last night, was having trouble initializing the steering torq sensor when he left. He’ll resume work on it this morning, but said he may end up having to order a new one….😡
Which means I won’t get it out for a test drive today as I had hoped to….🤞

H

HondaTech

Tech worked on it until 7:30 last night, was having trouble initializing the steering torq sensor when he left. He’ll resume work on it this morning, but said he may end up having to order a new one….😡
Which means I won’t get it out for a test drive today as I had hoped to….🤞

Its can be a pia.

The blink pattern at the end sometimes doesnt match what the book says.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Its can be a pia.

The blink pattern at the end sometimes doesnt match what the book says.
Hmmm, is it usually overcome or have you had to replace the sensor?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ive done several that took.

Theres a Wrench article about doing the procedure.
Ok, well he got it ironed out and messaged me to come get it so I’ll hit the trail tomorrow and put it through the tests all day, then carry it back to him Tuesday to have all the fluids replaced…hopefully everything is good….👍

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Got about 50 miles on it today and I’m thrilled with it. Loved the lockers (no steering issues in 4WD) and the IGR is perfect. Can’t wait for the real test back in the Rockies….

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i guess i will see if honda fixed the clutch with the update.Been working the piss out of this bike plowing snow .Reverse gets grabby after about a hour of plowing.No dead stalls here just working it.I hope its up to the task thats one reason i bought it.The heater and cab will turn you into a sissy.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Put it through the test on the steepest hill climbs I could find in this 86,000 acre section of national forest I ride in some times and where I use to have to hit it with a little speed and the front wheels spinning and grabbing, spinning and grabbing, 5 mph to keep the rpm’s at or above 2000, it just crawled at 2-3 mph with the rpm’s 2300-2600 and the lockers pulling with no spin at all. Going to save on rubber now too.

In low it red lines at 44 mph now and in high I never had a spot where I could get above 50 but it was doing about 6800 so I’m thinking probably it will top out around 60 or so…

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!