P500 Cold weather issues

P

Presser

Feb 2, 2019
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500
Just wanted to see what everyone knows I just got my 19 p500 it’s been very cold here and it seems that when stared cold and let warm up If it is not at full operating temp the throttle cuts out not a big deal but when you try to drive in auto mode it just sends a flat line across the dash and will not shift shut key off start over and sometimes it will work sometimes the same thing will happen but if you switch it to manual it’s fine you can run through the gears just wondering if that’s a safety feature or if I need to take it back to get it looked at I only have 7 miles on the machine

Reactions: Caper
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Few things you might consider are as follows: a) I would make sure the unit is on a battery tender/maintainer; b) assuming you are starting it in a cold environment, I would toss a tarp over it and add some kind of heat source safely, i.e., light bulb under the unit or similar to warm the block/components some before starting. I don't believe a light needs to be 24/7 but rather 4-5 hours ahead of starting will do wonders.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum / P500 ownership @Presser and the first 7 of many miles. Some up north guys may chime in, but here’s a similar thread. Only time I had the shift issue was when needed a clutch adjustment. You may already know this, but it does have a speed limiter at 14 mph if the seat belt is not clicked in.
P500 - Will my P500 start in very cold weather?

P

Presser

Feb 2, 2019
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500
I knew the speed limiter and the throttle plate when not warm working on a block heater for it just didn’t know if there was other people who noticed this I am still use to the old Forman where you could just start it and go probably not the best practice though but at 13000 miles it had a good run

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I knew the speed limiter and the throttle plate when not warm working on a block heater for it just didn’t know if there was other people who noticed this I am still use to the old Forman where you could just start it and go probably not the best practice though but at 13000 miles it had a good run
My P5 never did that, I used it several cold days last winter without any hiccups. At -16* I let it warm up for 20 mins and then took off, I would have the dealer look at it, you might have a bad relay or pcm.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Just wanted to see what everyone knows I just got my 19 p500 it’s been very cold here and it seems that when stared cold and let warm up If it is not at full operating temp the throttle cuts out not a big deal but when you try to drive in auto mode it just sends a flat line across the dash and will not shift shut key off start over and sometimes it will work sometimes the same thing will happen but if you switch it to manual it’s fine you can run through the gears just wondering if that’s a safety feature or if I need to take it back to get it looked at I only have 7 miles on the machine
I’d call and ask what they think.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yah. I've started my '17 P5 at -15C and it ran fine. With 7 miles on it you shouldn't have to deal with anything like you're having.
Al. Did you get that beautiful elk cut up and in the freezer. And you guys still have crappy weather.
Caper

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Al. Did you get that beautiful elk cut up and in the freezer. And you guys still have crappy weather.
Caper
Hah. We aren't supposed to have snow here!!! It's mostly gone and temps are above zero. The beast we immediatley taken to the butcher. He can hang, cut and wrap.
Al

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hah. We aren't supposed to have snow here!!! It's mostly gone and temps are above zero. The beast we immediatley taken to the butcher. He can hang, cut and wrap.
Al
Yum. That makes it easier. I have a buddy in Victoria. Haha. He hating it. But he’s from here so he’s used to it. He has a two four wheel drives. One is just for playing, so he’s good in the snow. But he said traffic was a nightmare. Haha. So much for the blossoms.
Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!