P500 Diesel air heater for P500

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I used the mounting plate that came with the heater. I drilled a couple of holes in it and used a longer bolt and 2 nuts for the front to go thru the radiator bracket. In the back I made a drop bracket that came off the square support at the rear.

View attachment 110103

20181025 162041 20180920 191548

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone tried kerosene in the unit yet?
I only use kerosene. It costs more but I had no problem when I used it ice fishing when it was -30 a few nights. I have used 8 gallons so far this winter. Plus I fire mine off by my remote in the house and let it warm up for 10-15 minuets as the p500 is in my garage and I don't open the garage door untill I leave. Kerosene won't choke you out in the closed garage. It does smell like I remember my Grandpa's farm house when he used kerosene heaters to help with the heat. It burns way cleaner and will not "soot" up the heater.

Last edited:
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I see that on your pics you have black hose coming out from the heater but precious pic with silver? Did you upgraded the hose?

Also how did you make vents to stay in the cup holders and not to come off?

Can't get anything by you. lol.
The first hot air outlet was black and 90mm. The outlet is 75mm so I bought some 3" ridged flex dryer vent pipe (silver) and replaced the black pipe.
The outlet vents that came with my kit are 75mm and they have 3 hidden screw from the top that hold them in. So the 60mm hose that goes to them go inside the vent and I added a cardboard spacers. I bought 60mm vents to replace them and I see they are smaller were they sit in the cup holder so I will make a plastic plate adapter. I am going to change the passenger side outlet vent to go down lower to heat the floor and my feet and use the passenger side cup holder as the return intake for the heater. When I pull just the outside air for the intake and it is -10 or colder the output heat temp drops also. It is still 50 or so in the cab but I like it at 70-80. The other change I made was to replace the rectangular black led controller with the round buttons to the square black led controller with the square buttons. The reason for this is that the display on the square one shut off after the heater shuts down. The rectangular one stayed on all the time and would drain my second battery after about 7 days if I did not use my p500. This change solved the problem.

Any more questions, just ask.

Reactions: Biteme and trigger
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't get anything by you. lol.
The first hot air outlet was black and 90mm. The outlet is 75mm so I bought some 3" ridged flex dryer vent pipe (silver) and replaced the black pipe.
The outlet vents that came with my kit are 75mm and they have 3 hidden screw from the top that hold them in. So the 60mm hose that goes to them go inside the vent and I added a cardboard spacers. I bought 60mm vents to replace them and I see they are smaller were they sit in the cup holder so I will make a plastic plate adapter. I am going to change the passenger side outlet vent to go down lower to heat the floor and my feet and use the passenger side cup holder as the return intake for the heater. When I pull just the outside air for the intake and it is -10 or colder the output heat temp drops also. It is still 50 or so in the cab but I like it at 70-80. The other change I made was to replace the rectangular black led controller with the round buttons to the square black led controller with the square buttons. The reason for this is that the display on the square one shut off after the heater shuts down. The rectangular one stayed on all the time and would drain my second battery after about 7 days if I did not use my p500. This change solved the problem.

Any more questions, just ask.

I think I would like to see pics of new upgrades, including the new controller.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May be I missed, where did you relocate or how did you avoid exhaust pipe not to interfere with coolant external reservoir???

Reactions: Biteme
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
May be I missed, where did you relocate or how did you avoid exhaust pipe not to interfere with coolant external reservoir???
I don't remember moving the coolant reservoir. I know I did move the overflow hose and make it longer to be out of the way of the exhaust. I also put on exhaust rap on the pipe. The reason I put the heater in the exact spot and angle is for the exhaust to run down in the clearest opening and worked everything else around that. I will see if I have a picture that show the coolant jug better.

Reactions: Biteme and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also bought 5 L tank on eBay, hopefully it will fit under hood space.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I also bought 5 L tank on eBay, hopefully it will fit under hood space.

If your installing the heater where you have power steering, there is not much room left over. Good luck and show some pictures of you progress.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your installing the heater where you have power steering, there is not much room left over. Good luck and show some pictures of you progress.
The owner is not sure about power steering . I might bulls*** him into it :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you use 45 or 90 degree connector on the driver's side? I'm having had time to insert / bend the aluminum black hose .

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I think its too late, I hope I think straight , :), I purchased three things 120 deg elbows , extended exhaust pipe 120 mm, extra 60 mm hose , mine kit came with 60 mm 2 pipes and 2 x 60 mm vents.
Im changing position how its mounted. I hope it will clear future elect. steering. Based on this, I also need to extend coolant aux tank hose, and relocate it back, there is a pocket behind the mount. Should have pics tomorrow night, could not cut with saw at 1 am :)

Parts

Reactions: JollyJoker
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Did you use 45 or 90 degree connector on the driver's side? I'm having had time to insert / bend the aluminum black hose .

I did not use any extra connectors. I just made the 60mm tube have a "p trap" end and fit it in. Not easy to do but it worked. I just used some pipe from a old shovel handle and some 1 inch street 45's to extend the exhaust. If I would of had some 1" copper laying around I would of used that but didn't want to buy a 3' piece just for that. You have to make the burner exhaust exit out the side otherwise it gets sucked back in to the intake for the heater and you smell it in the cab.

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, I think its too late, I hope I think straight , :), I purchased three things 120 deg elbows , extended exhaust pipe 120 mm, extra 60 mm hose , mine kit came with 60 mm 2 pipes and 2 x 60 mm vents.
Im changing position how its mounted. I hope it will clear future elect. steering. Based on this, I also need to extend coolant aux tank hose, and relocate it back, there is a pocket behind the mount. Should have pics tomorrow night, could not cut with saw at 1 am :)

View attachment 112394
Do you ever sleep? lol

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you ever sleep? lol

I do, from 1am till 7 am - M-F, midnight to 9 am - S-S

:)

Just hard to do anything during the week, since back from work by 7 pm, play with baby and finishing some work , and after the baby is asleep ~ 10:30 om, I have private time for my hobbies.

I think those 135 degree connectors will help a lot with sharp angles . I hope to finish bracket today and just leave it util other stuff arrive from china

My wife gave me a grief that I block garage with my friends sxs, so I will do the rest of upgrades some other time.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, finished support bracket. See pics they speak for themselves. Qs , ask me. From looking at mine super ATV PS it should clear and let install PS later. 34b843a3caf7abc42fd51b6fd3e90597Fe509be4fe37fde87e8d83ed074ec4ad1c9c5d67b528b954cb240d126ba86ac62230175fde32ab1b3a663ff1474d7b52F6098691f7eca0a6417067518792d82f

Reactions: JollyJoker
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered power steering this morning :). I think I will stop at this point bulls***ting him into upgrades. I think all good upgrades for comfortable ride I did .

So will see if I can sqeeze PS and Heater with small gas tank under hood. Waiting for 5L tank if not then will go for lawn mower 3L tank.

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Ordered power steering this morning :). I think I will stop at this point bulls***ting him into upgrades. I think all good upgrades for comfortable ride I did .

So will see if I can sqeeze PS and Heater with small gas tank under hood. Waiting for 5L tank if not then will go for lawn mower 3L tank.
I have to see how you fit all of that in. Is the heater a 2k or 5k size?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5 к size, 2 k is no good, thought even 8 k if weather was mostly subzero in my area.
I have 2k and it overheat fast then sensor stops it and again, I prefer 5 k does not overheat sensor that fast.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!