Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I couldn't really hear that, but I did think that he might have had it in sport mode. Not sure.
I was holding my phone with one hand and driving with the other, wouldn't dream of high/sport w/one hand HA

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was holding my phone with one hand and driving with the other, wouldn't dream of high/sport w/one hand HA
Ok that's funny as hell and point taken

Reactions: AKRider
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks, you can hear the solid click of the clutch.
I agree, a soft clamp is what will burn it up. It needs to be hard and solid.
I was hold my phone as close as possible to the shroud under the front seat that maybe why it sounds like it over reving

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was hold my phone as close as possible to the shroud under the front seat that maybe why it sounds like it over reving
When you buy an auto they have to tell you about the Lemon law, does it only apply to autos. After 3 failures on the same issue they replace or refund.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
I cannot help but be nervous because the more this subject is discussed the more people are coming forward saying their clutches shutter doing this or that and frankly I will not pay $20,000 bucks for this until i know more about it. We would never settle for a pickup that shuttered while crawling along in the woods or in inching along in rush hour traffic.
I have a 1000-5 deluxe and Honda replaced a clutch under warranty . I have been around atv's my whole life and I truly believe there is a design problem. . My dealer admits the clutch is too small for the weight of the machine . I truly love the machine and will wait for someone to come up with a repair . It doesn't look like Honda has a fix yet

Reactions: Eltobgi
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 deluxe and Honda replaced a clutch under warranty . I have been around atv's my whole life and I truly believe there is a design problem. . My dealer admits the clutch is too small for the weight of the machine . I truly love the machine and will wait for someone to come up with a repair . It doesn't look like Honda has a fix yet
I think they do, did they chamfer the oil valves?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i wonder if stiffer springs will help

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yea, I came on as a real pissed off P1 owner and rightfully so, clutch failure within 100 hours. And after clutch replacements and oil valve chamfering, totally different machine now. (OIL VALVE CHAMFERING). This is important!!!!!!!!!!!! The Honda dealer I bought my machine from is a big dealer, may have a inside on repaires. I hope! I have a great machine now! Sorry for the pissed of start.

Reactions: jak9922
advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

If it's a design problem, then how come I can run 30 inch tires in drive through some of the nastiest terrain and not have any problems with over 1500 miles? I think it may be an assembly issue or a part failure on some specific parts, but not a design issue. The only design issue that I have seen would be the choice of gearing. They could've been a little bit lower.

Not to mention I ride with a group that has the same vehicle and big tires as well and we beat the snot of these rigs and don't have a problem. If I get in some thick peanut butter mud and have it in 4-lock, I can stab the throttle and the motor will die if the tires can't spin. So, the clutches are strong enough to hold the engine back!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it's a design problem, then how come I can run 30 inch tires in drive through some of the nastiest terrain and not have any problems with over 1500 miles? I think it may be an assembly issue or a part failure on some specific parts, but not a design issue. The only design issue that I have seen would be the choice of gearing. They could've been a little bit lower.

Not to mention I ride with a group that has the same vehicle and big tires as well and we beat the snot of these rigs and don't have a problem. If I get in some thick peanut butter mud and have it in 4-lock, I can stab the throttle and the motor will die if the tires can't spin. So, the clutches are strong enough to hold the engine back!
That's how mine was(is)? too. My engine would basically bog and couldn't spin tires and Eventually killed itself. Clutches were strong.

Then I brought it to the dealer and they said the clutches were burnt to crap. Made it sound like the rig had been bad for a while. Kind of weird.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's how mine was(is)? too. My engine would basically bog and couldn't spin tires and Eventually killed itself. Clutches were strong.

Then I brought it to the dealer and they said the clutches were burnt to crap. Made it sound like the rig had been bad for a while. Kind of weird.

Why was it at the dealer, was there a problem with the clutches? Did they go from being very strong to eventually failing?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Why was it at the dealer, was there a problem with the clutches? Did they go from being very strong to eventually failing?
In literally one mud hole. We were out playing, got in a skeg and it killed my machine. I fell in. Deep. I've posted pics of it. It was a nasty hole.

Anyways we pulled me out backwards, he has a grizzly, and I'll admit I was mashing pretty hard In reverse to get out, but the tires were moving.

Anyways the following 2 weeks it fell apart.

Dealer said the basket (I have no idea) was burnt or something. Just implied I burnt them to crap. I never checked my oil. I guess it's possible it was low from factory or something?

Are you familiar with how the oil gets to the clutches? Is there a pump or is it held by gravity?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my experience. Mine will rev the motor if tires get stuck and takes extra long to shift, that's what takes out the clutches at least on this one. Now my previous one would lock the motor up if you got stuck. 1600 on that it was still solid.
Did the dealer show you the clutches by any chance? What did you feel previous to going in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. I should have asked for them. It was terrible. High revs in shifting. Like 3k or more. Terrible.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No. I should have asked for them. It was terrible. High revs in shifting. Like 3k or more. Terrible.

Ok I remember you talking about the bog. That makes sense. I thought you were saying it was good when you brought it in lol.
It's shared oil with three pumps two are for the transmission. It's possible it came low there have been a couple cases and if it's low it could run low pressures but personally I think it would have to be pretty low

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok I remember you talking about the bog. That makes sense. I thought you were saying it was good when you brought it in lol.

No, sorry. The clutch was very strong until the bog. I didn't feel like I was hurting it. The week following i noticed it shifted bad.

It was in the shop a few weeks after. They had it for over a month. To change the clutch

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

That's definitely the bad signs. I remember reading that now.

Maybe there was an electrical issue with the water that caused a low-voltage problem with one of the hundreds of sensors on this thing?

I'm very sure that I'll burn the clutches up on mine one of these days. I know that a clutch is a wear item and I know that I push my vehicle pretty hard so it's bound to happen sooner or later. If I can go 2000 miles or more I won't be too concerned based on the abuse and how tall the gearing is. I'm sure that the second pioneer we have that will live a lot easier life will probably go 10,000 miles or a lot more before it ever needs clutches. At least that's what I expect.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's definitely the bad signs. I remember reading that now.

Maybe there was an electrical issue with the water that caused a low-voltage problem with one of the hundreds of sensors on this thing?

I'm very sure that I'll burn the clutches up on mine one of these days. I know that a clutch is a wear item and I know that I push my vehicle pretty hard so it's bound to happen sooner or later. If I can go 2000 miles or more I won't be too concerned based on the abuse and how tall the gearing is. I'm sure that the second pioneer we have that will live a lot easier life will probably go 10,000 miles or a lot more before it ever needs clutches. At least that's what I expect.
I'm not sure. Do you know how the oil gets to the clutches?

Hope your machine makes it to 10

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not even going to pretend I know how the DCT works.

I'm pretty sure on my red pioneer, it doesn't have a chance of making it to 10,000 miles on the original clutches.

It may have something to do with this.....

F67f1a9a7c3d36c471722fa8612cfa0e

085219fbfce5af58128f0cca3980ca4c

43f8578bafa5b9fb4af882920570738a

81aa4e4d4f3a33eea118ee460da5309a

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!