P1000 CV temps after a 15 mile ride

D

DDDonkey

@Hondasxs

Well I did a quick ride this morning 45-50 mph for 7.5 miles and took the portal and CV temps after the ride. The fronts were all in the 80 degree area nothing over 90 degrees but the rear was a different story. Just for reference I just installed the Rhino 2.0 axles in the rear and used an infrared temp gun about 4-6" from each component measured.

Going from the pass side to drive side the temps were as follows;

passenger portal -84 degrees
outer cv - 176 degrees
inner cv - 224 degrees
rear diff - 304 degrees
inner cv - 190 degrees
outer cv - 140 degrees
driver portal - 85 degrees

Then after a 5 min cool down I rode home the 7.5 miles (15 miles round trip) and took it again and the end results are this;

passenger portal -90 degrees
outer cv - 174 degrees
inner cv - 275 degrees
rear diff - 294 degrees
inner cv - 195 degrees
outer cv - 150 degrees
Driver portal - 92 degrees

Now the last 3/4 of a mile was at 25 mph in my neighborhood and that's why I think the rear diff cooled down some.

I think that I will be changing the rear diff oil every 600 miles from now on, any thoughts? I was surprised that the portals stay as cool as they did.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for collecting this data. Some of our findings were just as rough.

Do you have a lift kit with the superatv arms?

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
D

DDDonkey

I am running the 814 shocks and they gave me 1.5" of lift, but no bracket or spacer lift. I was really surprised on the rear diff temp even running in turf mode.

Reactions: BWAF
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Hondasxs

Well I did a quick ride this morning 45-50 mph for 7.5 miles and took the portal and CV temps after the ride. The fronts were all in the 80 degree area nothing over 90 degrees but the rear was a different story. Just for reference I just installed the Rhino 2.0 axles in the rear and used an infrared temp gun about 4-6" from each component measured.

Going from the pass side to drive side the temps were as follows;

passenger portal -84 degrees
outer cv - 176 degrees
inner cv - 224 degrees
rear diff - 304 degrees
inner cv - 190 degrees
outer cv - 140 degrees
driver portal - 85 degrees

Then after a 5 min cool down I rode home the 7.5 miles (15 miles round trip) and took it again and the end results are this;

passenger portal -90 degrees
outer cv - 174 degrees
inner cv - 275 degrees
rear diff - 294 degrees
inner cv - 195 degrees
outer cv - 150 degrees
Driver portal - 92 degrees

Now the last 3/4 of a mile was at 25 mph in my neighborhood and that's why I think the rear diff cooled down some.

I think that I will be changing the rear diff oil every 600 miles from now on, any thoughts? I was surprised that the portals stay as cool as they did.
What range was the unit in? Turf, 2wd,4wd ect ?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not that it helps with the 1000, but both my 700 and 500 would/will get too hot to touch on the rear diff and inner cv's. And they sure as hell wouldn't move like a 1000.

J

JTW

Yup.. I’ve been trying to figure this out for a couple years. I don’t have portals but just a HL lift and SATV a arms. I found the stock axles ran cooler than SATV axles. But eventually, did the same. I just put my 2.0’s in yesterday and will see how they do. I’ve been on rides and taken temps from multiple machines and mine is significantly hotter than others. Both inner and outter cvs. My diff is typically cooler than the cvs.

Reactions: BWAF and TripleB
advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@JTW has yours always done it? Ever tried swapping the rear hubs from another machine that doesn't heat up? Maybe something is tweaked just enough to put it in a bind but you can't see it?

Reactions: Mopower58 and BWAF
J

JTW

@JTW has yours always done it? Ever tried swapping the rear hubs from another machine that doesn't heat up? Maybe something is tweaked just enough to put it in a bind but you can't see it?
I first noticed mine when I put on the SATV axles.. it got better when I swapped back to the Honda axles but they eventually did it too. It’s both sides on the rear and innner and outter cv’s

• Wow
Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I first noticed mine when I put on the SATV axles.. it got better when I swapped back to the Honda axles but they eventually did it too. It’s both sides on the rear and innner and outter cv’s
Weird. Maybe you're just too fat? Hopefully the 2.0's resolve it.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Were you having issues in 2wd lock or turf mode?

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder what the difference would be in 2wd lock? Other manufacturers also have heat issues with turf mode. They even came out with a turf mode delete for the Polaris general. Also wondering how the aftermarket axles make more heat. Seams like the heat is simply transferring from the diff. If that theory is correct then A stock axle will stay cooler because the material is more dense, where a lighter material will transfer heat faster. I do some road riding from time to time but I don't worry about it. But an interesting topic.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!