Cummins Built Not Bought/The Life of Frankie.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I said ur not running an electric fan,.....pay attention....u need inches between ur mechanical fan and ur radiator
I hear you. Now listen. Core support maxed forward against condenser and intercooler and grill. Radiator is as far forward as possible. Engine cannot move backwards. Obviously clutch fan is attached to the engine, it cannot be clearanced. Can’t gain room with electric as I won’t run them. The space of 3/4” is what there is. Many new diesels are stock around 1” so it’s tight but probably not like omg.
now what you aren’t hearing and posting like 35 times is that if it hits I’ll be forced to get a 3 core radiator instead. It’ll just be a possible setback but that’s it. Ok? That’s all. I’m going to run it and if it hits I’ll replace it, that’s my option. I’d like this radiator so I’m going to run the risk. You’re bringing it up like it’d destroy the engine or something stupid. “If” it chewed the fan (doubt it) I have another I’d hate it but it’s a radiator no biggie. A 5 min swap from my 2x4 if I had to while I wait for new one. Moving on, the build continues.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you run into clearance issues with your fan and radiator..here’s a simple trick. Fire up the truck and position yourself on the bumper where you can clearly see the space between the fan and radiator.. run your hand down between the fan and radiator and very quickly push on the fan blades firmly towards the fire wall until you have the desired clearance. Warning.. you have to be quick or the fan might bit you a little bit.
Bhahahaha

G

GuyOnABuffalo

I hear you. Now listen. Core support maxed forward against condenser and intercooler and grill. Radiator is as far forward as possible. Engine cannot move backwards. Obviously clutch fan is attached to the engine, it cannot be clearanced. Can’t gain room with electric as I won’t run them. The space of 3/4” is what there is. Many new diesels are stock around 1” so it’s tight but probably not like omg.
now what you aren’t hearing and posting like 35 times is that if it hits I’ll be forced to get a 3 core radiator instead. It’ll just be a possible setback but that’s it. Ok? That’s all. I’m going to run it and if it hits I’ll replace it, that’s my option. I’d like this radiator so I’m going to run the risk. You’re bringing it up like it’d destroy the engine or something stupid. “If” it chewed the fan (doubt it) I have another I’d hate it but it’s a radiator no biggie. A 5 min swap from my 2x4 if I had to while I wait for new one. Moving on, the build continues.
Just a thought... could you add a contact ring to the back of the radiator that the fan would hit instead? Just a 1/4” thick by 1” wide uhmw or aluminum wear ring..

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some people will destroy a thread. We have been watching @CumminsPusher for years now on different projects. He is professional grade and researches everything before he builds something. I am sure he knows what he can and can’t do, let’s sit back and watch him work his magic. By the way your project is coming along nicely.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Some people will destroy a thread. We have been watching @CumminsPusher for years now on different projects. He is professional grade and researches everything before he builds something. I am sure he knows what he can and can’t do, let’s sit back and watch him work his magic. By the way your project is coming along nicely.
Exactly.. these damn thread high jackers should be executed for their crimes along with all the Trumpeters!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just a thought... could you add a contact ring to the back of the radiator that the fan would hit instead? Just a 1/4” thick by 1” wide uhmw or aluminum wear ring..
I did put a 3/8 piece plywood and through radiator zip strips made for fan shroud mounting across on Tuesday night. Wanted a full sheet but that wouldn’t have worked out. It did not hit with a engine start up, of course that isn’t under any load. Scary as f*** and I thought better against high revs. The thought of that coming apart was worse then radiator lol.
Really do think it’s ok. Engine rocks sideways but very little forward/back, all I can think of is maybe fan flex.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

I did put a 3/8 piece plywood and through radiator zip strips made for fan shroud mounting across on Tuesday night. Wanted a full sheet but that wouldn’t have worked out. It did not hit with a engine start up, of course that isn’t under any load. Scary as f*** and I thought better against high revs. The thought of that coming apart was worse then radiator lol.
Really do think it’s ok. Engine rocks sideways but very little forward/back, all I can think of is maybe fan flex.
Well, if I know you.. you’ll manage to f*** it up somehow!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Exactly.. these damn thread high jackers should be executed for their crimes along with all the Trumpeters!
f***er, Don’t try to cause a political debate over here. You’re other thread is funny but...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Couple things showed up today.
Decided on newer gen Dodge style cab lights. Went clear lens (amber led) as they will be least obvious IMO. Wasn’t going to run upper markers but decided since it is a factory dually it should have them.
3/4 round flush mount markers are going in each side of dually fenders.. I did however want the red and amber markers obvious so they blended in with front and rear turn signal housings. Opted for the 3 wire led lights so I can wire in an additional turn signals so it’s better seen. three red will also mount in box under tailgate. I will like the looks better then the bulky factory stuff but should still look correct to the truck
These make all new light housings throughout the truck.
367D8B13 B3C8 4927 A08A 8983581E796F

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Interior plans underway. Dash lights arrived. Going blue led replacement bulbs for gauges, these are all from Super Bright Led not the Amazon cheapies. Also a couple light strips for effect. All are dimmable, so factory dimmer will work Don’t want to tear back into the dash anytime soon. ALL bulbs replaced, green leds for turn sigs, red for dummy lights, blue high beam, etc. courtesy lights, map light, ash tray, key, done and glove box all white.
Should go with the new white face gauges. Nice thing about building is you have it the way you want and the interior will be no different. Getting excited to be in the cab rather then under the hood. UPS will be busy yet again!
F5935CD2 CE35 4548 8A72 FEC6D135452B

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Today was all about the instrument cluster. Picked up a gasser cluster from my wrecking yard friend that was in great shape and swapped all of the diesel stuff over to that housing, after making sure all gauges worked. They did, surprisingly from the shape the wires and condition of that truck.
Re-soldered all connections, and then added aluminum tape to the back side of the cluster to give better and more even light distribution to the gauges, big deal I learned from another first gen I had.
Resprayed the black inner, and buffed out the clear face plate.
Painted all the needles red rather then the faded orange (I think looks better and will match all the new aftermarket gauges going in shortly) added the white faces and installed all blue leds to the gauges.The idiot lights, turn digs, high beam all got correct color leds.
Reinstalled the old pos dash as well in case parts are ever needed.Can see just how broken up the old cluster was. Ain’t having that crap in my truck. Took awhile but it’s worth it to me.
9DD1E661 A174 46CD A7AE 8341851EF8F3
5D1D3A58 62C7 4F19 8944 96106BDD1B15
4D81B575 403F 45BF 96D3 E1346D50246E

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man that sure is some people intricate detail work. Glad you have the patience for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I don’t! Use to though and I still take on that crap thinking it’ll be fast but never goes that way.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking you should rewind the ODO to 0. Provided it is already registered and you won't have any issues there. The ODO reading is really irrelevant at this point but would be cool to start at 0 on your "new" truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!