P1000 clutch update done

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
My uncle lives in Cumming Ga... we may have to haul the Honda down the next time we go.
been past cumming a lot in the past 4 hours from blythe we camp there a lot were only 50 miles south of it.

Reactions: JTW
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Congrats...wish the dealer that has mine for the last 3 1/2 weeks was as efficient. Dropped mine off the day after Thanksgiving, they are saying it needs both clutches, waiting on Honda.

Update, Dealership said mine would be ready on the 28th after almost 5 weeks they were waiting for 2 washers from Honda. The dealership is 3 hours away so we decided to make a weekend of it and ride this weekend. Loaded up the toy hauler with food and drinks and head out Thursday afternoon. Arrive at the dealership at 4:30 and they say not ready have to pull the pan to clean out the fibers from the clutches, will be ready 10:30 Friday the 29th. No problem we went to the campground and set up. Long story short, arrived at 10:45 and they need to just sync the clutches. OK, we will wait in the parking lot. Needless to say at 4PM they came out and said there was a problem and could not get the clutches to sync and need to call Honda tech support but they are closed until the 3rd. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.......(rant over).

Reactions: BigOL3 and JTW
J

JTW

Update, Dealership said mine would be ready on the 28th after almost 5 weeks they were waiting for 2 washers from Honda. The dealership is 3 hours away so we decided to make a weekend of it and ride this weekend. Loaded up the toy hauler with food and drinks and head out Thursday afternoon. Arrive at the dealership at 4:30 and they say not ready have to pull the pan to clean out the fibers from the clutches, will be ready 10:30 Friday the 29th. No problem we went to the campground and set up. Long story short, arrived at 10:45 and they need to just sync the clutches. OK, we will wait in the parking lot. Needless to say at 4PM they came out and said there was a problem and could not get the clutches to sync and need to call Honda tech support but they are closed until the 3rd. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.......(rant over).
Yeah.. I’d be livid!

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's unreal!

Reactions: BigOL3
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last night I was pouring through the forum dreaming of modifications and saw the multiple posts about the clutch updates. So I was suppose to pick up my new leftover 2016 P1K-3 today and when they opened before I headed over, I called the owner/salesman and asked him if the clutch update was done on the machine I was buying. He said he didn't know and he would look into it. He called me back about an hour later and said it had not been done. He said he had ordered the parts and they would be there Friday. He expected it to be ready on Saturday or Monday. He also said if I wanted, I could take the machine now and do the update later if I started having problems. I said now is good. Yes I will be double checking all the fluid levels before I load it up on the trailer.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last night I was pouring through the forum dreaming of modifications and saw the multiple posts about the clutch updates. So I was suppose to pick up my new leftover 2016 P1K-3 today and when they opened before I headed over, I called the owner/salesman and asked him if the clutch update was done on the machine I was buying. He said he didn't know and he would look into it. He called me back about an hour later and said it had not been done. He said he had ordered the parts and they would be there Friday. He expected it to be ready on Saturday or Monday. He also said if I wanted, I could take the machine now and do the update later if I started having problems. I said now is good. Yes I will be double checking all the fluid levels before I load it up on the trailer.

You're going to like it!!!!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@OnTheJob
Thanks for the note. I would like to clarify a few things.
Did they order the parts?
and, do you plan to take it back soon or wait till it slips?

Please keep us updated on the status.
Thanks.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dealer ordered the parts. Should arrive Friday. Dealer install completed Sat or Mon. I pick up after that.

Reactions: strongbuilt
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dealer ordered the parts. Should arrive Friday. Dealer install completed Sat or Mon. I pick up after that.
Thanks.
I'm asking because my dealer claims the part has been on backorder for several week. I had planned to stop by this week to see.

Reactions: strongbuilt
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Afterwards, the dealership owner, who was selling me the machine, sounded as if he was somewhere between embarrassed and/or annoyed that either he didn't know about this issue or if this machine he was selling had the update. He was very prompt to deal with it. Is that possible? Granted, small operation and he only has 5-6 SxS in his inventory, mostly a motorcycle sales place.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Afterwards, the dealership owner, who was selling me the machine, sounded as if he was somewhere between embarrassed and/or annoyed that either he didn't know about this issue or if this machine he was selling had the update. He was very prompt to deal with it. Is that possible? Granted, small operation and he only has 5-6 SxS in his inventory, mostly a motorcycle sales place.
Never the less, GREAT!

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I'm asking because my dealer claims the part has been on backorder for several week. I had planned to stop by this week to see.
I called the Honda 800 number yesterday and asked what the rep knew about a clutch campaign. He provided all the relevant facts and indicated that while I did not need a letter, the parts were backordered. He stressed that I would need to sync with the local dealer as Honda does not own or control the local dealerships.

Not sure if I got the February date for parts availability from him or somewhere else, but I'm going to finish duck season before I pursue it any more. Plan to get the heat and clutch updates done at the same time if the local dealers will comply.

Reactions: Hondasxs
H

huxley2

Jan 13, 2018
Shreveport, La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are yall finding the clutch UPDATE to be on backorder? Or is the dealer just dicking around?
I'm waiting for one as well. been almost 2 months.

I’m #49 on the list at my dealer. Geez.

Not being critical of them, seem like good guys and straight shooters to me. Think this might on Honda.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dropped mine off at 10:30 this morning dealer called me at 3:10 this afternoon telling me it was finished. We drove to Chattanooga for the weekend so we’re gonna pick it up tomorrow and head home.

Mine was not slipping and apparently had no evidence of overheating. So no clutch swap.

I’m not sure what these multi-Brand dealers are telling people but if they aren’t saying “yes sir we will take care of you and get you back on the trail PDQ” I wouldn’t trust them any further than I could throw a burning RZR.

Edit: I went to Chattanooga Honda NOT Sothern PowerSports in Chattanooga, I had originally scheduled it for a few weeks ago but traveling on closed icy interstates was not ideal. Chattanooga Honda has probably 20 Pioneers on display so they sell one or two on occasion. They are NOT a multi-brand dealer.

The dealer 30mins from my house is a P****** dealer that sells other brands and you have to near force them under duress to acknowledge there is an update program they dog Honda and push P******.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The time Honda is paying the dealer for the clutch update is at least an hour short of what it really takes. Not sure of the hours paid with the clutch replacement included but quite a bit more work. Mine is noticeably smoother taking off but feels softer shifting after warming up at lower rpm.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
J

JTW

My dealer said they were back ordered and Honda has given priority to the machines with problems... he put me on the list as soon as he can get the parts. He also said if he saw ANY discoloration that he’d do the clutches too. He said they have to drive the machine and have it there incase a rep shows up so there was no point in bringing it in and just letting it sit until he got the parts. Mehh, I don’t know if I fully believe him. But he does a nice job of bulls***ting.

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4

Not being critical of them, seem like good guys and straight shooters to me. Think this might on Honda.
Tok

Drop mine off that morning for the clutch update picked it up that after noon, did the heat kit yesterday 3.1 hours on the sheet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My dealer said they were back ordered and Honda has given priority to the machines with problems... he put me on the list as soon as he can get the parts. He also said if he saw ANY discoloration that he’d do the clutches too. He said they have to drive the machine and have it there incase a rep shows up so there was no point in bringing it in and just letting it sit until he got the parts. Mehh, I don’t know if I fully believe him. But he does a nice job of bulls***ting.
Must not like you:rolleyes:!

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took mine in today for heat and clutch updates. Pick her up Wednesday. How many are they having to replace the clutch pack on I wonder?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!