P1000 Delton's painfully slow build

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Just got shipping confirmation from Jegs on welder. Should be here tomorrow woohoo!!. They even beat Eastwood's price plus I like to think my money is helping my favorite nhra driver Jeg Coughlin jr.
Eastwood sent me an email that my cutter has shipped, but can't get tracking number to work. I'm ready to cut some sh*t up lol
I bought a Eastwood Versa-cut 40 a year ago and used it quite a bit. I was working on a project and it quit on me using 240v but would work on 120v. I called Eastwood and no questions asked, full replacement. They payed the shipping bolt ways . I couldn't be happier with Eastwood customer service.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a Eastwood Versa-cut 40 a year ago and used it quite a bit. I was working on a project and it quit on me using 240v but would work on 120v. I called Eastwood and no questions asked, full replacement. They payed the shipping bolt ways . I couldn't be happier with Eastwood customer service.
I've heard several similar stories and was a major part of deciding to get one. 3 year no questions asked warranty is hard to beat. My welder never showed up despite Jegs reassuring me it was on the truck for delivery. Maybe tomorrow.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've heard several similar stories and was a major part of deciding to get one. 3 year no questions asked warranty is hard to beat. My welder never showed up despite Jegs reassuring me it was on the truck for delivery. Maybe tomorrow.
I hope you get that soon! It's going to be fun to watch you go

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Versa cut 40 is what I bought. Supposed to be good up to 3/8". Doubt I'll ever do more than 1/4" so it should be all I need.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope you get that soon! It's going to be fun to watch you go
Won't be much to watch for a while. Gotta get the hang of it first. I took to mig pretty quick so maybe it won't be too long. I can fill in steel already (got alot of past brazing experience) but still gotta get to where I can lay beads with steel. And then there's aluminum lol. The filling in will come in handy when chopping the cage. Eventually I want a whole new cage. Something with a little baja flare lol. The rear will be bolt on so I can swap rear sections easily. For when I have passengers in the back.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It finally showed up. This is my first attempt. Gotta start somewhere lol.
IMG 20170111 111939506 1336x752

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks incredible for a first test piece !! Especially for that metal lol. What you going to build today??
No building today just some practicing. Got a kid with Dr appt at 2, then making a run to AL. Hate to take away from the practice but it's a worthwhile trip lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I came to see lol. Quick bottle change and voila!
IMG 20170111 113407540 HDR 1336x752
Gonna take some time to get settings down. Love the welder! I'm only doing 1/8" and it's just barely turned up. I'm gonna look for some 1/4".

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My tutor at work told me biggest thing is to find my comfortable position. And obviously I haven't done that. Torch feels wierd in my hand (my tendinitis in both wrists don't help either). I'll keep playing with hand position, sitting/standing, etc.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My tutor at work told me biggest thing is to find my comfortable position. And obviously I haven't done that. Torch feels wierd in my hand (my tendinitis in both wrists don't help either). I'll keep playing with hand position, sitting/standing, etc.
Wonder how you got tendinitis in your wrists?:rolleyes:

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Delton when you coming back to Mary's Ridge? Bring the welder... we'll break something that has to be welded!
Soon as I can catch a break with appointments. Had multiple dr appts and 3 court appearances this week alone. Spare time is a rare commodity these days

bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to bad on the welding for just starting out! A few tips... 1. clean metal (all the way around on both parts being welded) 2. settings (for the most part just use what the label says for what thickness, if no label look it up. WELDING CALCULATOR there's an app for that) 3. weld puddle (look at the sides of the weld not just behind it, that will help keep it even) COUNT 123,123,123 if you are putting some motion or weaving it counting like the tempo of a song will help keep the bead all the same size and width (left =1, center = 2 , right = 3) There are alot of videos out there some good and some not so good. Just get comfortable and practice and practice and practice. Don't just weld good enough, remember that weld my save your life or lose it!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to bad on the welding for just starting out! A few tips... 1. clean metal (all the way around on both parts being welded) 2. settings (for the most part just use what the label says for what thickness, if no label look it up. WELDING CALCULATOR there's an app for that) 3. weld puddle (look at the sides of the weld not just behind it, that will help keep it even) COUNT 123,123,123 if you are putting some motion or weaving it counting like the tempo of a song will help keep the bead all the same size and width (left =1, center = 2 , right = 3) There are alot of videos out there some good and some not so good. Just get comfortable and practice and practice and practice. Don't just weld good enough, remember that weld my save your life or lose it!
Thanks for the tips. It's alot more involved than MIG welding that's for sure lol

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another tip for the spool gun is if you can hold your hand to it for more than 3 secs its cooled down enough to keep welding

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another tip for the spool gun is if you can hold your hand to it for more than 3 secs its cooled down enough to keep welding

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
I did pretty good with my spool gun. I welded up complete intercooler piping for my car couple years ago. I learned to keep moving and that it loves wire lol. Autoset is useless on aluminum.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement