P1000 Clutch slipping

Bigten350

Bigten350

Feb 6, 2019
Nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 p1000-5 and my clutch is slipping. Do they sell a clutch kit or you have to buy the clutch assembly . Having a hard time just finding anything on a kit , thanks

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a 2016 p1000-5 and my clutch is slipping. Do they sell a clutch kit or you have to buy the clutch assembly . Having a hard time just finding anything on a kit , thanks
You have to buy the whole assembly. Not sure if you’re aware but Honda has a clutch campaign going. If you bring it to your dealership you can get a new clutch and update kit free of charge

Bigten350

Bigten350

Feb 6, 2019
Nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks I'll check with them and see , when I bought the Pioneer in 2018 it was a new 2016 that hasn't been sold and they told me the update has already been done to it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks I'll check with them and see , when I bought the Pioneer in 2018 it was a new 2016 that hasn't been sold and they told me the update has already been done to it.
Well if it hasn’t been done they will have record of it. But either way I’d just bring it in and they should take care of it
Curiosity though are you running any high power accessories or oversized tires?
And btw welcome to the club!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks . I have 30x9x14 and 3" lift . I also have done the dual battery setup , running my fan under the seat , SSV radio, led light bar and 2 pods .
Ok ya nothing out of ordinary. Was just curious on setup because if it has been done I haven’t heard of many issues thought weird and also making sure you didn’t have anything strange the dealer might use as reason to give you hell.

Reactions: pct and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok ya nothing out of ordinary. Was just curious on setup because if it has been done I haven’t heard of many issues thought weird and also making sure you didn’t have anything strange the dealer might use as reason to give you hell.

And why would you have any idea about that kind of an upgrade to a Pioneer @CumminsPusher?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The update has all but fixed the clutch problems. I dont recall anyone, under normal use, having problems after the update.

Tomorrow. I'll will shoot you a picture and info on how to tell if yours has the update done or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

MikeT

Jan 30, 2019
north carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The update has all but fixed the clutch problems. I dont recall anyone, under normal use, having problems after the update.

Tomorrow. I'll will shoot you a picture and info on how to tell if yours has the update done or not.

Hondasxs, can you please post that on the forum..? I am buying a 2016 this week and would like to be able to tell if this has been done or not!
Thanks!!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yea. The link above has details.
The update adds this little tab by the emergancy valve. Here are a few close ups.
If you have this tab. Then you have the new clutch cover. 7be2dd71e72da1e734de000d4eab2085Fa0a1e7f34df85389580077f3ed8df12

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hondasxs, can you please post that on the forum..? I am buying a 2016 this week and would like to be able to tell if this has been done or not!
Thanks!!!
No worries though it still quality for the campaign. A Honda dealership will be able to tell off the vin usually if it’s been done as well.

Reactions: pct
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yea. The link above has details.
The update adds this little tab by the emergancy valve. Here are a few close ups.
If you have this tab. Then you have the new clutch cover. View attachment 106964View attachment 106965

Excellent info! The wifes started slipping also. I suspect burnt clutch but Im checking everything I can before taking it to the dealer in the morning. Its a 2018 P1000-5. I will look to see if it has been done from the factory. Thanks for posting this.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent info! The wifes started slipping also. I suspect burnt clutch but Im checking everything I can before taking it to the dealer in the morning. Its a 2018 P1000-5. I will look to see if it has been done from the factory. Thanks for posting this.
It should be done from factory. Check your oil levels before taking it in. If it is a tiny bit low, they could potentially tell you it is not covered.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It should be done from factory. Check your oil levels before taking it in. If it is a tiny bit low, they could potentially tell you it is not covered.
I will check again. The engine oil and the sub tranny fluid both were at the correct levels and looked clean. From what Ive read here and there it says the engine oil will be darker and have a burnt smell to it if the clutch is burnt. It is not burnt or have a burnt smell, but its acting like what people say it acts like with a burnt clutch. Checking all the grounds and electrical quick connections tonight. Also the connections on all the computer thingys under the seat and here and there. The rpm's definetly raise before it shifts between 2nd and 3rd, and again between 4th and 5th. It also seems like when you drop it in high or low you have to give it slightly more gas to get the clutch to engage. Thanks for the input! :)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I checked, it has been done from the factory. I cleaned a bunch of connections and plugged them back in last night. No difference. Gonna load it up on the trailer in a bit and strike out for the dealer. Thanks for the help. :)

R

Rocking

Apr 1, 2018
Eastern Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked, it has been done from the factory. I cleaned a bunch of connections and plugged them back in last night. No difference. Gonna load it up on the trailer in a bit and strike out for the dealer. Thanks for the help. :)
I picked mine up from the dealer service department today. It was doing the same as yours. They installed a new clutch no questions asked. Honda approved the new clutch even though they had done the housing upgrade a few months ago and the clutch was fine then.
I was well pleased they took care of it as I didn’t expect it and had contributed to its failure.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I picked mine up from the dealer service department today. It was doing the same as yours. They installed a new clutch no questions asked. Honda approved the new clutch even though they had done the housing upgrade a few months ago and the clutch was fine then.
I was well pleased they took care of it as I didn’t expect it and had contributed to its failure.
Im glad they did for you. The dealer called me a few hours ago to get verbal permission to tear into the tranny. They said they called Honda, and Honda said to call me, for whatever reason. He said they have done all the preliminary checks and the computer system doesnt show any codes, the oil and fluid levels were good, and not burnt, but the couldnt get through the clutch initialization process, and the next step was to open it up. He says he doesnt think the clutch is burnt, he thinks its something else. He also says that being its an '18 that has the upgraded case from the factory, that Honda wont replace the burnt clutch packs under warranty. They deem it to be 'Operator error'. I fully expect it to be a burnt clutch pack even though he thinks it isnt, but who knows. He see's Pioneer 1000s come in everyday with problems. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!