P1000 Defrost vents

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Has anyone got defrost vents installed on the top edge of the dash? I installed some defrosters with a temporary chamber made out of some rubber sheeting and foam. So far it puts out good heat and airflow, but it definitely won’t last last. Anyone done something similar with more durable materials? Going to order an plastic welder and attempt to take the dash off and build a plastic box, unless someone else has a good idea.
BC814DA5 C968 40C5 AFFD 1A66EC1A3044
FFF1307C 0800 4574 851E 52BD2D4310FC

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep us posted what are you using for heat great idea

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
It’ll be 2 weeks before I tinker with it some more, just started my work rotation.
I’m using the 2 outlet heater from summit. Mounted under the hood
82B8855A E292 447B BB70 A8106DB416D0

One outlet feeds 2 vents, 1 on each side of the lower cubby. The other outlet feeds the chamber for the defrost.
B468F781 EA91 4AFD 9F43 E208A7193123

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm just using manafold heat under seat and bilge fan for heat right now works pretty good dryer vent hose from fan to vent .

20180413 171515 20180412 182326

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Tied into the line going to the oil cooler. Only minor issue was topping off the coolant. I’ll add a tee and cap up high near the heater.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
The fan worked well, but it just didn’t hold up well for as many creek crossings I do. That’s the reason I chose to mount the heater under the hood vs under the seat.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The fan worked well, but it just didn’t hold up well for as many creek crossings I do. That’s the reason I chose to mount the heater under the hood vs under the seat.
When you boys going invite some us southern boys up for some ice fishing? Hear ya'll get bored in the winter and need a good laugh!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I tried the defrost thing...this summer my front driveshaft got hungry and ate all my ductwork and took out my sub trans seal and a bunch of wiring. I ran two ducts at that time.

this time I only ran one.

my heater is under my seat.

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF
advertisement
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Come on up. I wouldn’t be the best person to take you ice fishing, since I don’t ice fish. Come up during salmon season and I’ll fish with ya.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For what its worth I added Inferno heater last weekend. The blower motor wiring harness intercepts with plug on the back of the 12v power outlet on the lower dash. I crawled all over and under my machine trying to get to it and finally figured it out. I had the machine up on ramps and sat on the floor in front off to the drivers side and could just fit my arm through the framing etc. and get to the plug. I'm 6-2 with what I assume is normal arm length and could just reach it. So if it helps anyone else,...God bless. I just couldn't find another way to reach it.. I looked at pulling the dash and that looked like a big NO to me..

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Has anyone got defrost vents installed on the top edge of the dash? I installed some defrosters with a temporary chamber made out of some rubber sheeting and foam. So far it puts out good heat and airflow, but it definitely won’t last last. Anyone done something similar with more durable materials? Going to order an plastic welder and attempt to take the dash off and build a plastic box, unless someone else has a good idea. View attachment 234437View attachment 234438
Where did you get the vent grilles? I’m wondering if you could use a piece of abs plastic pipe as a duct and cut in the vent grilles.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Where did you get the vent grilles? I’m wondering if you could use a piece of abs plastic pipe as a duct and cut in the vent grilles.

I ordered a defroster kit when I ordered the heater from Summit. I only used the grills, once I found out there wasn't enough room for ducting. You won't have enough room to put a piece of pipe in that location. My plan was to take the dash off and box in that area.
I was trying to figure out where to get some ABS sheets locally. Now that you mention the pipe, I might just have some plumbing scraps I could cut up.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Went for a ride a couple days ago. Temps were in the mid 20s. Heater on low all day, we were more than warm enough. I was down to a tee shirt and had the windshield vents cracked open to keep the temps down. Splashed through a lot of water and never got any steam in the cab. I managed to find a deep hole that would had affected any heater mounted under the seat or on the floor. Even in all that water, the under hood heater never blew steam into the cab. Some of the other guys keep having to stop and clear ice or steam off their windshields, mine stayed ice free all day.
Couple of videos of the hole I found,

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For what its worth I added Inferno heater last weekend. The blower motor wiring harness intercepts with plug on the back of the 12v power outlet on the lower dash. I crawled all over and under my machine trying to get to it and finally figured it out. I had the machine up on ramps and sat on the floor in front off to the drivers side and could just fit my arm through the framing etc. and get to the plug. I'm 6-2 with what I assume is normal arm length and could just reach it. So if it helps anyone else,...God bless. I just couldn't find another way to reach it.. I looked at pulling the dash and that looked like a big NO to me..
Late post, I'm 5' 8" and all I had to do was turn wheels all the way to the right, and then reach between the tire and the frame. I'm small enough to get in there. Do it when engine is cool, or a long sleeve shirt as your arm touches the radiator hoses. Also, I am going to run my heater controls off of my power distribution (fuse block and relays) center I am building.

Reactions: Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
In installed the HSXS key-on power adapter by unplugging the plug on the back of the 12v outlet in the lower dash and plugging it back together with one hand. Had no issues reaching it from the passenger side, but I'm 6'2" with long arms. :)

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
In installed the HSXS key-on power adapter by unplugging the plug on the back of the 12v outlet in the lower dash and plugging it back together with one hand. Had no issues reaching it from the passenger side, but I'm 6'2" with long arms. :)
I ended pulling the whole front clip off of my P3. It was a big job, but my heater is mounted on the firewall under the battery tray. Access for key-on adapter was easy then. But many hours (and beers) of disassembly and reassembly.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!