P1000m5 Coolant is too cold!

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This post is very tongue-in-cheek, but I was plowing snow up here in Minnesota yesterday when it was -25°. My 1000-5 worked perfectly, but my motor doesn’t seem to want to warm up enough to heat the coolant for my heater. Ran the thing hard for over an hour pushing snow and the temp gauge never went above the first bar.See the temp gauges. Also cheap Chinese Digital thermometers don’t go below zero. They just flash 3L’s at you constantly for too low. It’s a nice constant reminder that you’re a freaking idiot for a living where it gets this cold. I did stuff some insulation up under the dash and that got me closer to 50°. Is there actually any way to get my engine to safely run a little hotter? I do understand it’s all aluminum and semi exposed.

performs admirably B1a4668378d317109ecb85eeaa9119d5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Just like the old timers...piece of cardboard or something flat that can block the radiator.

I need to do something similar to my rig as well.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Agreed, blocking the radiator will help.

Reactions: sharp
H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed block the radiator. The new half ton pickups now have slats in front of the radiator for quick warmup and for improved aerodynamics at highway speeds. Maybe a higher temp. thermostat is available.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you tap your heater plumbing into the engine?

I tapped in as close to the engine as I could. I actually initially tapped too close to the elbow and couldn’t get my splice piece in. In the fall the heater would get up to above 80°. At this point it’s comfortable in there and I have quite a few variables that I just have to deal with. First off I have a soft cab so there are some limitations there. Are used automotive weatherstripping to seal around the doors, filled the doors with spray foam insulation, put on a glass windshield, used gorilla all weather tape to seal up the gaps between the cab, windshield, and other structure. I also stuffed some fiberglass insulation up under the dash but I’m planning on replacing it with some ceramic heat shield insulation just because I don’t want to feel like a redneck. I have three events below the seat that are putting out pretty good heat. The one that comes directly from the heater is obviously giving out the most heat. The two for the defrost that you see in the picture are traveling along way through the tunnel and up to the dash. I’m sure I’m losing a ton of heat there and I should look into somehow insulating that tubing or the tunnel. I’ve got a summit 28000 btu heater. I’m going to try the cardboard idea. My dad used to do it with his 1960s Ford truck and I forgot about it. I might try to find something a little more stylish.

J

JTW

I tapped in as close to the engine as I could. I actually initially tapped too close to the elbow and couldn’t get my splice piece in. In the fall the heater would get up to above 80°. At this point it’s comfortable in there and I have quite a few variables that I just have to deal with. First off I have a soft cab so there are some limitations there. Are used automotive weatherstripping to seal around the doors, filled the doors with spray foam insulation, put on a glass windshield, used gorilla all weather tape to seal up the gaps between the cab, windshield, and other structure. I also stuffed some fiberglass insulation up under the dash but I’m planning on replacing it with some ceramic heat shield insulation just because I don’t want to feel like a redneck. I have three events below the seat that are putting out pretty good heat. The one that comes directly from the heater is obviously giving out the most heat. The two for the defrost that you see in the picture are traveling along way through the tunnel and up to the dash. I’m sure I’m losing a ton of heat there and I should look into somehow insulating that tubing or the tunnel. I’ve got a summit 28000 btu heater. I’m going to try the cardboard idea. My dad used to do it with his 1960s Ford truck and I forgot about it. I might try to find something a little more stylish.

I believe he’s getting at.. what side of the radiator did you splice?

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe @Remington or @OleRed can chime in with their setup.
I believe @OleRed had his putting out weak heat until he reworked it. I would want my heater core getting fed hot coolant from engine right past the thermostat. That will feed 190F coolant into the core, then feed from core into rad.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Both @OleRed and I spliced at the elbow just out of the water pump and then again at the oil cooler at the back of the engine keeping the the main stock loop intact just with an isolation ball valve there to go to through the heater when needed. I can’t tell with the pic of your set up what you have there. If you don’t have a bypass valve and you just bypassed all together,make sure it’s not too long. If your hoses are too long when it gets cold as balls outside you might not be able to get any hot coolant through the whole system. You may be loosing thermal energy through your loop making the coolant cool. That said, a piece of cardboard would help if you don’t have a bypass. and make sure you have the right coolant mixture and air completely out of the system. Take pics of your whole hose bypass system so we can see exactly what you have. It was 10 here today and my heater got almost very hot.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can’t tell from the pics but are you sure you have the flow right? Hot side going to the heater and not the cool side?
Good point

Reactions: sharp and JTW
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will just have to try stuff until it works. report back on the cardboard trick. I’m putting my money there for this one. I think that might be enough.

The note about coolant flow direction is a good one— Irouted my coolant flow the wrong direction originally and had to cut it all out and start over. I put my heater under the hood simply running the line out of oil cooler through tunnel and up to the bottom fitting on heater core. Top line went back down through tunnel and to water pump. I ran my ducts to the cup holders. Passenger side is shorter then driver side and it noticeably
warmer air coming out. I can hold th cab at a descent temp when running across the lake. When I have a reason to dig back in I will be routing both ducts straight out warning plate for some nice 4” runs and getting my cup holders back.

Quick question— what is the difference between your heater box and one rated for less btu? I am wondering if you would get more heat out of a heater rated for less.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Quick question— what is the difference between your heater box and one rated for less btu? I am wondering if you would get more heat out of a heater rated for less.
Not to answer that for him, my .2 no you would not unless his runs are very short in terms of inches from the box but still wouldn’t be better with less BTUs. Just like in a furnace, if I put less btus in your house it would run constantly with warm air but can’t produce enough heat to reach a desired temp. If that’s what your asking?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It sounds like you tapped into the coolant leaving an open loop.
You should only have to cut one line on the engine.
Cut that line, build a bypass with valves, then force all the coolant thru your heater. In summer you orient the valves to bypass your heater.
Sounds like you just tee'd your heater into 2 lines. It will never bleed all the air out, or get very warm if you cannot force hot coolant thru the heater.
Build a system like this.
Screenshot 20190127 100729

Your heater core will be on the left in the image.
Normal use will be when you want heat.
Bypassed will be when you don't want heat.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It sounds like you tapped into the coolant leaving an open loop.
You should only have to cut one line on the engine.
Cut that line, build a bypass with valves, then force all the coolant thru your heater. In summer you orient the valves to bypass your heater.
Sounds like you just tee'd your heater into 2 lines. It will never bleed all the air out, or get very warm if you cannot force hot coolant thru the heater.
Build a system like this.
View attachment 104580
Your heater core will be on the left in the image.
Normal use will be when you want heat.
Bypassed will be when you don't want heat.
Exactly what I have in my set up @Skjerv40 check this out start at post #84 for pics. This may help you
P1000 - Universal heater

Reactions: Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly what I have in my set up @Skjerv40 check this out start at post #84 for pics. This may help you
P1000 - Universal heater
Yup! Follow his lead.
With @Remington being in the HVAC world, it is pretty easy to put some faith in his install.
If you pick up coolant right after the thermostat, this will be the hottest coolant you can get in the whole loop.

Reactions: JTW and Remington
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!