P1000 Clutch Relearn, If it ain't broke don't fix it?

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No clutch issues, but is it worth doing a clutch relearn just to re-calibrate as things wear over time?

Reactions: TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
50/50

50% it will work
50% it will fail and leave you with big problems.

I don't recommend it.... But that's me, because I have seen too many people doing it "just because" and end up having to tearing their transmission apart to get it to reset.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I am one of those that did a coustom tune and then decided to do a clutch relearn. We'll the relearn failed and I had to have some work done to get it to except a relearn.
IMO if your not having problems ,I would not do the relearn.

Reactions: CID and NTCPrezJB
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm listening to those above.

I also follow a Honda mechanic blog. Relearn is their recommendation - opinion.

So, right or wrong, have been doing it at every oil change, successfully. Probably a couple times just because.

Have heard it "helps with clutch wear"?
Can't say it's really anything noticeable.

Sometimes it seems the shift pattern is relearning how I drive, but I could have read this too.
My rig is stock.
Edit - I do have the fix what ain't broke tendency.
Cheers!
JDO

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm listening to those above.

I also follow a Honda mechanic blog as well. Relearn is their recommendation - opinion.

So, right or wrong, have been doing it at every oil change, successfully. Probably a couple times just because.

Have heard it "helps with clutch wear"?
Can't say it's really anything noticeable.

Sometimes it seems the shift pattern is relearning how I drive, but I could have read this too.
My rig is stock.
Edit - I do have the fix what ain't broke tendency.
Cheers!
JDO
I'm well into my 70's and tech scares the crap outta me. My clutches are dragging 'a bit' and I know if I try a relearn, it'll fail and I'll be stuck with the MT/AT stuck on until the end of time. :oops: Give me real carb jets and clutch linkage that I can adjust for free play and I'll live happily ever after. I HATE TECHNOLOGY ...

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In out experience I've only had a few machines that wouldn't take a clutch relearn with no noticeable issues before servicing.

If the unit has know problems (slipping clutches, idling problems or stalling) then it'll probably not take. But the other issue needs to be addressed. Clutch relearns won't ever fix anything except maybe a unit that creeps in gear but it could be too late for that as well if the unit has been doing it for a long time.

Almost all of those issues have been fixed by replacing the PC Solenoid due to debris in the oil. Those units have all been abused or not had the oil/air filter changed regularly and the inside of the engine was terribly dirty. But in hindsight, those unit exhibited a very similar clutch takeup when applying throttle; very abrupt and almost hard to ease into the throttle and pull way from a stop without a jerk or stalling.

The 1 other unit was a Pioneer with a weird idling issue where once the clutch relearn was initiated the idle would increase and freak the pcm out. It just ended up needing a PCM reset due to a IACV that was trying to correct for fouled plugs and had burnt that into the PCM.

We've been suggested by Honda to do them every oil change, think of it like adjusting the clutch lever freeplay on a manual transmission atv or motorcycle.

In the event it won't take, you can shut the unit off and drive it like normal with at/mt on, it'll operate normally.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm well into my 70's and tech scares the crap outta me. My clutches are dragging 'a bit' and I know if I try a relearn, it'll fail and I'll be stuck with the MT/AT stuck on until the end of time. :oops: Give me real carb jets and clutch linkage that I can adjust for free play and I'll live happily ever after. I HATE TECHNOLOGY ...
Mine was creeping when in gear and was hard shifting from H or L into P. I did a clutch relearn and it worked great. It won't move without throttle now. 14K km and I only did a relearn the one time.

Reactions: Hawk53 and CID
G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is hard to get into low sometimes. If it won't engage, I move the lever back to neutral then try it again and it will go into low. May have to do this a couple of times to get it to engage in low.
Maybe a relearn would help. 🤔

Reactions: CID
advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine is hard to get into low sometimes. If it won't engage, I move the lever back to neutral then try it again and it will go into low. May have to do this a couple of times to get it to engage in low.
I try to shift into Low when I'm barely rolling, like one mph, especially when cold. It's kinda like double clutching an old transmission without syncros. Obviously, this won't work if you're stuck but that's rare for me.

C

coglesby

Aug 13, 2024
Sherman, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i bought preowned from a dealer and the unit was serviced when I got it. It shifted extremely hard. I did clutch relearn and the shifting improved significantly.

Reactions: Hawk53 and CID
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I try to shift into Low when I'm barely rolling, like one mph, especially when cold. It's kinda like double clutching an old transmission without syncros. Obviously, this won't work if you're stuck but that's rare for me.
Exactly. It's like changing gears on my old Allis Chalmers tractors. Slow roll to get the gears lined up and goes right in

Reactions: CID
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm no expert but a clutch relearn should have nothing to do with high, low, reverse. Separate gear box

Reactions: Hawk53 and Hondasxs
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought if the clutch was allowing input to spin with more force, going in and outta gear may be troublesome at times

If your having difficulty shifting between gears, then it's possible the clutch is "stuck" somewhat and applying drive force to the sub trans. This is especially more noticeable going into low

A relearn seems to fix it most time

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
In out experience I've only had a few machines that wouldn't take a clutch relearn with no noticeable issues before servicing.

If the unit has know problems (slipping clutches, idling problems or stalling) then it'll probably not take. But the other issue needs to be addressed. Clutch relearns won't ever fix anything except maybe a unit that creeps in gear but it could be too late for that as well if the unit has been doing it for a long time.

Almost all of those issues have been fixed by replacing the PC Solenoid due to debris in the oil. Those units have all been abused or not had the oil/air filter changed regularly and the inside of the engine was terribly dirty. But in hindsight, those unit exhibited a very similar clutch takeup when applying throttle; very abrupt and almost hard to ease into the throttle and pull way from a stop without a jerk or stalling.

The 1 other unit was a Pioneer with a weird idling issue where once the clutch relearn was initiated the idle would increase and freak the pcm out. It just ended up needing a PCM reset due to a IACV that was trying to correct for fouled plugs and had burnt that into the PCM.

We've been suggested by Honda to do them every oil change, think of it like adjusting the clutch lever freeplay on a manual transmission atv or motorcycle.

In the event it won't take, you can shut the unit off and drive it like normal with at/mt on, it'll operate normally.
I would say this is solid advice, as long as there is no underlying issues.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your having difficulty shifting between gears, then it's possible the clutch is "stuck" somewhat and applying drive force to the sub trans. This is especially more noticeable going into low

A relearn seems to fix it most time

Makes sense

Reactions: Rayger143