Cummins Built Not Bought/The Life of Frankie.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well not much to update. Saturday was just to cold so came in early. Today added the diesel heater and stayed overly warm. Went to the wrecking yard and got a large wire grommet to go through the firewall for the wires for all the new gauges. Came from Toyota Camry, fit the need and looks factory to the truck believe it or not.
Only 2 gauges to run into the cab left, taking forever keeping things hidden and clean looking. Was a good day though, my daughter helped a lot so I was explaining things and taking a little extra time. Need to do that more and try to be more patient. Was awesome having someone out with me especially her.

7DABC78F E28A 4750 93BE 514B3ABC1E48

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Tells ya how hard the turbo is working to get the boost. Gets you a little more efficient as well. They say pressure and boost sides should be close in pressures so I’ll dial it in with that. Then down road all that gauge is really good for is to give an indication of turbo condition.
The 7.3 Ford diesel had a factory EBP sensor. It was accessible by scanner to check backpressure on the exhaust. Of course it came with a catalytic converter and muffler so it aided in telling if there was a restriction in the exhaust.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well not much to update. Saturday was just to cold so came in early. Today added the diesel heater and stayed overly warm. Went to the wrecking yard and got a large wire grommet to go through the firewall for the wires for all the new gauges. Came from Toyota Camry, fit the need and looks factory to the truck believe it or not.
Only 2 gauges to run into the cab left, taking forever keeping things hidden and clean looking. Was a good day though, my daughter helped a lot so I was explaining things and taking a little extra time. Need to do that more and try to be more patient. Was awesome having someone out with me especially her.

View attachment 255079
It's great that she takes an interest in your work. She is learning the mechanics of the truck and her Dad's quirks! Enjoy it while you can!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's great that she takes an interest in your work. She is learning the mechanics of the truck and her Dad's quirks! Enjoy it while you can!
Oh I definitely know. She use to work with me a lot till recently as she got older. Felt nice having her back. I took great caution not to cuss and yell like I sometimes do, especially wiring so hopefully she comes back😊

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 7.3 Ford diesel had a factory EBP sensor. It was accessible by scanner to check backpressure on the exhaust. Of course it came with a catalytic converter and muffler so it aided in telling if there was a restriction in the exhaust.
Well no factory cat with 12valve but you know that. I don’t want the cab drone that these get with straight pipe so i picked up a Banks flow through muffler, it’ll quiet her down just a little too but leave the rumble. So it will have muffler.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Side jobs for cash done for the weekend. Yippee! Back on the dually.
Well like everything else from my donor rig I’m finding out it had a very hard life! Various items were used to hold the window up. Door was hit so hard it trashed the regulator.
Welp screw it, all new regulators and power widow motors on the list. For now gotta repair any s*** wiring into the doors and get that all in. It’s true you can polish a turd.
They have to be wired before dash is completed so “new exciting” project underway. Want that dash in ASAP.
06C8DC54 05FF 4A56 A99A EBA7B81C6835

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Side jobs for cash done for the weekend. Yippee! Back on the dually.
Well like everything else from my donor rig I’m finding out it had a very hard life! Various items were used to hold the window up. Door was hit so hard it trashed the regulator.
Welp screw it, all new regulators and power widow motors on the list. For now gotta repair any s*** wiring into the doors and get that all in. It’s true you can polish a turd.
They have to be wired before dash is completed so “new exciting” project underway. Want that dash in ASAP.
View attachment 256533
Dam!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Been busy on stupid stuff but figured I’d show how fixing scratches and holes in the dash related items. This was glove box. Threw a light sand then poly (Bondo) and smoothie out just a bit. A little clear chip guard sprayed on kinda dry to get thicker texture and sand back down just a little. Did that twice before color. Did that on dash, ashtray etc. and will have to clean up door panels as well.
not perfect but acceptable, tough to match the varied vinyl look but a little work and better.

360311C1 3080 4CAF 86CE F533032EE9AB
20C409D9 F9A3 4BC9 8848 D989A8EE5CAE

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And as I’m going along it’s getting felt, rubber bumper, or double back tape anywhere plastic meets plastic or screws down to metal. Should kill off any vibrations and in some areas the double back between panels with screws will hold on very tight. Be a b**** later if need be but that’s ok.
68B8A93C 811A 4B66 9F4D 1E78C32BDB36

and every trim piece throughout gets sound deadener on both the trim and the body it covers. So it’ll be double layer for the most part. Like the dash I already mentioned doing this on underside it’s a substantial amount, probably over 200 pounds worth (not exactly concerned about weight, lol), I figure about 24 boxes worth. The doors will get three layers, one on inside of skin, one one face under door panel and one on door panel of each so nearly 3 boxes per door.
First gen imo isn’t loud by any stretch but I want her quiet inside, a long haul machine.
Taking a bit just to get the parts in I have but all the cleanup and adding is taking awhile. Had to rebuild both door light switches and taking others apart as well to clean up contact points and lube. I want this to be a very long term trouble free pickup. If it’s made it 30 years it can do it again.

7643B235 D48C 426C B32B BC6723A939C4
302C0E15 4752 4AC7 9E1A B6075CDBA5EF

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And as I’m going along it’s getting felt, rubber bumper, or double back tape anywhere plastic meets plastic or screws down to metal. Should kill off any vibrations and in some areas the double back between panels with screws will hold on very tight. Be a b**** later if need be but that’s ok. View attachment 256671

and every trim piece throughout gets sound deadener on both the trim and the body it covers. So it’ll be double layer for the most part. Like the dash I already mentioned doing this on underside it’s a substantial amount, probably over 200 pounds worth (not exactly concerned about weight, lol), I figure about 24 boxes worth. The doors will get three layers, one on inside of skin, one one face under door panel and one on door panel of each so nearly 3 boxes per door.
First gen imo isn’t loud by any stretch but I want her quiet inside, a long haul machine.
Taking a bit just to get the parts in I have but all the cleanup and adding is taking awhile. Had to rebuild both door light switches and taking others apart as well to clean up contact points and lube. I want this to be a very long term trouble free pickup. If it’s made it 30 years it can do it again.

View attachment 256674View attachment 256675
Very good planning, I did this to a diesel Scout, made a ton of difference.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Went to my friends wrecking yard yesterday and picked up a few things including headliner from a regular cab, working on figuring out a headliner for the pickup. I’ll head back out for more items shortly once I figure out wtf might be needed. 4-door never had one so it’ll be super fun. Looking into it now as I’m finishing the dash up.
8AC8C085 A37E 4A87 BF0A D502F16492AF

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to my friends wrecking yard yesterday and picked up a few things including headliner from a regular cab, working on figuring out a headliner for the pickup. I’ll head back out for more items shortly once I figure out wtf might be needed. 4-door never had one so it’ll be super fun. Looking into it now as I’m finishing the dash up.
View attachment 257329
Can't wait for you to finish this thing.... gonna be a WELL built GOOD looking truck.

Probably look so good it'll almost be a shame to use it. You better take it to a car show or two and have some good photos taken before you take it to Idaho.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 257329
Could you use two regular cab headliners? Or just spray the roof with Lizard Skin, noise deadner and heat? We sprayed both on the Duster.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Could you use two regular cab headliners? Or just spray the roof with Lizard Skin, noise deadner and heat? We sprayed both on the Duster.
Want a factory looking headliner in it. Really working hard to make it look 100% factory, minus some bling under hood.
Two reg cabs isn’t long enough but I have club cab liner from donor and reg cab. Looks like reg cab for the rear and cut it about 6” back across the front then use club cab up front and splice. Looks about right, I’ll know more when start f***ing around with it.
Plastic trim will be more an issue I believe because the center section between the doors was never made but I’ll make them, just be a b****. No one has done it in a crew that I could find so I want to. We’ll see

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Picked this up today. I actually kinda hated the red stripe on the white/grey trucks but again trying to go for that factor look and it’s grown on me
A743349A 5799 4938 BB75 AA7C5AB794A88F0E7FCB DDCA 4698 970F 16D75894AA2F

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!