Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Have a Beretta M9A3 for my main carry, it’s a 9mm, .40 and .357s so it’s got plenty options of power for woods or city usage and have been my go to.
I usually carry in pocket and even being a full size it’s fairly concealable but at work and certain other times it’s too noticeable. So been looking at other guns. Top choice was the Beretta Nano but I like hammer guns and prefer a safety as it will be carried in pocket like my main.
0942D571 54B7 4B0A 9B06 A76CFCDC0461
After lots of looking around I have heart set on Kimber micro 9. Beautiful pistol, the right size and has features I’m looking for. My worry is the tight tolerances. I’ve liked Kimber but I’ve heard stories of easily being gunked up without constant cleanings. Does anyone know if the Kimber will be fine for simply street carry with minimal maintenance?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Kimbers seem to be like Afghan Hounds: You either LOVE them or you HATE them ... there is no in between.

I have not personally owned any Kimber products, but as an FFL, I can tell you that most of my customers report the same feedback regarding many Kimber products: tight tolerances + lack of regular maintenance (sometimes even despite regular maintenance) = lack of reliability/consistency.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can’t offer any insight on the Kimber whatsoever, but I can tell you what I carry. I absolutely love my Glock Model 45 with light and RMR. I carry it on duty, off duty, and mostly all the time. My holster style isn’t always popular but once you get used to appendix carry it’s quite functional. I’m 6’5” 270 so it’s fairly easy to hide.
Again, wasn’t what you asked for but figured I’d share my setup just as another thought. FWIW Kimber is a fine brand.
F18D4AD9 4A7A 4B2A 955C FFBAC7B0C61C

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Kimbers seem to be like Afghan Hounds: You either LOVE them or you HATE them ... there is no in between.

I have not personally owned any Kimber products, but as an FFL, I can tell you that most of my customers report the same feedback regarding many Kimber products: tight tolerances + lack of regular maintenance (sometimes even despite regular maintenance) = lack of reliability/consistency.
That’s what’s kept me away so far. I just wondered how bad it actually was and if maybe they loosened up tolerances for the conceal pistol. Don’t appreciate a gun that rattles but it’s gotta work, and not to many choices for a pocket hammer fire

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can’t offer any insight on the Kimber whatsoever, but I can tell you what I carry. I absolutely love my Glock Model 45 with light and RMR. I carry it on duty, off duty, and mostly all the time. My holster style isn’t always popular but once you get used to appendix carry it’s quite functional. I’m 6’5” 270 so it’s fairly easy to hide.
Again, wasn’t what you asked for but figured I’d share my setup just as another thought. FWIW Kimber is a fine brand. View attachment 353024
Most I know carry Glock or Springfield. And they work. But am looking for a bit smaller with safety and hammer
Btw that’s a bad ass looking setup!

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That’s what’s kept me away so far. I just wondered how bad it actually was and if maybe they loosened up tolerances for the conceal pistol. Don’t appreciate a gun that rattles but it’s gotta work, and not to many choices for a pocket hammer fire
I don't know many who go with a Kimber for EDC.

The #1 priority for an EDC is that it's gotta go bang each and every time you pull the trigger. If you can't trust your life with it, then it doesn't matter how pretty it looks or how it feels. It needs to be light and relatively compact, too. Round capacity is important, too - no sense in carrying 6 or 7 rounds when you can carry a very similar sized handgun with twice the capacity. Another thing to consider is: If you're forced to use it to defend yourself, you'll have to turn it over to the police, so you probably don't want too much cash invested in a carry gun. LE won't treat your property like you do.

Unfortunately, the above rules out quite a few options. Rock solid reliability typically means you either go with a revolver or you stick with one of the ugly polymer handguns (there are exceptions, of course). Your body size and shape will affect not only the handguns you can carry comfortably but how you carry them (IWB, OWB, AIWB, etc.).

Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a few Kimbers and have no problems with them at all. I do clean them after every range session. Which could be about 200 rounds. My Kimber Eclipse will shoot every bit as good as my Les Baers or Ed Brown. I would suggest a Sig 938. I find it to be my EDC more often than anything else. I am used to the 1911 grip style and platform though.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a Beretta M9A3 for my main carry, it’s a 9mm, .40 and .357s so it’s got plenty options of power for woods or city usage and have been my go to.
I usually carry in pocket and even being a full size it’s fairly concealable but at work and certain other times it’s too noticeable. So been looking at other guns. Top choice was the Beretta Nano but I like hammer guns and prefer a safety as it will be carried in pocket like my main.
View attachment 353019
After lots of looking around I have heart set on Kimber micro 9. Beautiful pistol, the right size and has features I’m looking for. My worry is the tight tolerances. I’ve liked Kimber but I’ve heard stories of easily being gunked up without constant cleanings. Does anyone know if the Kimber will be fine for simply street carry with minimal maintenance?
My wife has this gun but chambered in .380. I love the size of it and it is very accurate. Way more accurate than my Ruger LCP .380. Her Kimber doesn't like ammo with flat points though. Have to get rounded or more pointed ammo. CCI makes a good target round that works well with it. I can't remember right now what hollow points she keeps in it. I think you'll be fine with minimal maintenence long as you get the right ammo.

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If there is any way you can try some target practice with a micro, see if you can aim it. I have no problem with a 1911 and compact 9, but my hand is too big, I cannot hit what I aim beyond 15 feet with a micro, I feel unsafe, it’s so bad. Maybe just need more practice.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a few Kimbers and have no problems with them at all. I do clean them after every range session. Which could be about 200 rounds. My Kimber Eclipse will shoot every bit as good as my Les Baers or Ed Brown. I would suggest a Sig 938. I find it to be my EDC more often than anything else. I am used to the 1911 grip style and platform though.
Ya that’s one of the others I’m looking at. Now let me ask you this on your Kimber, would you trust it to empty a clip at any point without fail? Not worried about a range gun at all.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If there is any way you can try some target practice with a micro, see if you can aim it. I have no problem with a 1911 and compact 9, but my hand is too big, I cannot hit what I aim beyond 15 feet with a micro, I feel unsafe, it’s so bad. Maybe just need more practice.
It’ll definitely be a little adjustment for me as well compared to what I currently shoot. But no the local range doesn’t have anything I’m looking at to shoot

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Back when I was still with the PD, we had to qualify twice a year. I carried a G22 as my primary and a G27 as my BUG. Oddly enough, I was often more accurate with the G27 than the G22.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!