Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Soooo. We went up up to the woods for our Christmas it's something we do every year now we go up with family and friends. In years past there hasn't been much snow. This year was different the camp we stay at wasn't able to plow the 7/8 mile up to the cabin and said it might be accessible by snowmobile (which we had but wouldn't have gone in with all the stops on the hill because of fallen trees) but nothing else. When we arrived we found out just how bad it was my wife went to get keys and some dry wood from the owners who are very big with Polaris and can-am. They told her not to go up the road with the sxs they wouldn't dream of attempting but after she drove through their backyard of over two feet to grab a pickup box of wood without a slip they said maybe. We got the gate open and started. It's about a 14-16 grade all uphill for nearly a mile over 15 downed trees lots of bushes really messed up it took us all with saws and the Honda 4 hours to make it well we did! Minimum snow was a little over 2 feet but the snow drifts were really deep I realized how much I preferred manual going up this. We had to back up several times and pound the nose into it headlight deep at times never got stuck just kept going. The owners and everyone else including me were surprised. Everyone said they would have gone through multiple belts to even attempt it. Love this machine!!! Incredible Honda. Oh and by the way the radiator was packed the whole way uphill revving hard in 1st and idling so we had lights and tunes loaded from the downed trees and never over two bars on temp! Pulled a loaded trailer pulled a Tahoe sideways from the road two vehicles from the ditch I beet the hell out of it did everything I could find that make people cringe! Love this machine! Everyone that's holding out on it... Buy one and empress your Polaris buddies.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
WOW... I want to play.
This would have been a blast.
Never seen a snow like that but one day I'm going to time it right and make a trip up to the mountains...
I hope.

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

Thanks for the great story! I'll give ours a run for it's money...but first it needs to snow here!
I do miss the mountain snow. We used to make at least two snowmobile trips a year to the West Yellowstone area. In fact I got a picture from a friend today of 2' of fresh powder on Two Tops.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not going to lie when they said I couldn't it gave me an extra bit of steam. I think the owner is now considering one as well he just bought the 800rzr and replaced belt under 400 miles he has had nothing but problems over the years with them and buys new every other year or so. It's nice to have such a usable rig that lasts. But on this sight there's no need to brag because everyone here knows what's up. Again guys we did the right move I LOVE THIS THIS SXS!!it does everything.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for the great story! I'll give ours a run for it's money...but first it needs to snow here!
I do miss the mountain snow. We used to make at least two snowmobile trips a year to the West Yellowstone area. In fact I got a picture from a friend today of 2' of fresh powder on Two Tops.
This was first good snow in years. We have older sleds and including this weekend only 7 times out in 3 years. We camp a lot but prefer wheels as its 11 months a year so this was great. Still rode it more then the sleds it's just so much fun

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
We had a similar Christmas adventure at our friend's cabin in northern Idaho. The 500 sure was impressive with it's new bighorns. Even without a locker I was able to push through deeper powder than my buddy's rzr. He had to follow in my tracks lol!

@CumminsPusher how do you keep the windshield from fogging up on the inside?

IMG 18011

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We had a similar Christmas adventure at our friend's cabin in northern Idaho. The 500 sure was impressive with it's new bighorns. Even without a locker I was able to push through deeper powder than my buddy's rzr. He had to follow in my tracks lol!

@CumminsPusher how do you keep the windshield from fogging up on the inside?

View attachment 8462

Where at in northern Idaho? We were in cataldo. We ride this whole area be interested sometime going out. We haven't got the heater just yet but the little 12v on eBay for 8 buck pointed at the window helped a bunch. However at anything over about 15mph it defrosted really good way better then our last one did. Above 20 no problems at all. Between the seat heat and little heater we were quite cozy

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher Nice story and pics. Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it. Would love to run through some fresh powder for a day or two.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We were south of St Maries near Fernwood. We live about an hour from Boise though so it's hard to make it up there too often.
Well we spend most of the year in st. Marie's at a place called Christmas hills. It's free camping and you can go forever there and the terrain is varied drastically. The best time is during Paul Bunyan days on Labor Day lots to do and can watch boat races from about 1500 ft up from camp. It's a very safe place almost impossible to get lost our kids know the place very well and are open to go riding whenever there. If ever interested just message me.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
What a great trip and great report! Thanks!

More proof our Honda SXS are really something different than the norm....but I knew that when I got mine (700-4) after riding Honda 4-wheelers for years.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What a great trip and great report! Thanks!

More proof our Honda SXS are really something different than the norm....but I knew that when I got mine (700-4) after riding Honda 4-wheelers for years.
Thanks so much everyone it's nice to have fun and good times and be able to talk about it. Way better then breaking down and telling how miserable it was. We've been Honda for years from bikes and 4wheelers to generators and lawnmowers. We bought a couple Polaris's and CanAm prior to our 700-4 but we had to just because Honda had nothing out. Nothing but problems just like everyone else. Nice ride but expensive to own.the people who don't break down on them either don't ride many miles don't ride hard or service every trip. We have so many machines going every weekend through the summer it's hard to deal with. When the 700 came out there was no question what we were going to do. And no belt!!! We bought it the day we found out about it. The 1000 like everyone else we had to wait but no regrets. WE WILL ALWAYS BUY HONDA! They are better. Everyone knows it but some people still prefer working on their stuff rather then enjoying it:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter and DTAGG
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Same here. I have been riding Hondas since my first Honda 50 in 1972 continuing with probably owning 10 to 15 Hondas from motorcycles, 3 and 4 wheelers and even a few cars and most recently selling my XR650L and getting a used 750-4.
Always reliable and bullet proof machines that I have enjoyed owning most of my life.
Might be a 1000 in my future!
Anyone ready to part with their used 1000? LOL

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Same here. I have been riding Hondas since my first Honda 50 in 1972 continuing with probably owning 10 to 15 Hondas from motorcycles, 3 and 4 wheelers and even a few cars and most recently selling my XR650L and getting a used 750-4.
Always reliable and bullet proof machines that I have enjoyed owning most of my life.
Might be a 1000 in my future!
Anyone ready to part with their used 1000? LOL
Good luck with used there probably won't be to many and if there are it'll be damn near price of new being Honda. We did really well selling our 700. I love a Honda for resale!

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Got a great deal on my fully hard enclosed glass windshield heated 700-4 with brand new radial tires and warn winch. Right place right time AND it needed a little bit of work.
After building a "new parts" top end, i am not sure why it was using oil but I do love it.

2015 10 27 182156

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!