P500 Dealer Replaced Damaged Front Left Outer CV Boot ????

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Purchased a new 2018 Pioneer 500 about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, a stick or something put a hole in the front left outer CV boot.

I took my Pioneer to the dealer today and they replaced the CV boot. Upon inspection after repairs, the boot appeared different (shorter) than the original and the new rubber boot was a very soft material. I questioned the service people and was informed that the new CV boot was an aftermarket part and much better than the original Honda CV boot. I had scheduled this repair and paid $214.00 for this service. I was never informed that aftermarket parts would be installed. One person said that the OEM boot was very expensive ($90.00) and this aftermarket CV boot was better.

I am not sure what to believe and need some advice on this matter. I have attached three pictures ( front left outer CV boot, front right outer CV boot, and the receipt. The new boot they installed looks shorter than the other side. Take a look and tell me what you think.
The left picture is the new left front outer boot, the middle picture is the original front right outer boot.

Thanks for any information.

LF Outer Boot RF Outer Boot Receipt

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to hear you're going through that crap but that $214 just justified what i spent on A arm guards. And that's just the boot, I'm sure the CV itself would cost much more.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dont sweat it. I dont think being a little short will be a issue. If its holding then you are fine.
Is grease escaping? If not, your good.

Oem boot set does run about $60. Dealer will mark that up so 90 may not be far off.
Looks like most of your bill is labor. Which a dealer should charge 2+ hours for this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NitroxDiver
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Dont sweat it. I dont think being a little short will be a issue. If its holding then you are fine.
Is grease escaping? If not, your good.

Oem boot set does run about $60. Dealer will mark that up so 90 may not be far off.
Looks like most of your bill is labor. Which a dealer should charge 2+ hours for this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. The boot appears to hold tight and the grease not leaking. They charged 1.5 hrs labor.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to hear you're going through that crap but that $214 just justified what i spent on A arm guards. And that's just the boot, I'm sure the CV itself would cost much more.

I have already ordered my stick stoppers to help prevent this in the future (Lesson Learned). Check your boots closely by rubbing your fingers around them. I discovered my damage when washing it.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!