P1000 Defrost

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is more of a long term planning but looking at adding a heater and enclosure for fall elk hunting season where temps can range from 50 degrees to -15. Catch is I don't really need the heat since I am already dressed for sub zero temps (but heat would be nice if I take my kid along), but one thing I will need is the ability to defrost the windshield for either snowy days or to remove the morning frost before I head out. Don't mind letting it idle for a while while I get ready to warm up the windshield.

In all my searching I haven't really found any options from a defrost standpoint. Seems like it would be easier to buy a golf cart heater, let it warm up the cab for 10 minutes and just skip installing a heater all together. I like the Ice Crusher just from a mounting location standpoint, but it isn't clear to me if they will defrost the windshield.

How are you guys with plows keeping your windshield clear? Are there any brands out there that dump more heat on the windshield than my feet?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
R

rickoshea

i have a plow but i don't seem to be having any windshield frost at all.if i were parking it out in the elements i guess i'd throw a tarp over it,but it gets to sit in a partially heated shop.

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
This is more of a long term planning but looking at adding a heater and enclosure for fall elk hunting season where temps can range from 50 degrees to -15. Catch is I don't really need the heat since I am already dressed for sub zero temps (but heat would be nice if I take my kid along), but one thing I will need is the ability to defrost the windshield for either snowy days or to remove the morning frost before I head out. Don't mind letting it idle for a while while I get ready to warm up the windshield.

In all my searching I haven't really found any options from a defrost standpoint. Seems like it would be easier to buy a golf cart heater, let it warm up the cab for 10 minutes and just skip installing a heater all together. I like the Ice Crusher just from a mounting location standpoint, but it isn't clear to me if they will defrost the windshield.

How are you guys with plows keeping your windshield clear? Are there any brands out there that dump more heat on the windshield than my feet?

I have a soft enclosure, Honda 2 piece windshield and a under seat inferno heater.

all my heater ducts are on the floor and I plow with a sweatshirt on in the winter.

I have never needed to clear my windshield except for once or twice for snow coming past the snow flap on the plow. I simply get out and wipe it off with a towel. If I wait it simply melts down.

my P1k5 is stored in its trailer or in my unheated shop. Because of that I can’t answer about frost. My windshield has never fogged over either.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. My guess is once I get it cleared it should be OK unless there is heavy snow.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Plowed with graders, side winder truck plows, dozers,snow blowers and they all had crappy or no defroster but most had metal, 3 speed fans that helped circulate heat.
JMO

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine sits in a heated shop as well with inferno heater installed so when I take it out I never seem to have any issue with fogging up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!