Conceal Carry Kimber micro 9

G

Gohonda2

Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you are dead set on the kimber buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo and break it in good before you rely on it for edc. I have used a Sig p938 with no issues. Very similar to the kimber and has a safety. Presently I use a 365xl but like a Glock it has no safety. I will not pocket carry with or without a safety, unless I have a pocket holster. Just my $0.02.

Edit: I personally wouldn’t trust my life to any handgun that didn’t run good right out of the box with no break in or polishing to make it reliable.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It’ll definitely be a little adjustment for me as well compared to what I currently shoot. But no the local range doesn’t have anything I’m looking at to shoot
I've belonged to a very active and popular grass-roots Michigan-centric 2A discussion forum since 2003. If a guy wanted to shoot an X or a Y, it wouldn't take but a few posts to find someone willing to meet up and let someone shoot theirs. They love any excuse to go shooting.

You might look for a forum like that in your state.

Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
Ya that’s one of the others I’m looking at. Now let me ask you this on your Kimber, would you trust it to empty a clip at any point without fail? Not worried about a range gun at all.
I would trust my Eclipse to empty the full mag. It has never had a hiccup. However, it is a full size 1911 and feeds everything I've put through it. I do have a micro 380 Kimber raptor that has been flawless as well, but it hasn't had but only 300 rounds through it. I sometimes throw it in my front pocket. I think Kimber QC is worse than it was years ago. Haven't bought a new Kimber in years. I do really like the Sig938 though. The equinox with rear night sight and fiber front.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I'm not too familiar with the Kimber pistols. I've shot quite a few but, I haven't owned any of them. I really like Nighthawk Customs and STI for 1911 variants.

My daily carry is a Glock 43 (but, I may go with a Glock 48 in the near future). I sometimes carry a Sig P320 or, a Glock 19.

Mike

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I can’t offer any insight on the Kimber whatsoever, but I can tell you what I carry. I absolutely love my Glock Model 45 with light and RMR. I carry it on duty, off duty, and mostly all the time. My holster style isn’t always popular but once you get used to appendix carry it’s quite functional. I’m 6’5” 270 so it’s fairly easy to hide.
Again, wasn’t what you asked for but figured I’d share my setup just as another thought. FWIW Kimber is a fine brand. View attachment 353024
How do you like the red dot?

I have a crimson trace back in the box…no matter how much I practice, just couldn’t shoot well with it (frankly at all).

Maybe it was because I was using an adapter (too much variation) or my mechanics ( left eye dominate, right handed)?

I can see how they might work well…in concept, maybe I’m just too old school…

advertisement
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wouldn’t call it a pocket pistol but I had a nice little beretta px4 sub compact that I used for a carry gun for places I really didn’t want it seen. Hammer , safety double action. 13+1. Mine was a 9 but think they made them in 40.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How do you like the red dot?

I have a crimson trace back in the box…no matter how much I practice, just couldn’t shoot well with it (frankly at all).

Maybe it was because I was using an adapter (too much variation) or my mechanics ( left eye dominate, right handed)?

I can see how they might work well…in concept, maybe I’m just too old school…
I was too…until I got it. The RMR is a game changer for me. I now shoot with both eyes open. Once you get used to acquiring the dot it becomes second nature. I can shoot a orange sticky dot on the target at 10 yards and make it disappear. At 25 yards I can make repeated head shots (or center mass) with a fairly tight group. Speed it up and I’m still in the proper ring, just not quite as tight. I absolutely love it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn’t call it a pocket pistol but I had a nice little beretta px4 sub compact that I used for a carry gun for places I really didn’t want it seen. Hammer , safety double action. 13+1. Mine was a 9 but think they made them in 40.
I did have the sub in 40 years ago. Was a prep big gun really. Kicked like a mule

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a Beretta M9A3 for my main carry, it’s a 9mm, .40 and .357s so it’s got plenty options of power for woods or city usage and have been my go to.
I usually carry in pocket and even being a full size it’s fairly concealable but at work and certain other times it’s too noticeable. So been looking at other guns. Top choice was the Beretta Nano but I like hammer guns and prefer a safety as it will be carried in pocket like my main.
View attachment 353019
After lots of looking around I have heart set on Kimber micro 9. Beautiful pistol, the right size and has features I’m looking for. My worry is the tight tolerances. I’ve liked Kimber but I’ve heard stories of easily being gunked up without constant cleanings. Does anyone know if the Kimber will be fine for simply street carry with minimal maintenance?
I have the Kimber Micro 9 with Crimson Trace grips and have not had any issues with malfunction. I have found that when a Kimber is new, if you will run some "carry" ammo through initially, you will not have any issues. I routinely run light reloads through mine and have never had a problem cycling. I alternate between the Micro 9 and the Hellcat depending on circumstances. I like the Crimson Trace grips especially at night. Don't have to extend your arm to see where the bullet is going.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have the Kimber Micro 9 with Crimson Trace grips and have not had any issues with malfunction. I have found that when a Kimber is new, if you will run some "carry" ammo through initially, you will not have any issues. I routinely run light reloads through mine and have never had a problem cycling. I alternate between the Micro 9 and the Hellcat depending on circumstances. I like the Crimson Trace grips especially at night. Don't have to extend your arm to see where the bullet is going.
How do you like the pistol?

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you like the pistol?
I have the Micro 9 Desert Night and I really like it. I traded a Sig 938 when I bought it. The Sig is the only pistol I've ever traded off. The trigger guard hurt my finger when shooting very many rounds through it. I really like the sights on the Micro 9 and if you ever think you might want Crimson Trace grips it is much less expensive to buy the pistol with the sights already on it. I also have a Springfield XDS .45. Both the XDS and Micro 9 carry fewer rounds than the Hellcat but they all have their place.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!