Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My DRF extender arrived yesterday, I forgot to grab a pic of how it comes neatly wrapped up in a shipping blanket, using foam and rubber pieces to protect ends, then tightly shrink wrapped. Despite the careful packing, UPS still managed to damage it. :mad: The one thing I can count on is receiving damaged goods from UPS.

The spare tire mount, despite being heavily padded in foam, is where the damage occurred.

View attachment 267629

The force of the drop broke one side of the tack welds on the wheel stud.

View attachment 267630

View attachment 267631

There's no way I want to wait any longer to rectify this so I just got out a couple of 15" adjustable wrenches and tweaked it back the best I could.

I have a hydraulic lift table cart that made getting the bed extender into position pretty easy by myself. You can also see that I was able to get the damage mostly straightened out. I gave it the final tweaks one it was fully mounted.

View attachment 267632

View attachment 267633

The instructions call for approximately 1/16" clearance of the roll cage clamp about the factory bracket. I applied some anti-seize compound to the bolt threads. I had to remove the bolt (as suggested by DRF in his online installation instructions) from that bracket to get the back halves of the cage clamp on.

View attachment 267634

After some final tweaking (not twerking) I was able to mount up the spare.

View attachment 267635

Just to see if it would fit, I tried to install my cargo carrier. It's close but it fits.

View attachment 267636

I don't intend to run 2 spares often, just on multi day trips or when I think I may need it. Glad to have the option and I'm very impressed with the quality of the @Dirt-roadfab bed extender/spare tire carrier. Now I need to go get re-sprung for all the added weight!
Mine had the same "tweak" on the spare mount but not as bad as yours, it straightened out once I mounted the spare.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What's the actual interior dimensions of the bed with this extender on?

Thx

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
What's the actual interior dimensions of the bed with this extender on?

Thx

IMG 20210425 181528289 XL

IMG 20210425 181645142 XL

IMG 20210425 181648253 XL

30x10x15 tire for reference

IMG 20210425 181927351 XL

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the super helpful dimensions.

So how is the rear visibility with the low-tire mount position?

Thanks,

S

For the first time since I've owned my Talon I can now use my rear view mirror without obstruction, it's great!

IMG 20210528 084619160 HDR XL

so what are the two plate in the bed for ?

The plates are for the Honda trunk, I removed it to take pics and measurements. It has 4 quick release buckles in the trunk that attach to the plates.

IMG 20210614 185936353 XL

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Monday I drove up to DRF to pick up my carrier/extender, as he's only about 3.5 - 4 hrs away from my home. After seeing what UPS did to other's, I figured a little bit of time and gas was worth it. Jared is a nice guy, who took some time to chat as well as go over the features & benefits with me. Last night I installed it, the fit & finish are outstanding; this is some quality powder coating. I was expecting some problems mounting it up since I have a JEI fuel can rack also mounted to the cage and expected that to have possibly moved stuff out of alignment. That, or the two years of bashing about the trails for thousands of miles.

Fortunately, this is well made, and it dropped right into place. The only (very minor) issue I had was getting the back half of the bar clamps in place between the cage & plastic. I loosened the bolt shown in his instructions, gently pried the plastic away, and love tapped them in place with a small deadblow hammer . . . easy day.

One important note, the Rotopax cans with the silly twisty locking bottoms (seen on my REI rack below) will not fit on the carrier, the twisty bottom thingy will hit the rack bottom when you try to close it. I don't think this is a DRF prob so much as it's a Rotopax dumb move to make those cans taller than all the others. The 3 gal gas can you see in front of the tire in the pic below fits fine.

DRF tire carrier

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Monday I drove up to DRF to pick up my carrier/extender, as he's only about 3.5 - 4 hrs away from my home. After seeing what UPS did to other's, I figured a little bit of time and gas was worth it. Jared is a nice guy, who took some time to chat as well as go over the features & benefits with me. Last night I installed it, the fit & finish are outstanding; this is some quality powder coating. I was expecting some problems mounting it up since I have a JEI fuel can rack also mounted to the cage and expected that to have possibly moved stuff out of alignment. That, or the two years of bashing about the trails for thousands of miles.

Fortunately, this is well made, and it dropped right into place. The only (very minor) issue I had was getting the back half of the bar clamps in place between the cage & plastic. I loosened the bolt shown in his instructions, gently pried the plastic away, and love tapped them in place with a small deadblow hammer . . . easy day.

One important note, the Rotopax cans with the silly twisty locking bottoms (seen on my REI rack below) will not fit on the carrier, the twisty bottom thingy will hit the rack bottom when you try to close it. I don't think this is a DRF prob so much as it's a Rotopax dumb move to make those cans taller than all the others. The 3 gal gas can you see in front of the tire in the pic below fits fine.

View attachment 287385
Thanks again Mark. RotopaX did make changes to the Gen 2 two gallon can which allows it to fit as well as the three gallon.

Reactions: CID
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good to know on the Gen 2 Rotopax, as I want to put a 2 gal water jug on there. I asked Rotopax support, I just hadn't heard back yet.

Went on a shakedown cruise last night, the DRF tire carrier performed perfectly. I did notice the extra weight while slinging the rear around turns, but no rattles, no movement or shifting about, and the latch pin is holding it closed just fine.

Reactions: Josh97stang
W

Wn2bp1

Jul 17, 2020
Gilbert, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
For those of you that have had this carrier for a bit, how's it holding up? Any rattles, bending, breaking apart? How's the latch system holding up? I noticed that one of you changed it to a different style, what's the reason? I had a similar version and after a year of use it tore itself apart, to the point where I can't have it on my Talon any longer. I really like the look and function of this style, but need one that can handle fast bumpy roads and not come apart. Let me know what you really think of these because Im in the need for a new one.

Thanks!

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
For those of you that have had this carrier for a bit, how's it holding up? Any rattles, bending, breaking apart? How's the latch system holding up? I noticed that one of you changed it to a different style, what's the reason? I had a similar version and after a year of use it tore itself apart, to the point where I can't have it on my Talon any longer. I really like the look and function of this style, but need one that can handle fast bumpy roads and not come apart. Let me know what you really think of these because Im in the need for a new one.

Thanks!

Hi from a fellow Gilbert resident!

I've only had my DRF bed extender for 5 months, maybe 1500 miles and have had no issues with my bed extender to speak of. It's high quality and done right in my opinion. For reference, my type of riding has resulted in a break and 3 cracks on the sway bar supports of the rear frame but my DRF tailgate opens/closes as good as the first day I installed it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Thanks!
I've had mine mounted for almost a year and it's still as sound as when I installed it, maybe too sound. Latching it takes a LOT of effort including a ratchet strap but this means it doesn't rattle at all and I can't stand rattles. I'm able to get into the storage box without opening the tailgate, so I don't open it. @TMCCOY 's latch looks like the perfect, adjustable latch and if I needed to open mine, I'd make that modification. Maybe he'll post a link to where he got it with a part number, I have no idea where to look for one.

Sometimes I drive like #oleguy but sometimes I drive like my hair's on fire. When I was in Arizona, I tried my best to emulate Robby Gordon :cool: to the point of sacking out my rear springs (uppers). :oops: The DRF extender is still tight.

This was my rear ground clearance after that trip, 10" should be 14" (with my 30" tires). :eek: I've since installed Weller Racing springs and am back up to 14"

Reactions: Lil_Steve
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Zero issues with the rack in general or the latch in particular, while toting a 30" spare and up to 3 gal gas. I usually have to open it whenever I want to access my Milwaukee Packout junk, or the fuel & water cans mounted above the bed. The powder coating is surviving the frequent rapid mud applications nicely, as well as the high pressure removal process. The hinge is still tight, too. No complaints, glad I have it.

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Still like the day I got it. It’s not cheap but well worth it. Still one of the best mods to date!

01BDABE7 E3DE 4B2A 8733 4417567ED60A

• Love
Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got around to installing mine last night.
Looks well made overall just got to figure out a few things.

Any tips or tricks to get it aligned so the pins hits properly. It about takes all my weight to push it down to latch it.
It seems to be related to ROPS variations but I cant seem to get it corrected.
Also the handle unscrewed while turning it to get the pin to come out.

I haven't reached out to them yet. I plan to this weekend for suggestions. Dbdaf4f6f119317aea54b4169603fd5eCe145c6d7844af4b88d06a18c9e222968767c484836148f9c36872b4a1463035745956541932eaf4b02f614293564734F4aad25960d1a8413051da7ec0823feb

Last edited:
Frogtown

Frogtown

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
Finally got around to installing mine last night.
Looks well made overall just got to figure out a few things.

Any tips or tricks to get it aligned so the pins hits properly. It about takes all my weight to push it down to latch it.
It seems to be related to ROPS variations but I cant seem to get it corrected.
Also the handle unscrewed while turning it to get the pin to come out.

I haven't reached out to them yet. I plan to this weekend for suggestions. View attachment 344120View attachment 344121View attachment 344122View attachment 344123View attachment 344124

Mine was aligned correctly with the spare tire was mounted on it but when I remove the tire it is safe as you described. I have same plans for mine when I ever get some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mine is fine with or without the spare. My only suggestion would be to loosen the clamps to the roll bar, then close the gate and tighten the clamps back & forth, I'm guessing you just have some twist in it from mounting

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is fine with or without the spare. My only suggestion would be to loosen the clamps to the roll bar, then close the gate and tighten the clamps back & forth, I'm guessing you just have some twist in it from mounting
Ya, I'm on my 7 attempt finessing it.
I may end up altering the latch catch.

Reactions: JenElio and 906UP
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!