BOX1

P1000 Clutch Update Question

W

WillieRivers

Aug 7, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoke with Honda shop in College Station, Texas asking about the clutch update. They told me that they would need my Pioneer for at least 2 weeks to run test on the machine to see which fix it needs. Has anyone else heard about this testing? I have a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe. Thanks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Spoke with Honda shop in College Station, Texas asking about the clutch update. They told me that they would need my Pioneer for at least 2 weeks to run test on the machine to see which fix it needs. Has anyone else heard about this testing? I have a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe. Thanks.
What??? That's a bunch of bulls*** lol. I'm wondering if they're discouraging you or just really don't know.
Welcome to the forum however, have you had any issues or just preventative maintenance?

Reactions: Rincon and sharp
W

WillieRivers

Aug 7, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What??? That's a bunch of bulls*** lol. I'm wondering if they're discouraging you or just really don't know.
Welcome to the forum however, have you had any issues or just preventative maintenance?
No issues to date. Just been using it around the ranch and wanted to have the update before we start taking it on the road this spring.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
What a joke, when I called about my 2017 they needed 10 days to get the parts per Honda. I dropped my off @0800 and they had the complete first service, comfort kit, and clutch cover done my 1430 the same day. They should not need you to leave your buggy there for 2 weeks.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Read the verbage in the campaign that has been posted.
In theory, they should be able to take it for a short drive, if it slips, order kit A, If clutches do not slip, order kit B. Take it home and have them call you when parts are in stock. Should not take more than a day to be installed.

W

WillieRivers

Aug 7, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just spoke with Mancuso Powersports back in Houston and they said that they have never heard of the testing for the clutch fix. Told me to bring it in and they would handle it for me. Will be towing my Pioneer back to Houston for the fix. Sad how some dealerships are. Thanks for the help.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just spoke with Mancuso Powersports back in Houston and they said that they have never heard of the testing for the clutch fix. Told me to bring it in and they would handle it for me. Will be towing my Pioneer back to Houston for the fix. Sad how some dealerships are. Thanks for the help.
Sounds like they're a little bit more experienced so that's definitely your better option!

D

Dasmoeturhead

I've got the Heat letter, and the clutch letter from Honda, and a DPF , and air bag recall on my 2015 Ram sitting on my desk. I'm so sick of this crap. Doesn't anybody give a s*** anymore about quality?
I could care less about the heat, but I would like the clutch fix. Who wouldn't. They ain't going to test my machine though. They should just put the clutch update on all of the Pioneers no F*****g questions asked. Wake the F**k up Honda!
My pioneer is a Damm fine machine, but I do baby it, mostly because I know who I am, and I ain't the one that wins all the drawings or lotterys. In fact never! And as a mechanic my entire adult life We Know s*** breaks. I'm just waiting for it to happen. Hope it don't, but I know better. It will probably frag when my wife is checking the mail. I just can't bring myself to instruct her on the 17,000 differant ways your supposed to operate this thing correctly to avoid a clutch problem. Honda, wake the F**K up. I bought Honda for reliability, so far so good, but others are finding out differently. That my friends Stinks.
Honda should send us all a new letter saying they will fix your machine without any BS coming out of the service managers pie hole who just last week was flipping burgers for a living.
Rant over.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got the Heat letter, and the clutch letter from Honda, and a DPF , and air bag recall on my 2015 Ram sitting on my desk. I'm so sick of this crap. Doesn't anybody give a s*** anymore about quality?
I could care less about the heat, but I would like the clutch fix. Who wouldn't. They ain't going to test my machine though. They should just put the clutch update on all of the Pioneers no F*****g questions asked. Wake the F**k up Honda!
My pioneer is a Damm fine machine, but I do baby it, mostly because I know who I am, and I ain't the one that wins all the drawings or lotterys. In fact never! And as a mechanic my entire adult life We Know s*** breaks. I'm just waiting for it to happen. Hope it don't, but I know better. It will probably frag when my wife is checking the mail. I just can't bring myself to instruct her on the 17,000 differant ways your supposed to operate this thing correctly to avoid a clutch problem. Honda, wake the F**K up. I bought Honda for reliability, so far so good, but others are finding out differently. That my friends Stinks.
Honda should send us all a new letter saying they will fix your machine without any BS coming out of the service managers pie hole who just last week was flipping burgers for a living.
Rant over.

Sorry man, its not Honda that's causing the problem, its the dealer.

Reactions: Rincon
W

WillieRivers

Aug 7, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rant over.

Being the trained investigator that I am, I see you have a hard time expressing yourself. Don't hold it in and you’ll feel better. J/K I total agree with you, these dealerships are direct representation for Honda. I too purchased my Honda for the reliability Honda is known for and expect them to honor the warranty work.

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Rant over.

In my experience. It’s the ones that are babied having issues. Just not enough rpm for lock up. I beat the hell out of mine and the clutches are still like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Dasmoeturhead get the air bag fixed.
It's the least sexy on the list, hopefully you will never need it an it will just sit there taking up space. But if you ever do need it you don't want it doing more harm than good (Takata air bag is spaying parts that can do lots of damage).

2nd on the list, look for a new steelership to work with.

H

HondaTech

Rant over.

The clutch fix is for every P1K, but you've got.to see it from our and Honda's perspective. They'd tried to get this stuff out there quick but don't have a lot of inventory. So their taking slipping clutches and new units at first. But I do believe now they'll let the dealer order for whoever, just need a VIN. It doesn't have to be slipping or gone to ok it. I as a tech do atleast 1 of these or a heat kit a day sometimes both or 2 of each. So we're busting then out as quick as possible and we're a Honda only dealer. So take in to account he bad multi line guys who don't care enough about Honda to help you guys. Those are the ones who seem to be causing the issue. Bring it to KY I guarantee you I'll do it before you get lunch, after the parts get there ofcourse.

Ask those 570 Ranger guys how the heat feels, then ask them what Polaris is doing about It, not a damm thing.

D

Dasmoeturhead

In my experience. It’s the ones that are babied having issues. Just not enough rpm for lock up. I beat the hell out of mine and the clutches are still like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should have clarified , I baby it in those conditions that would cause the clutchs to heat up. I shouldn't have to do that.

Scotty

Scotty

Oct 25, 2017
Concord nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch fix is for every P1K, but you've got.to see it from our and Honda's perspective. They'd tried to get this stuff out there quick but don't have a lot of inventory. So their taking slipping clutches and new units at first. But I do believe now they'll let the dealer order for whoever, just need a VIN. It doesn't have to be slipping or gone to ok it. I as a tech do atleast 1 of these or a heat kit a day sometimes both or 2 of each. So we're busting then out as quick as possible and we're a Honda only dealer. So take in to account he bad multi line guys who don't care enough about Honda to help you guys. Those are the ones who seem to be causing the issue. Bring it to KY I guarantee you I'll do it before you get lunch, after the parts get there ofcourse.

Ask those 570 Ranger guys how the heat feels, then ask them what Polaris is doing about It, not a damm thing.

H

HondaTech

No their what I feel the P1K should have been from the start. Smooth engagement and no jerking or engine lugging up hills.

We've got 2 guys with werll over 5000 miles a piece on 2 three seat 2016 models and never had a clutch issue. Both are farmers, one soy beans, one a dairy farmer. They don't baby it either, so they can take t.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I took my P1 in for the last, I hope clutch improvement, I was honest with Keylan, service manager ( Heartland Honda ) and told him my clutches weren't slipping, but shook violently on easy take off, he told me the clutch plates were sticking and the shacking was from the plates separating and my plates have over heated, doesn't make since to me, but hey I'm a plumber! Iv'e just been hammering it on the trails on take off, can't really do that in the yard though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Rant over.
That makes me feel a little better about some of my rants lol. I guess what pissed me off was the continued denial from the manufacturer that there is a serious problem with a couple things. Then shortly after Honda has 3 "fixes" in a row for things that weren't a problem or were totally self induced. But...nice to see things being addressed, it gains faith back amongst some of us. Most companies don't seem to care about product improvement on a specific model once it leaves the show room Honda has proved that they do

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!