Cummins Built Not Bought/The Life of Frankie.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just read through about 20 pages, very nice work. Its amazing how much time the details take, last summer I did a "quick" cab and frame swap on my 98 2500 Cummins. Had 290k on the clock and ran great, but had parts on the shelf I have been accumulating for compounds. So motor went through a full rebuild, along with about $2500 in go fast stuff i didn't plan on....

I wish I took/had more time to go through everything, as you have. Ended up getting the motor done, but that ate up a lot of time and $$$ I originally planned on the driveline and body. So now I'm daily driving mine and fixing and/or upgrading as I have time, in between regular maintenance and fixing broken chit. That is going to be one hell of a rig, keep up the good work.

PS I wouldn't loose any sleep over the fan clearance, that radiator won't move much at all, and the fan blades don't flex much.
Thank you buddy. Ya I remember you saying you were going to do something, I didn’t know you’d got it done. That’s great it’ll keep you a truck again for long time. Kinda surprised you rebuilt but guess it was out. What kinda goodies did you add?
Trying to get all I can done before she hits the road, I’m absolute crap at maintenance and know once it goes into the woods nothing else will really get finished, hopefully one and done but it has been a lot of sacrifice.
Ya never really lost sleep over the radiator thing, that got turned into something it just wasn’t.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Couple new things. Picked up brand new (not reman) HD alternator, original is good but changed out anyways. And picked up a one-wire voltage regulator conversion. It totally separates the charging system from the truck, less possible chance of problems. Early Dodge had a couple small electrical issues, including that. It’s all being addressed as I go.
08487D2E 88AA 4191 B815 17C4EA663AF2
0D907AAE 46D3 4CDB B7A3 3E0CB6AB8921

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
My original plan was to just clean the motor up and replace the head bolts with studs, one at a time. But once it was out I decided to get the head decked, o-ringed, ported, 60 lb springs with tophat seals, a valve job done....And since the piston tops were just looking at me, I figured I might as well tear the block down and rebuild. Block got professionally cleaned, honed, and decked .010". Went back together with all new bearings, arp rod bolts, new rings, 174/203 cam and lifters, H-11 head studs, 5x12 injectors, some goodies in a 215hp p-pump, fluid dampr balancer, all being fed with an HE351 over HT60 turbos.

Blew apart the stock intercooler within 100 miles. Now its making over 60lbs of boost with a new intercooler, as long as there is traction. I have no idea how much power it is making, but even with stock timing and stock lift pump it was breaking traction at 70mph on skinny tires if you romped it.

This is how it sits now, need to do a little body work then paint, and swap the rear end out for a disc brake D80 I have.

20210205 165131

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My original plan was to just clean the motor up and replace the head bolts with studs, one at a time. But once it was out I decided to get the head decked, o-ringed, ported, 60 lb springs with tophat seals, a valve job done....And since the piston tops were just looking at me, I figured I might as well tear the block down and rebuild. Block got professionally cleaned, honed, and decked .010". Went back together with all new bearings, arp rod bolts, new rings, 174/203 cam and lifters, H-11 head studs, 5x12 injectors, some goodies in a 215hp p-pump, fluid dampr balancer, all being fed with an HE351 over HT60 turbos.

Blew apart the stock intercooler within 100 miles. Now its making over 60lbs of boost with a new intercooler, as long as there is traction. I have no idea how much power it is making, but even with stock timing and stock lift pump it was breaking traction at 70mph on skinny tires if you romped it.

This is how it sits now, need to do a little body work then paint, and swap the rear end out for a disc brake D80 I have.

View attachment 253174
Holy s***! Overkill a daily driver much lol. You did it right, the rest you can get later. Ya you’ve got a lot more power then I’ll be running and I’ll be double. It does make me giggle when I hear people say they didn’t any power compared to the new stuff, it sure doesn’t take much to get um there!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
7 of the aftermarket gauge sensors in so far. Trying to do them all as nice and tidy as possible. Also double checking for any possible clearance issue. The exhaust pressure sensor was the toughest, have to run 8ft of copper tubing to cool off exhaust before it reaches the sensor. Coiled it directly of the engine so it gives a little from the engine, not positive on how to do it but looks right by me.
Not my forte but think it looks ok and anything ran gets mounted tight but also in rubber if needed so no vibrations, time consuming. Much of the factory stuff is getting mounted same way. s*** it’s taking forever but want it to hold up to the thousands of dirt road miles coming it’s way.
4A2D47AB 3972 48BF 96ED 985EDF881F33

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One of them days today, started out at 9 and just coming in now. Never checked to see if the truck was charging after it started. Well I’d done a lot including alternator and one-wire regulator so when I finally checked today and it wasn’t charging it was an oh s*** moment.
Volt meter, went back to stock and swapped in a bunch of s*** from my other truck before narrrowing which wire was the issue.
Kept thinking it was something I’d done but it was the damn ignition wire to the alternator. Tore into the harness and found where someone had cut that wire and on the alt side had grounded the positive. I can’t figure for the life of me why. What sucks is I saw that “ground” with crap connector and had replaced it not knowing, and that section of harness looked good so just taped over the cut wire end that I hadn’t seen in the loom. Guess that’s what I get, other peoples crap. f***! All day though. Good news is it’s now charging and I checked EVERYTHING electrical now and it’s good. I’ll be couple days getting everything cleaned up, was “slightly” over aggressive getting to the problem.Another waisted day, sucks because I had no idea what was working on either of my very molested trucks, finding out the hard way.

Last edited:
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7 of the aftermarket gauge sensors in so far. Trying to do them all as nice and tidy as possible. Also double checking for any possible clearance issue. The exhaust pressure sensor was the toughest, have to run 8ft of copper tubing to cool off exhaust before it reaches the sensor. Coiled it directly of the engine so it gives a little from the engine, not positive on how to do it but looks right by me.
Not my forte but think it looks ok and anything ran gets mounted tight but also in rubber if needed so no vibrations, time consuming. Much of the factory stuff is getting mounted same way. s*** it’s taking forever but want it to hold up to the thousands of dirt road miles coming it’s way.
View attachment 253270

What’s the reason for doing a back pressure sensor?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What’s the reason for doing a back pressure sensor?
Tells ya how hard the turbo is working to get the boost. Gets you a little more efficient as well. They say pressure and boost sides should be close in pressures so I’ll dial it in with that. Then down road all that gauge is really good for is to give an indication of turbo condition.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Staying at it but waiting for a few things from the Big Brown truck and the ever elusive cash flow currently. But a few things.
first of all that damn radiator (ya I know it’s really tight for sake of argument) is finally totally in. The piece from FarFromStock (perfectly named for this truck) needed massive “adjustments. Had to bend it up and do a few cuts then weld and paint. Was going to go flat black but f*** that, had some encouraging words from friends also, so went red. Needed paint, might as well look cool. Also just scratched up the emblem and cleared over the steel for a finish touch.
43115BB5 E050 4F7A 9684 D28C15E43EDF
129A502D 7F32 45CB AA01 A1AC98811AA1
459F5479 D278 4CAD BEE1 5C109F5D571D

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Staying at it but waiting for a few things from the Big Brown truck and the ever elusive cash flow currently. But a few things.
first of all that damn radiator (ya I know it’s really tight for sake of argument) is finally totally in. The piece from FarFromStock (perfectly named for this truck) needed massive “adjustments. Had to bend it up and do a few cuts then weld and paint. Was going to go flat black but f*** that, had some encouraging words from friends also, so went red. f*** it, needed paint, might as well look cool. Also just scratched up the emblem and cleared over the steel for a finish touch.
View attachment 254027View attachment 254029View attachment 254028
All I think of every time I see that FFS is "For f***s Sake" lol... which is fitting for the argument about the radiator

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Instrument cluster is in, added a few led strips as well as the replacement bulbs to get the effect I wanted. Looks good I think. Pics absolutely don’t do this justice but so much better then stock crap dim green. This is turned down so pic took some.
Still have the bezel and everything else to go but getting excited.
3959A1D1 D37D 47CE 87CE C5FEB1CD19F2
4C69BAD5 E657 4AA3 80C1 3149EE14C22F

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Best new thing happened today. Oh my god I can take relief, went to license dept to get it in my name, scared with all the time and money invested at this point that there’d be a lien, brand or some Washington bs hoops to go through. It was clean and clear and mileage was shown and everything lines up!!
She was able to change color and cab. It’s official, it’s a low mileage 1993 Cummins 4door 4x4 LE dually, white and grey with no brands and licensed in my name. Best and most opted of the first gen but better. Arguably one the most sought after Dodge trucks and definitely something I thought I’d never be able to build or own.
Today is a f***ing awesome day and I feel blessed. It’s not all for nothing. Yes I know it didn’t need to be licensed yet, but it is🤗🤗 Idaho plates coming not long after she hits pavement.
Breathe time and encouragement to keep going.
5ADB0CD4 2629 487D B540 21E3AABF3D87

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Best new thing happened today. Oh my god I can take relief, went to license dept to get it in my name, scared with all the time and money invested at this point that there’d be a lien, brand or some Washington bs hoops to go through. It was clean and clear and mileage was shown and everything lines up!!
She was able to change color and cab. It’s official, it’s a low mileage 1993 Cummins 4door 4x4 LE dually, white and grey with no brands and licensed in my name. Best and most opted of the first gen but better. Arguably one the most sought after Dodge trucks and definitely something I thought I’d never be able to build or own.
Today is a f***ing awesome day and I feel blessed. It’s not all for nothing. Yes I know it didn’t need to be licensed yet, but it is🤗🤗 Idaho plates coming not long after she hits pavement.
View attachment 254037
Better that you got that out of the way now rather than after you got it all done and then find out you've got issues on that end.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Better that you got that out of the way now rather than after you got it all done and then find out you've got issues on that end.
That was my thinking. Been putting it off not knowing what I’d do, thinking I’d have to buy another truck for title purposes possibly. it was time.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
first of all that damn radiator (ya I know it’s really tight for sake of argument) is finally totally in. The piece from FarFromStock (perfectly named for this truck) needed massive “adjustments. Had to bend it up and do a few cuts then weld and paint. Was going to go flat black but f*** that, had some encouraging words from friends also, so went red. f*** it, needed paint, might as well look cool. Also just scratched up the emblem and cleared over the steel for a finish touch.
View attachment 254027View attachment 254029View attachment 254028
That paint job is slick!

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 254037
Congrats on the titling of Frankie. I have experienced the anxiety when registering a vehicle. I’m glad it went through. 😎🤘🏾

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congrats on the titling of Frankie. I have experienced the anxiety when registering a vehicle. I’m glad it went through. 😎🤘🏾
Reread that and didn’t mean to sound like the ugly girl that got picked for prom. But with all that’s happened I really expected to have more issues with title work. And the guy I bought it from had wrote salvage on title which didn’t help.
like you said about anxiety, I think most of this group that’s bought a questionable vehicle has felt that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Instrument cluster got cleaned up today. Repaired a broken out section and then ran clear tinted with burgundy and russet pearl over the cheap looking wood grain to give it some life
018CD655 64AD 4556 9A4D C9A2866E305D
039A4FC6 2FD6 49C9 A61F 35E9092824AD
D14A69D2 C223 4710 811B 6E6531F2DCB2
D2AFCFCD 8DD1 401D 92E6 CF22F93669FA

just sitting in there.

FEA6AFBF 20F6 4E07 B6CA 673985962AC4

Chunk that was missing was kind of a b**** with all the little grooves
2E501187 7186 4EA8 9834 C8A30E229E15

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!