Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
exactly!!!!! but without actually seeing the clutches apart i can only guess but im still leaning towards the springs if honda used the identical clutch set as in the africa twin then it was designed for something almost 1/3rd the weight i do know for a fact the more pressure faster on a clutch = less slipping longer lifer and stronger faster shifts and it doesnt matter the application its just the truth about a clutch
If I remember correctly. The African Twin has 3 clutch plates, the Pioneer has 4. This was thought to improve durability.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The coil springs in the clutch pack are to disengage the disk when oil pressure is released. The clutch basically works the same as one in an automatic transmission. With it being like a hydraulic cylinder pushing against the clutch pack, the force is a lot greater than what a spring can do in a regular clutch. If the piston is 4" OD with a 2" bore at 100 psi of oil pressure gives you almost 1,000# of pressure on the clutch. I believe a hopped up Harley clutch is 300#-400# on the pack.

R

RiverRider450es

Apr 1, 2017
Port mcNicoll, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is disgustingly long, I like some of the info.

What is the clutch lock up rpm? My John Deere buck is 1600rpm. Anything under that rpm is clutch burning, it probably hits a certain temp and cakes the oil.

HondaBob has a lot of time on his 1000 , nothing is bullet proof,

the family farm kabota rtv 900 weighs less than the pioneer but the stress of working it burned the hydraulic pump right out at 2200hrs.and it wouldn't even spin the tires in reverse from new, not even after the rebuild This thing only goes 40km/hr

I cannot stress enough about energy saving or friction modifiers in the oil, you CANNOT RUN ENERGY SAVING OIL, this pioneer is a new monster when it's all locked up, torque of a nicely setup efi system that oil is crucial to keeping clutches cool and locking up properly. Synthetic oils pose a problem with heat dissipation

Reactions: Plumber32
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is disgustingly long, I like some of the info.

What is the clutch lock up rpm? My John Deere buck is 1600rpm. Anything under that rpm is clutch burning, it probably hits a certain temp and cakes the oil.

HondaBob has a lot of time on his 1000 , nothing is bullet proof,

the family farm kabota rtv 900 weighs less than the pioneer but the stress of working it burned the hydraulic pump right out at 2200hrs.and it wouldn't even spin the tires in reverse from new, not even after the rebuild This thing only goes 40km/hr

I cannot stress enough about energy saving or friction modifiers in the oil, you CANNOT RUN ENERGY SAVING OIL, this pioneer is a new monster when it's all locked up, torque of a nicely setup efi system that oil is crucial to keeping clutches cool and locking up properly. Synthetic oils pose a problem with heat dissipation
Please cite your sources as to how synthetic oil poses a problem with heat dissipation.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been looking around but have yet to find out if any 2017 pioneers have had clutch issues. Does anyone know of any?

Reactions: Hondasxs
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I have been looking around but have yet to find out if any 2017 pioneers have had clutch issues. Does anyone know of any?
I would think Honda would of made some modifications as replacing clutches under warranty can cut into profits. I have been waiting on a 17 for this reason even though 16's can be gotten very cheap now.

advertisement
B

Bsxs51

Sep 17, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My p1000-5 burnt clutch 80hrs. Going up hill in low range. It started shuttering, then popped and stalled out. Been at dealer for a month getting fixed.

riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My p1000-5 burnt clutch 80hrs. Going up hill in low range. It started shuttering, then popped and stalled out. Been at dealer for a month getting fixed.

Was this a 17? What type of riding do you mostly do? How often were fluids changed? What rpm range or speed would you say you were traveling at?Were there any odd things that happened before the issue? Sorry for the questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one curious.

B

Bsxs51

Sep 17, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was this a 17? What type of riding do you mostly do? How often were fluids changed? What rpm range or speed would you say you were traveling at?Were there any odd things that happened before the issue? Sorry for the questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one curious.
It is a 16. Only had 80 hrs on it , so it had the 20 hr break in service done at dealer. I had stopped on the hill and was starting to go slow. Very low rpm barely moving. It just started to shutter then it made a loud pop, and stalled out. When I started it back up and tried to drive it revved really high and would barely move. I just trail ride bought so I could take the family with me. Only got to ride it a handful of times.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It is a 16. Only had 80 hrs on it , so it had the 20 hr break in service done at dealer. I had stopped on the hill and was starting to go slow. Very low rpm barely moving. It just started to shutter then it made a loud pop, and stalled out. When I started it back up and tried to drive it revved really high and would barely move. I just trail ride bought soN I could take the family with me. Only got to ride it a handful of times.
Starting on a hill does need some throttle to fully engage clutches quickly. Hard to say if this is what damaged the machine without being there but it's hard on it to pull away real slowly on a hill.
Not sure why the dealer is taking that long it's a pretty easy process but I'm sure they'll get it taken care of for you

Last edited:
Reactions: pct
B

Bsxs51

Sep 17, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting on a hill does need some throttle to fully engage clutches quickly. Hard to say if this is what damaged the machine without being there but it's hard on it to pull away real slowly on a hill.
Not sure why the dealer is taking that long it's a pretty easy process but I'm sure they'll get it taken care of for you
Well I hope it is not the case, because I would hate to think I have spent almost $20000 on something I have to worry about going to slow up hill. What if I had to tow something? Would the clutch not be able to handle it?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I hope it is not the case, because I would hate to think I have spent almost $20000 on something I have to worry about going to slow up hill. What if I had to tow something? Would the clutch not be able to handle it?

Not necessarily saying this is something you did but there is a possibility. Low range is pretty forgiving. You do normally want to get in the throttle a little. Just being honest on anything that I know so please don't take offense.
Think of a manual automobile, you don't want to feather the clutch out too long in between gears, as long as you let it out at a decent rate you'll tend to not have issues. Same concept here except that "clutch pedal " is automatic in the Pioneer. So the quicker you get on it then less slipping.
I think it was probably slipping just a bit prior to the hill and went out on the hill would be my guess. I personally say 1/2 of the issues are machine 1/2 driver. A few have been seen to have ongoing issues however it's a small percentage overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3 and Eltobgi
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have over 6,000 miles on mine and it would be a lot more but I put over 10,000 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. Its important to get it going right away and stay above 2,000 rpm or your slipping the clutch. These clutches should last over 60,000 miles if you stay above 3 mph in low and 6 mph in high. The 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch has very little or no failures and its the same clutch. Large tires and prolonged rock crawling at super low speeds will slip and overheat the clutch. The reverse gear is a bit high and a lot of backing up at low speed probably under about 4 mph may be hard on the clutch too. I use my Pioneer 700 for tough slow rock crawling where I'm inching along. The torque converter prevents any slipping damage although after a long time the oil may heat up. I have never had the temp go over 2 bars. I usually run 27's on my 700 but I had 30's on it on this run.
DSC 0055

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have over 6,000 miles on mine and it would be a lot more but I put over 10,000 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. Its important to get it going right away and stay above 2,000 rpm or your slipping the clutch. These clutches should last over 60,000 miles if you stay above 3 mph in low and 6 mph in high. The 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch has very little or no failures and its the same clutch. Large tires and prolonged rock crawling at super low speeds will slip and overheat the clutch. The reverse gear is a bit high and a lot of backing up at low speed probably under about 4 mph may be hard on the clutch too. I use my Pioneer 700 for tough slow rock crawling where I'm inching along. The torque converter prevents any slipping damage although after a long time the oil may heat up. I have never had the temp go over 2 bars. I usually run 27's on my 700 but I had 30's on it on this run. View attachment 42997
Not all will make it like that. They all aren't driver related issues but that is a great rule of thumb to give all better chances

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not all will make it like that. They all aren't driver related issues.
I think mine was both, I was never told about backing up a hill slowly by the dealer. And that's how I did it. Backing up a steep hill for fire wood.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I agree but most clutch failures are from super low speed slipping and large tires. The 5 seat model is heavier and usually loaded a lot more too. The 5 seat model probably has more clutch failure and they sell more too. I think Honda should have lower gearing to prevent most of the clutch failures. A torque converter would be great but the lower gearing would not cost very much. The Sport models will be interesting especially if they use the Pioneer 1000 engine package. If there is a hydraulic pressure problem the 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch should have a lot more failure.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!