Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
HOPE NOT!!!
The dealer had told me the front stayed engaged but did not pull unless in 4WD ????

Anyone else notice the front differential feels like it’s in 4WD when turning on pavement???
I have no problem and have never noticed anything like that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HOPE NOT!!!
The dealer had told me the front stayed engaged but did not pull unless in 4WD ????

Anyone else notice the front differential feels like it’s in 4WD when turning on pavement???
The four-wheel drive is engaged and disengaged with a sliding collar in the front diff. There is no "semi". It's kind of like being pregnant...Either you are or you aren't. The front shaft will always turn, but it will not be transmitting power through the diff in any form in 2wd. It's possible there's a cable misadjusted. The easiest way to check this is to Jack the front end up, put it in 2-wheel drive, and see if you can spin the front wheels. The open nature of the front diff means you have to spid both at the same time. In 2 wheel drive, there should be nothing more than the normal amount of drag from brakes, seals, etc as far as resistance to turning the wheels.

The 700 pioneer is one of the few vehicles I've ever owned where it was actually difficult to tell if it was in 4-wheel drive from the steering, assuming I had the tire pressures all the same. Diff lock, obviously, is another matter, but in two wheel drive, the only scrubbing you should experience from the rear.

Last edited:
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
The four-wheel drive is engaged and disengaged with a sliding collar in the front diff. There is no "semi". It's kind of like being pregnant...Either you are or you aren't. The front shaft will always turn, but it will not be transmitting power through the diff in any form in 2wd. It's possible there's a cable misadjusted. The easiest way to check this is to Jack the front end up, put it in 2-wheel drive, and see if you can spin the front wheels. The open nature of the front diff means you have to spid both at the same time. In 2 wheel drive, there should be nothing more than the normal amount of drag from brakes, seals, etc as far as resistance to turning the wheels.

The 700 pioneer is one of the few vehicles I've ever owned where it was actually difficult to tell if it was in 4-wheel drive from the steering, assuming I had the tire pressures all the same. Diff lock, obviously, is another matter, but in two wheel drive, the only scrubbing you should experience from the rear.

Thanks DG

Are you saying it could be the resistance from the REAR WHEELS that I feel when turning sharp in 2WD on pavement ????
(2018 P700-4Delux)

If so....Does that mean that the rear 2 wheels are the one that stay connected 2WD or 4WD ???

I really have no clue but I will jack it up and do what you suggested tomorrow 👍👍

THX AGAIN

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Does the handle KNOB twist off on the P700 so you can slip the rubber down the shaft OR do you have to access the handle and remove it from behind the dash??????
thx

I made that one for the 500 and it'll slip over the knob. No idea what a 700 shift lever looks like. Heat, twist, pull and pry, it'll come off.

Fist 1

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
I made that one for the 500 and it'll slip over the knob. No idea what a 700 shift lever looks like. Heat, twist, pull and pry, it'll come off.

View attachment 197977

After looking at it, you’re right.... the slit will be plenty big on both 3 position levers on a 700.
THANKS for a simple solution as I start heat/sound seat protection tomorrow!!!!
Gives me another COVID Project 👍👍😅

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks DG

Are you saying it could be the resistance from the REAR WHEELS that I feel when turning sharp in 2WD on pavement ????
(2018 P700-4Delux)

If so....Does that mean that the rear 2 wheels are the one that stay connected 2WD or 4WD ???

I really have no clue but I will jack it up and do what you suggested tomorrow 👍👍

THX AGAIN

DG
You were right.👍👍👍 The front wheels turn independently. It must be the rears binding on pavement. (Ive only had this machine 5 hours of driving—-1st SxS...Had a Rincon 15 years.).

The 700 must be like the 1000 minus the turf mode??? Found this on the forum:
THX

03A45DC8 92E0 4474 B3FB 594F692E5D7B

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG
You were right.👍👍👍 The front wheels turn independently. It must be the rears binding on pavement. (Ive only had this machine 5 hours of driving—-1st SxS...Had a Rincon 15 years.).

The 700 must be like the 1000 minus the turf mode??? Found this on the forum:
THX

View attachment 197985
Yes. With the exception of turf mode being "one wheel drive". What turf mode does is allow the rear diff to operate as an open diff, meaning torque can be biased between the two wheels as needed by different wheel speed demands. The only vehicles with "1 wheel drive" are bikes, motorcycles, and powerwheels toys.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yes. With the exception of turf mode being "one wheel drive". What turf mode does is allow the rear diff to operate as an open diff, meaning torque can be biased between the two wheels as needed by different wheel speed demands. The only vehicles with "1 wheel drive" are bikes, motorcycles, and powerwheels toys.
Yep, only time you get "1 wheel drive" in Turf is if you get stuck and diff out to whichever side spins easier.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thx👍👍👍

Reactions: Biteme
M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
Well Honda, my wife and I had hopes for the new 520! Well you managed to keep the same "spartan" 500 and added a dump bed...I had high hopes for something a little more upscale, to enhance the reliability and usefulness of the P5. Perhaps a DELUX model w/power steering and nice wheels, a softer more aesthetic looking seat. Well we have retired our trusty P5 to our mountain cabin (maybe used 2/3 times a year) for a full size utv (sorry it is not a Honda), but thanks for the dependability and reliability of the P5

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Dear Honda, please hire some Polaris engineers to show you how to build a comfortable, smooth riding, well fitted machine. In particular, hire the ones that designed the Polaris Northstar.

Thanks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!