P1000 Clutch slipping

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just my .02 your cooling system is fine if this is the first time you ran hot was in the forest. My 30's I run 4 bars in ONF I installed my spare set of 27in mudlite 2 bars occasionally touch 3 it's the sugar sand.
Yeah sugar sand is killer. Every machine we've ever had has had a problem with it. She was running her 30s also with me, her, and 2 other people in the sxs with a 75lb cooler of frosty adult beverages also.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Heres the ones I was talking about

20190225 152235 20190225 152222

Reactions: Plumber32
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Summit racing and others sale a water temperature warning light kit. Might be a safer alternative than the stock dash gauge if you do expect to clog the radiator often.

N

Nash

Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many miles have you guys had on the burnt clutch? Mine started having issues at about 700. Shop has it now trying to figure out what the issue is and checking to see if Honda will cover it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

Rocking

Apr 1, 2018
Eastern Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
850 on mine. The clutch burning was my fault. I was trying to move an immovable object.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How many miles have you guys had on the burnt clutch? Mine started having issues at about 700. Shop has it now trying to figure out what the issue is and checking to see if Honda will cover it.
Not sure. It cant be much though. I think ot was only the 2nd time we went riding. It was my fault though

Reactions: knuckledeep
Amonzo

Amonzo

May 7, 2018
Todd county, Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well lets start with it running. Took it to midsouth motoplex in clarksville tn around end of Jan. Called me and said they got it fixed but clutches were slipping. They performed update about a month before and I noticed it after they finished update. But just thought it was me. Well I called today tosee if it was wrapped up and no it wasn't. Said they put it back together and noticed it was still slipping. So I'm now angry. It's been a month and still have not gotten it back. Anyone else had this happen. Only has around 700 miles. Or has had service at this dealership.

G

gabrielmarciano

Mar 31, 2019
Point pleasant WV
Holy moly. You guys are scaring the hell out of me. 2016, 2018 machines burning up clutches???
Is it just a common expectation that it's going to fail? What happened to Honda being the most reliable machine out there. These machy are car money. Having second thoughts about buying new and definitely not buying used. I mean if backing out of a mud hole burns out the clutchs as operator error... I'm losing Confidence in Honda quality and toughness. Really disappointed after reading all these posts about DCT burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well lets start with it running. Took it to midsouth motoplex in clarksville tn around end of Jan. Called me and said they got it fixed but clutches were slipping. They performed update about a month before and I noticed it after they finished update. But just thought it was me. Well I called today tosee if it was wrapped up and no it wasn't. Said they put it back together and noticed it was still slipping. So I'm now angry. It's been a month and still have not gotten it back. Anyone else had this happen. Only has around 700 miles. Or has had service at this dealership.

Most likely they were toast before but that’s more time they can’t be working on a good paying repair so they threw the cooling update on and kicked you out the door.
Holy moly. You guys are scaring the hell out of me. 2016, 2018 machines burning up clutches???
Is it just a common expectation that it's going to fail? What happened to Honda being the most reliable machine out there. These machy are car money. Having second thoughts about buying new and definitely not buying used. I mean if backing out of a mud hole burns out the clutchs as operator error... I'm losing Confidence in Honda quality and toughness. Really disappointed after reading all these posts about DCT burn.

You’re fine with the cooling update you won’t delaminate the clutch due to heat. It improves cooling and transfers heat to the coolant. If you see the coolant idiot light on the dash come on you still haven’t screwed up a clutch or a motor unless you just keep being a complete idiot.

You won’t burn it up backing a trailer up or getting out of a mud hole unless your tires aren’t aren’t spinning/moving and just keep hammering on it for several minutes.

Amonzo

Amonzo

May 7, 2018
Todd county, Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most likely they were toast before but that’s more time they can’t be working on a good paying repair so they threw the cooling update on and kicked you out the door.
The update they completed was clutch and heat. But I was told I had a clogged injector. That caused loss of power and burnt the clutch. Didn't have enough power kick in second. But now with new clutches and update this thing is night and day.

You’re fine with the cooling update you won’t delaminate the clutch due to heat. It improves cooling and transfers heat to the coolant. If you see the coolant idiot light on the dash come on you still haven’t screwed up a clutch or a motor unless you just keep being a complete idiot.

You won’t burn it up backing a trailer up or getting out of a mud hole unless your tires aren’t aren’t spinning/moving and just keep hammering on it for several minutes.

Reactions: gabrielmarciano
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

The new update is supposed to be about 7 times more rugged as far as resistance to clutch failure. More cooling as mentioned above but also much more lubrication. It’s been a lot better. Was disappointed in Honda quality myself on this one but they did slowly take care of things and is now more the machine it should’ve been on day 1.
Any transmission setup can fail. If asked to do what a lot what some of us do a belt would likely fail much much sooner. Yami belt is better but Polaris and the others are very failure prone.
Changing clutches isn’t to big a deal and someone can change them for around 300 here’s the guide if you’d like to look

P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

Any rig has got to have slip somewhere. Belts included. The dct has much improved since it debuted and imo is so much better then the belt. We also have a Yamaha and I do like that particular belt (wouldn’t own any others anymore!) but it’s just not the same. The positives far exceed the negatives including longevity!

Reactions: TripleB
Amonzo

Amonzo

May 7, 2018
Todd county, Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new update is supposed to be about 7 times more rugged as far as resistance to clutch failure. More cooling as mentioned above but also much more lubrication. It’s been a lot better. Was disappointed in Honda quality myself on this one but they did slowly take care of things and is now more the machine it should’ve been on day 1.
Any transmission setup can fail. If asked to do what a lot what some of us do a belt would likely fail much much sooner. Yami belt is better but Polaris and the others are very failure prone.
Changing clutches isn’t to big a deal and someone can change them for around 300 here’s the guide if you’d like to look

P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

Any rig has got to have slip somewhere. Belts included. The dct has much improved since it debuted and imo is so much better then the belt. We also have a Yamaha and I do like that particular belt (wouldn’t own any others anymore!) but it’s just not the same. The positives far exceed the negatives including longevity!
Finally got mine back about 2 weeks ago. I had already had clutch update, cabin comfort update, and heat shield on exhaust date. But due to a clogged injector my machine did not have enough power to kick in second clutch and that is what burnt my clutch. But now since new clutch and clutch update together this thing is like wow.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally got mine back about 2 weeks ago. I had already had clutch update, cabin comfort update, and heat shield on exhaust date. But due to a clogged injector my machine did not have enough power to kick in second clutch and that is what burnt my clutch. But now since new clutch and clutch update together this thing is like wow.
That’s good news glad to hear that. Did they say what might’ve clogged the passage? Previous clutch debris?

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No just said it was a clogged fuel injector. And try to use as little ethanol as possible as possible.

If you live in an area like I do where non-ethanol gas is pretty much impossible (or at least very impractical by being too far away) consider running a fuel additive. I run Startron in everything. I add 1oz to each 5 gallon can on gas when I fill them up and I never have fuel issues with any of my toys. Hell, even the 14 year old lawn mower after sitting for 6 months over the winter fires right up.

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
With 50/50 antifreeze the boiling point is about 220 degs. Under pressure from the radiator cap raises it to around 250 degs to boil. If the fan is working right (reflash at dealer if needed), the radiator is not clogged and there is no air in the system to begin with ( A lot of people have to burp a new rig) you shouldn't have any overheating issues. I don't think I've ever saw 3 bars on mine. I think my bumper and skid has helped a lot to keep mud out of the radiator. If you are going to be doing a lot of mud, you might want to look into a radiator relocate or maybe something a couple inches away from the front of the radiator to help block mud. We use some 12v pumps to spray out the radiators on the trail. Got to be careful with high pressure on the radiator fins. It can bend them internally and block air flow. The fan shroud is also about an inch away from the radiator which make the fan pretty ineffective but I'm assuming its like that to help wash mud out.

I realize there have been numerous posts about P1000 overheating but I have a new one. New 2018 tracked P1000 boils over after 5miles of driving up a road at 10'000ft here in CO. Dealer in Montrose has done EVERYTHING suggested by Honda Tech services line and couldnt find anything wrong. Owner of the dealership took my P1000 out and confirmed overheat after just 5miles. I must keep RPM down to 5000 in order to make it up hill and carefully watch the temp gauge. I routinely must stop at the 10,000ft level and let it cool. Im now in the hands of Honda Corp Customer Service Case Mgr awaiting some sort of action. Any of you guys have experience here?

Reactions: Herbie
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The two most common issues are fan not turning on and air in the system. There’s an update at the dealer for fan. Air is hard to get out of the system without bleeding it. I’d think dealer would’ve caught either. Do you hear the fan?

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
The two most common issues are fan not turning on and air in the system. There’s an update at the dealer for fan. Air is hard to get out of the system without bleeding it. I’d think dealer would’ve caught either. Do you hear the fan?
Dealer elevated rig to burp air, found little bubble. Dealer verified coolant flow by removing hoses. Found nothing. Dealer verified fan op to come on according to new flash. Nothing found. Dealer pressurized sys. to verify head gasket ok,, found nothing. I cant believe Honda would field a rig that cant run 6000rpm climbing a hill at 10,000ft. Polaris RZRs pass me like Im standing still. I have the only Honda up here. Everyone else buys Polaris.

Reactions: Bastardchild
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dealer elevated rig to burp air, found little bubble. Dealer verified coolant flow by removing hoses. Found nothing. Dealer verified fan op to come on according to new flash. Nothing found. Dealer pressurized sys. to verify head gasket ok,, found nothing. I cant believe Honda would field a rig that cant run 6000rpm climbing a hill at 10,000ft. Polaris RZRs pass me like Im standing still. I have the only Honda up here. Everyone else buys Polaris.
Do you know if they bled the machine through the bleeder in the rear?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Have you tried replacing the radiator cap?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!