Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree but most clutch failures are from super low speed slipping and large tires. The 5 seat model is heavier and usually loaded a lot more too. The 5 seat model probably has more clutch failure and they sell more too. I think Honda should have lower gearing to prevent most of the clutch failures. A torque converter would be great but the lower gearing would not cost very much. The Sport models will be interesting especially if they use the Pioneer 1000 engine package. If there is a hydraulic pressure problem the 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch should have a lot more failure.

There have been people like Jshell hook to another pioneer to pull them out of a mud hole and his vehicle never even spun the tires I just smoked a clutch is instantly. Me on the other hand with 30 inch tires can get in a bind and stab the throttle and the clutches will hold enough that it will kill the engine! There are multiple witnesses see that happen over and over when we were riding at bull run.

Then there's guys like CP that had two different machines and one never has a failure for him and the other has multiple failures. Seems as there's too much inconsistency in the parts in these machines or how they are assembled.

With all that said, I would buy another one if it was stolen today.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There have been people like Jshell hook to another pioneer to pull them out of a mud hole and his vehicle never even spun the tires I just smoked a clutch is instantly. Me on the other hand with 30 inch tires can get in a bind and stab the throttle and the clutches will hold enough that it will kill the engine! There are multiple witnesses see that happen over and over when we were riding at bull run.

Then there's guys like CP that had two different machines and one never has a failure for him and the other has multiple failures. Seems as there's too much inconsistency in the parts in these machines or how they are assembled.

Me too, I have been talking about chamfering the oil relief valves, that was done one on mine after clutch failure # 1. Now it shifts hard below 2000 RPM, hammer down , never even notice.

Reactions: joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had mine stuck in the snow where I had great traction on a mild uphill. I stabbed the throttle and it wouldn't back up. I shoveled a bit at all 4 wheels and it backed up with light throttle. The gearing needs to be lower in my opinion to prevent most of the clutch problems. Some dealers install large tires and I run 28 inch tires on my Pioneer 1000-3 and that's from new. It sucks to have to be careful with the low speed driving. I go on long remote solo 100 mile plus rides and I need good reliability so I don't have to walk out. I don't trust anything so I carry a small motorcycle in the back. The motorcycle saved me a from big walk on my Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger 900, and RZR 900.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree but most clutch failures are from super low speed slipping and large tires. The 5 seat model is heavier and usually loaded a lot more too. The 5 seat model probably has more clutch failure and they sell more too. I think Honda should have lower gearing to prevent most of the clutch failures. A torque converter would be great but the lower gearing would not cost very much. The Sport models will be interesting especially if they use the Pioneer 1000 engine package. If there is a hydraulic pressure problem the 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch should have a lot more failure.
I have driven many machines now and they definitely all felt different and I do think most whether machine or person related could've been either spared or life increased by a much lower reverse gear. I agree weight is a contributing factor either way. You think the clutches has been what's held up the Sport model? I figure when Honda releases the Pioneer with the update it'll help be a test bed for the Sport and it'll be a bit after that to come out. Even though most clutches have been good when you reinvent the wheel like Honda did in transmission and it doesn't go perfect it becomes a pr nightmare so I'm expecting much better results with the Talon.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I had mine stuck in the snow where I had great traction on a mild uphill. I stabbed the throttle and it wouldn't back up. I shoveled a bit at all 4 wheels and it backed up with light throttle. The gearing needs to be lower in my opinion to prevent most of the clutch problems. Some dealers install large tires and I run 28 inch tires on my Pioneer 1000-3 and that's from new. It sucks to have to be careful with the low speed driving. I go on long remote solo 100 mile plus rides and I need good reliability so I don't have to walk out. I don't trust anything so I carry a small motorcycle in the back. The motorcycle saved me a from big walk on my Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger 900, and RZR 900.

Hi hondabob, do you carry a small motorcycle in the back of your Honda Pioneer's and is it a Honda motorcycle? This post intrigues me. Thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have driven many machines now and they definitely all felt different and I do think most whether machine or person related could've been either spared or life increased by a much lower reverse gear. I agree weight is a contributing factor either way. You think the clutches has been what's held up the Sport model? I figure when Honda releases the Pioneer with the update it'll help be a test bed for the Sport and it'll be a bit after that to come out. Even though most clutches have been good when you reinvent the wheel like Honda did in transmission and it doesn't go perfect it becomes a pr nightmare so I'm expecting much better results with the Talon.
Talon? What Iv'e been told Honda got into a lot of trouble over 3 wheelers. But have also been told, if it weren't for their S x S Honda would be in trouble, they screwed up big time when they quit making 2 stroke dirt bikes. KTM, Beta, Gas Gas, Husky and others stayed in the game. If I was going to buy a street cruiser, it wouldn't be a Honda, I would go for a Harley/Indian. So that said, Honda may come out with a sport S x S. Money will tell.

Reactions: Jshell3
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Talon? What Iv'e been told Honda got into a lot of trouble over 3 wheelers. But have also been told, if it weren't for their S x S Honda would be in trouble, they screwed up big time when they quit making 2 stroke dirt bikes. KTM, Beta, Gas Gas, Husky and others stayed in the game. If I was going to buy a street cruiser, it wouldn't be a Honda, I would go for a Harley/Indian. So that said, Honda may come out with a sport S x S. Money will tell.
Honda was in trouble over that. I think even some of the Yamaha trikes sued Honda. Sxs is a very small market for them though and US is even smaller. As far as dirt bikes Honda has developed a new 2 smoker but not sure if or when we'll see it. KTM is the only 2 smoke I see and in most races or scrambles around here the 250/450f Honda still has the edge especially on the family groups. Honda bikes still sell that's not so much an issue. Road bikes I'd personally not buy anything other then Yamaha or Honda but I like dependability.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda was in trouble over that. I think even some of the Yamaha trikes sued Honda. Sxs is a very small market for them though and US is even smaller. As far as dirt bikes Honda has developed a new 2 smoker but not sure if or when we'll see it. KTM is the only 2 smoke I see and in most races or scrambles around here the 250/450f Honda still has the edge especially on the family groups. Honda bikes still sell that's not so much an issue. Road bikes I'd personally not buy anything other then Yamaha or Honda but I like dependability.
You don't have to oil a chain on a Harley, they self lubricate form the crank case leakage, HA!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You don't have to oil a chain on a Harley, they self lubricate form the crank case leakage, HA!
I absolutely don't understand the appeal to an engine that's purposely unbalanced. But everyone has their own thing and I get that.

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement
J

Jshell3

Thanks for the shout out!

I called the dealership today (about a non clutch related question)... and the asst service mgr said they were soaking my (new) clutches, as we speak. To install tomorrow!

Other than this pull out incident, I babied mine, easing around.

But I've been on rides where it's just as you described. The guys I rode with in Mississippi P1k5 would pull people out and hammer down with the tow strap attached. Theirs would jerk and buck. And I figured mine was just as tough. It was newer, too.

I'll use Sport Mode more and only pull w my winch from here on!

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Id still buy another too. And did. Still love the machine I just b**** when I have to work on mine instead of play. At least with my Honda it's one problem, I've owned other brands and know.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
20150301 155728 resized
20150414 133821 resized

I had my 30's on my 500. The top speed goes up to 46 mph and the gearing is still OK. Honda geared the 500 super low and there is no clutch problem on the 500's. I usually run 27's on the 500. I can only use about 90 % steering with the 30's. The Kawasaki 110 is better for sand riding with the larger wheels and I do a lot of sand wash with the Pioneer 1000.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I hope Honda announces the sport models tomorrow. I expect they will use the 1000 engine and drive parts in the first models. They should have a 4 seat and 2 seat on the same wheelbase of around 105 inches similar to the Teryx with a centered engine like the Pioneer 1000. I bought the 2016 Yamaha YXZ so I wouldn't have to drive a belt drive sport model. Just too old to wait on anything and the Yamaha has been great. The water pump seal was replaced at about 6,000 miles and new tires at 9,800 miles. It super high geared so I drive one of my Hondas on the low speed rides. Honda is going after Polaris in a big way and should have a few sport models in the next 3 years. Polaris sold 51,000 Ranger 900's in 2015. My dealer sells more Pioneer 1000's then the Ranger 900 and 1000 now. We all win with this competition and Polaris will have better models in the future but belt drive is a problem eslecially in their sport models and I just hate belt drive.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 43010 View attachment 43011
I had my 30's on my 500. The top speed goes up to 46 mph and the gearing is still OK. Honda geared the 500 super low and there is no clutch problem on the 500's. I usually run 27's on the 500. I can only use about 90 % steering with the 30's. The Kawasaki 110 is better for sand riding with the larger wheels and I do a lot of sand wash with the Pioneer 1000.

Awesome - so what do you do when the 110 runs out of gas with 50 miles left to go

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I hope Honda announces the sport models tomorrow. I expect they will use the 1000 engine and drive parts in the first models. They should have a 4 seat and 2 seat on the same wheelbase of around 105 inches similar to the Teryx with a centered engine like the Pioneer 1000. I bought the 2016 Yamaha YXZ so I wouldn't have to drive a belt drive sport model. Just too old to wait on anything and the Yamaha has been great. The water pump seal was replaced at about 6,000 miles and new tires at 9,800 miles. It super high geared so I drive one of my Hondas on the low speed rides. Honda is going after Polaris in a big way and should have a few sport models in the next 3 years. Polaris sold 51,000 Ranger 900's in 2015. My dealer sells more Pioneer 1000's then the Ranger 900 and 1000 now. We all win with this competition and Polaris will have better models in the future but belt drive is a problem eslecially in their sport models and I just hate belt drive.
Are you asleep having a dream?

B

Bsxs51

Sep 17, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting on a hill does need some throttle to fully engage clutches quickly. Hard to say if this is what damaged the machine without being there but it's hard on it to pull away real slowly on a hill.
Not sure why the dealer is taking that long it's a pretty easy process but I'm sure they'll get it taken care of for you
Still at the dealer getting fixed! 2 months now! Everytime I call they tell me that they are waiting on more parts, that Honda wanted them to replace. It is getting really old!

Reactions: pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Still at the dealer getting fixed! 2 months now! Everytime I call they tell me that they are waiting on more parts, that Honda wanted them to replace. It is getting really old!
I can understand the frustration I hope they get you fixed soon that is a lot of time. Have they said what all they're doing

Reactions: pct
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would demand Honda extend the factory warranty two months or how ever long it takes to get it fixed!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!