Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup! Follow his lead.
With @Remington being in the HVAC world, it is pretty easy to put some faith in his install.
If you pick up coolant right after the thermostat, this will be the hottest coolant you can get in the whole loop.
And a great place to bleed the coolant is a little bleeder screw at the thermostat under the seat. You can thank @OleRed for that trick;)

Reactions: JLR
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just thought since the motor is only so big it may not be able to produce enough hot water volume to get a big box as hot as a small box.

Reactions: Remington
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And a great place to bleed the coolant is a little bleeder screw at the thermostat under the seat. You can thank @OleRed for that trick;)

not sure i get credit for much— i just asked the same question and someone pointed me there a few months ago.... I mean, Yep! It was all me!!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
i just thought since the motor is only so big it may not be able to produce enough hot water volume to get a big box as hot as a small box.
That is true, but what he/we have inst that enough to exceed to make that happen so he should be fine.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup! Follow his lead.
With @Remington being in the HVAC world, it is pretty easy to put some faith in his install.
If you pick up coolant right after the thermostat, this will be the hottest coolant you can get in the whole loop.

I actually have the UPI heater and used many of the components and followed the instructions with the unit. The heater is still in the box because I went with the summit heater instead. It had a higher BTU rating and had a three speed fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually have the UPI heater and used many of the components and followed the instructions with the unit. The heater is still in the box because I went with the summit heater instead. It had a higher BTU rating and had a three speed fan.

Thanks for all the input. I will take a couple pictures later this afternoon. We are in a winter storm warning right now. Expecting 3 to 6 inches of snow, 30 below zero temps, with 20 to 30 mile an hour winds. The Pioneer’s probably going to get a work out today.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
not sure i get credit for much— i just asked the same question and someone pointed me there a few months ago.... I mean, Yep! It was all me!!!

Is there a hose right off of the thermostat? I believe I tapped in right after the elbow coming off water pump. I remember the bleeder screw/thermostat being quite difficult to find and get to. I think I had to take some of the plastic off between the front seat and the box. I think finding it was my first difficulty though.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
9a53942a905db348ed33d96dda563844A6c8bf947b1b185a14aa3a9f8c60dc3f

The cardboard helped a lot as you could see. I was getting temperatures consistently in the 60s. I wasn’t able to take a picture of my hose splices because most are covered up by the vent hoses. I think that is part of the problem. My hose from the engine to the heater block is too long. I drilled holes down at the bottom between the engine compartment and under the drivers seat compartment. The hose is sitting down on the frame. I’m going to shorten it up and try to rig up a shorter and higher route. I also was finding that I’m getting a lot of snow under my hood my batteries and fuses. Going to have to figure out a way to seal that up. Thanks to all!

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering how the cardboard worked? I have 2 bars of heat, and also live in Minnesota. How many bars of heat does the 1000-5 get in the summers?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wondering how the cardboard worked? I have 2 bars of heat, and also live in Minnesota. How many bars of heat does the 1000-5 get in the summers?
Here in south Louisiana, we reach 100 degree temps with 115 degree heat indexes and mine never goes above two bars.

advertisement
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Cardboard helped a lot. Next fall I am going to look into Maybe putting in a warmer thermostat. Feel like I spent way too much time upping the hours this winter by warming it up.

Reactions: DAV11
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cardboard helped a lot. Next fall I am going to look into Maybe putting in a warmer thermostat. Feel like I spent way too much time upping the hours this winter by warming it up.

I’ve never seen it above two bars. I’m assuming two bars is where it’s supposed to be. I might be imagining things, but I’ve really noticed it gets a lot worse gas mileage in the winter time.

Reactions: DAV11
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve never seen it above two bars. I’m assuming two bars is where it’s supposed to be. I might be imagining things, but I’ve really noticed it gets a lot worse gas mileage in the winter time.

You keep in a shop/garage? The inside my my shop has never gotten below freezing w/no heat, ours takes 4 to 5 minutes to warm up, then good to go and run two bars year around.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You keep in a shop/garage? The inside my my shop has never gotten below freezing w/no heat, ours takes 4 to 5 minutes to warm up, then good to go and run two bars year around.

I keep it in my insulated garage with the heat on, my uninsulated garage with no heat, and my insulated shed. Obviously the warmer the building the less time it takes to warm up. It’s been a brutal winter here. I’ve been pushing snow when it’s 30 below zero with 20 mile an hour winds. Today after we got another foot of snow it was 25° out and I got the two bars Quite quickly and the heater actually got the cab up to 85°. I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention and all of a sudden I was sweating. Checked out the thermometer and was a bit surprised. The machine has performed very well all winter, like my dad said...Nothing is made to perform at its best when it’s 20 below.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I keep it in my insulated garage with the heat on, my uninsulated garage with no heat, and my insulated shed. Obviously the warmer the building the less time it takes to warm up. It’s been a brutal winter here. I’ve been pushing snow when it’s 30 below zero with 20 mile an hour winds. Today after we got another foot of snow it was 25° out and I got the two bars Quite quickly and the heater actually got the cab up to 85°. I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention and all of a sudden I was sweating. Checked out the thermometer and was a bit surprised. The machine has performed very well all winter, like my dad said...Nothing is made to perform at its best when it’s 20 below.

-20 is brutal! One thing I know about you Northern folks, ya'll can sure lay down some new hi ways once it gets warm in a hurry!

Reactions: Mudwing
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha ha ha. There’s an old saying in Minnesota that we have two seasons: winter and road construction season.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!