Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If the oil was clean it's not a burnt clutch. The oil would be black.
Not to rule out something else closley related.
Like a busted o-ring.

There was a report of debris in the valve body but I cant find it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If the oil was clean it's not a burnt clutch. The oil would be black.
Not to rule out something else closley related.
Like a busted o-ring.

There was a report of debris in the valve body but I cant find it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I hope you're right. That would be awesome if it was something that was covered by warranty lol. The oil looked clean to me. Thank you for the info!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I hope you're right. That would be awesome if it was something that was covered by warranty lol. The oil looked clean to me. Thank you for the info!
Sorry to hear it buddy! But the surging RPM before engagement is a telltale sign of a burnt clutchpack! I hope I am wrong and it is covered under warranty!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I feel the same. Im expecting to have to pay. Maybe he has spidey senses and can tell when its not a burnt clutch lol
Sorry to hear it buddy! But the surging RPM before engagement is a telltale sign of a burnt clutchpack! I hope I am wrong and it is covered under warranty!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I feel the same. Im expecting to have to pay. Maybe he has spidey senses and can tell when its not a burnt clutch lol

I hope that is what it is and not them just trying to get paid. If I remember correctly a clutch pack gaskets and oil change with two filters was close to $350 to do it your self and about 1,000 for them to do it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well a couple people with burnt clutches and new update is a little upsetting. Haven’t heard of too much, sorry to hear your problems continue
@Bastardchild. Not too bad at all to change it, don’t be afraid to swap it out yourself. You’re mechanical anyway. I pulled mine from the dealer still in pieces when they originally denied me, no biggie.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks I'll check with them and see , when I bought the Pioneer in 2018 it was a new 2016 that hasn't been sold and they told me the update has already been done to it.

Easy way to check for update being done, or see if you were lied to. Look for the rounded bump on the revised updated cover. If machine was new should have 1 year warranty.

Screenshot 20190119 170929 Chrome

Screenshot 20190119 172424 Drive

Reactions: Eltobgi
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I hope that is what it is and not them just trying to get paid. If I remember correctly a clutch pack gaskets and oil change with two filters was close to $350 to do it your self and about 1,000 for them to do it!
Ive been looking at exploded views and videos online. It doesnt look too complicated. We will see. I just got home from work and I havent heard anything at all from them. If they are working on it Im sure I would have gotten a call saying it was the clutch, and them calling me to ask permission to change it. Maybe they opened it and it wasnt the clutch and they just decided to fix whatever else it was without calling me to get my permission because the other thing that is wrong with it is covered under warranty. I am kinda in a time crunch too. We have a big ride and camp on the weekend of the 23rd this month and if its the clutch they may be able to get it done faster than me, even if it costs more. Maybe I can just let them do it this time and try to order a clutch pack and have it for future. I think they were like $281 on partsfish for 1clutch pack, but Im sure if I dug around I can find it cheaper somewhere. The labor part of the bill sure will be a hard pill to swallow.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well a couple people with burnt clutches and new update is a little upsetting. Haven’t heard of too much, sorry to hear your problems continue
@Bastardchild. Not too bad at all to change it, don’t be afraid to swap it out yourself. You’re mechanical anyway. I pulled mine from the dealer still in pieces when they originally denied me, no biggie.
Thats good to know that its not too bad of a fix. I studied it up online and came to the conclusion I could do it, but they might be able to do it quicker. On top of that, the money trees I just planted in the yard never bloomed! Lol

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well, they want $1309.39 to fix it, and said they can have it done by the end of next week. My wifes cousin knows a parts manager and says he's gonna try to get it for free for us, but I doubt that pans out. :(

Reactions: pct and Mudwing
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, they want $1309.39 to fix it, and said they can have it done by the end of next week. My wifes cousin knows a parts manager and says he's gonna try to get it for free for us, but I doubt that pans out. :(
What did they say is wrong with it?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I didnt ask too much. I was up in the air in the bucket messing with electricity when I got the text. The text said the dealer tried to get Honda to repair the clutch under warranty but Honda refused because the updated clutch has already been installed. He asked permission to make the repairs. I said yes and went on about my work. I made a mental note to pick up a couple of clutch packs for future repairs.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Im assuming at that price its both clutch packs, an oil an filter change, case gaskets, and the labor charge, maybe a few other things. Next time I will be doing it.
I've bought probably 6 clutch packs off ebay from totaled machines. Usually $50-$75 a piece. All of them have been like new. You can tell pretty quick from the pictures if it might be bad because the basket is usually black from over heating. It's real easy to just replace the 1st gear clutch plates in the stock basket without removing the whole center gear. If the plastics are out of the way I can change plates in 20 min. If you have to remove the whole gear with both packs, I modified a screw driver to get the gears realigned instead of having to take the whole back of the motor apart. I do not recall anyone burning up the 2, 4, 6 clutch pack.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Im assuming at that price its both clutch packs, an oil an filter change, case gaskets, and the labor charge, maybe a few other things. Next time I will be doing it.
I’ve never ran across anyone that burnt both packs! It’s always the same one! But that is a good thing!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've bought probably 6 clutch packs off ebay from totaled machines. Usually $50-$75 a piece. All of them have been like new. You can tell pretty quick from the pictures if it might be bad because the basket is usually black from over heating. It's real easy to just replace the 1st gear clutch plates in the stock basket without removing the whole center gear. If the plastics are out of the way I can change plates in 20 min. If you have to remove the whole gear with both packs, I modified a screw driver to get the gears realigned instead of having to take the whole back of the motor apart. I do not recall anyone burning up the 2, 4, 6 clutch pack.
Hey thats good info right there. Also, would you happen to have a picture of the modified screw driver? Where do you stick the screw driver? I seen a video where you spin the clutch or some gears and line up some holes and put a bolt through a hole in the gears to keep the gears in a certain position while you continue to take things apart. I want to have all these parts on stand-by for next time this nightmare happens. Thanks for the tips! Yall are awesome.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Also, Ive had a few people now tell me that the I.R.G. for a P1000 will help keep this from happening again. What is yalls opinion on that? Here is a screenshot of a guy on facebook that has 25% gear reductions for the P1000 for $950, plus $600 if you dont have the core. I dont do facebook, I just ran across it in a google search and his facebook came up and I screenshoted his price list. Also, on a different subject, I notice in his price list he has a gear reduction for the Rincon 680 engine, which is the engine in the Pioneer 700. Does this mean you can do an I.R.G. in a P700? Thats the number one thing people complain about in the 700 is that it doesnt have low gear. This could possibly fix that at the cost of some top end speed.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The stock gear on the crank is actually 2 gears with 1 being spring loaded against the other to take out backlash to the clutch gear. It is made to install a bolt through it before removing the whole clutch assembly to keep the gears aligned. The only way to put the bolt in is to remove the oil tank and center spacer (a lot more work). I modified a screwdriver to to be able to realign the gears without having to take all that apart.

The IGR crank gear is just a single gear so no issues as long as u get the center spacer machined by them. Other issues from the igr is getting it to shift correct.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!