BOX1

Dirt Road Fabrication Bed Extender/Spare/Rotopax Carrier on a Talon R

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talk about a picture worth a thousand words. Now anyone have a picture of a low mount? Will all this fit on a 12' trailer?
Bob K

This post has the only picture I could find of the low tire mount. I hope to receive my low tire mount DRF extender next month.

Here's a post with a picture of the expanded metal bottom option.

Reactions: CID
B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
My concern is not enough tongue weight if you can't pull forward enough with our engine in the rear. You can load backwards to solve that problem and I think that's why Honda put vents in the roof -- backward towing. Do you already have the trailer?
Yes and I've been towing it front forward about centered and have towed it many miles just fine.

B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
This post has the only picture I could find of the low tire mount. I hope to receive my low tire mount DRF extender next month.

Here's a post with a picture of the expanded metal bottom option.
Thanks for the picture. Gonna to have to give this some thought. High mount works better on my trailer but blocks the rearview mirrior.
Low mount will be harder to fit on my trailer and blocks my rear camera. Also affects rear exit angle. Maybe just remove the spare when on the trailer.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Mine is in the low position and with 30's it clears some pretty aggressive stuff. Completed Moab Rim with it no issues at all and if you've every ridden that trail, you may never again with a Talon on 30's. I also modded the latch system and added rubber bumpers to mine. Love it this way. No rattles and easy for the family to open and very secure.

Talon tailgate latch

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine is in the low position and with 30's it clears some pretty aggressive stuff. Completed Moab Rim with it no issues at all and if you've every ridden that trail, you may never again with a Talon on 30's. I also modded the latch system and added rubber bumpers to mine. Love it this way. No rattles and easy for the family to open and very secure.

View attachment 254518
I love the adjustability of that latch, make it as tight as you want it. 👍

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you flip that spare you'll carry the weight of it a bit lower.
Haha, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to see that.

You are right but the way it is now I can access the cool without having to take it out of the back. I’ve have not noticed any difference with it flipped up that way.

eagleXP

eagleXP

Sep 18, 2020
Longview
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I'm a mechanic by instinct, not profession. I was a bit disappointed that the bolts used fit loosely in both the sway bar and in the trailing arm holes. The stock bolts fit really tight in the trailing arm, to the point I had to use a mallet to get them out. When a bolt fits that well, the fit itself carries the load and the nut just keeps it from working itself out. When the bolts have too much clearance, the load carrying ability depends on the tightness of the nut. Maybe it doesn't matter in this application but I was comparing it to the stock fittings and they weren't as good, IMO.

Saying all that, mine will be disconnected most of the time so it doesn't really matter.

Crawling - This is my first year with a SxS, so I don't have anything to compare with and I ride alone so have to be a bit conservative and don't have anyone to show me what I can get away with. I know it's gone up s*** that amazed me and Lil_Steve did things with his (stock) at the SxS rally in Hurricane, Utah that I'll never try. I've read :oops: that the Talon is really good at crawling beside Steve's and my experience. Disconnecting the SB definitely allows better articulation and it lessens either front lifting wildly into the air when the rear drops in a hole.

Yes, it has that low rpm stall in particular situations but I'm willing to work around that simply because the dual range, 6 speed DCT is so damn much fun to drive - the throttle is connected directly to the tires just like my dirt bikes. Yippie Kai Yay :eek: Since the Talon is my 'trainer' SxS, I'll learn to drive to its peculiarities and never be aware of where it falls short next to a belt drive. I snowmobiled for 25 years and will do whatever it takes to never own another belt driven machine.
I pulled the trigger. Mine are disconnected most of the time also. thanks

Reactions: CID and toddvdh
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My extender was deliverer Monday, I'll be installing it tomorrow night

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hoping mine gets here next week, got an appointment soon to get the ride height done after I get all that weight mounted on it.

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lo

Love the look, those 2 bars on the bottom going vertical from the frame to the tire carrier are those the extended metal option on the drf website? Also did you go with the high mount or low mound, looks like a high mound.
How much did it help with the bucking? Planning on getting a live valve model i wonder if would be a problem with the extra weight in the back.

812C9D55 D047 453C A3F6 7ADC4498077F

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many of the places I ride across the country, I find myself off camber quite often. I would think the extra tire so high might make it a wee bit top heavy. I do like the rear mount with rotopax. I’d eventually like to find a spare tire mount for the 1000 that sits off the back. Nice looking rig sir.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are there any stops or similar to prevent the gate from swinging fully open and bashing into the side?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Are there any stops or similar to prevent the gate from swinging fully open and bashing into the side?
The tailgate stops at about 95-100 degrees open, it can't swing open to hit the buggy, I'll post some pics in a bit

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Many of the places I ride across the country, I find myself off camber quite often. I would think the extra tire so high might make it a wee bit top heavy. I do like the rear mount with rotopax. I’d eventually like to find a spare tire mount for the 1000 that sits off the back. Nice looking rig sir.
I’m newish to this hobby and off cambers pucker me right the hell up!!! :oops: With the aftermarket wheels, I’m a fraction over 70” wide and hope that helps. I do NOT want to tip ‘er over. 😭 Honda says the Talon R is good to 37.3* but that’s a static number - add in the dynamics of a bumpy trail and yer guess is as good as mine.:eek:
The tailgate stops at about 95-100 degrees open, it can't swing open to hit the buggy, I'll post some pics in a bit
Lookin‘ forward to seeing your set up, 906UP. 👍 Well, there it is now, slow internet out here in the Utah desert. :cool:

Reactions: 100Acre and 906UP
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
My DRF extender arrived yesterday, I forgot to grab a pic of how it comes neatly wrapped up in a shipping blanket, using foam and rubber pieces to protect ends, then tightly shrink wrapped. Despite the careful packing, UPS still managed to damage it. :mad: The one thing I can count on is receiving damaged goods from UPS.

The spare tire mount, despite being heavily padded in foam, is where the damage occurred.

IMG 20210420 192928695 L

The force of the drop broke one side of the tack welds on the wheel stud.

IMG 20210420 193025297 L

IMG 20210420 193058921 L

There's no way I want to wait any longer to rectify this so I just got out a couple of 15" adjustable wrenches and tweaked it back the best I could.

I have a hydraulic lift table cart that made getting the bed extender into position pretty easy by myself. You can also see that I was able to get the damage mostly straightened out. I gave it the final tweaks one it was fully mounted.

IMG 20210420 194431017 L

IMG 20210420 194457375 L

The instructions call for approximately 1/16" clearance of the roll cage clamp above the factory bracket. I applied some anti-seize compound to the bolt threads. I had to remove the bolt (as suggested by DRF in his online installation instructions) from that bracket to get the back halves of the cage clamp on.

IMG 20210420 201349900 L

After some final tweaking (not twerking) I was able to mount up the spare.

IMG 20210420 225237030 L

Just to see if it would fit, I tried to install my cargo carrier. It's close but it fits.

IMG 20210420 230202235 L

I don't intend to run 2 spares often, just on multi day trips or when I think I may need it. Glad to have the option and I'm very impressed with the quality of the @Dirt-roadfab bed extender/spare tire carrier. Now I need to go get re-sprung for all the added weight!

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!