Disappointed

J

jhogg

May 23, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought our first Honda Pioneer (1000-5 Deluxe) and took it out for our first drive and it over heated, stalled, and the coolant light and oil light came on. Then all the coolant poured out on the drive way. We have had it 3 days and rode it for a total of 10 miles. :mad::mad:

We had big plans to use it this weekend and instead we had to take it back to the dealership. We paid way too much money for this to be our first experience. Anyone have a similar experience?? What ended up being the issue?

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, the 1000-5 Deluxe model.
It's got air trapped in the coolant system, I heard of elevating the front with the radiator cap off and there is a air bleeder some where, you could Google it and maybe save your week end, if you haven't taken it back to the dealer yet? And yes we have heard of many over heating with new machines. Good luck, it's very fixable.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought our first Honda Pioneer (1000-5 Deluxe) and took it out for our first drive and it over heated, stalled, and the coolant light and oil light came on. Then all the coolant poured out on the drive way. We have had it 3 days and rode it for a total of 10 miles. :mad::mad:
We had big plans to use it this weekend and instead we had to take it back to the dealership. We paid way too much money for this to be our first experience. Anyone have a similar experience?? What ended up being the issue?
Yep, air trapped in the coolant system. It’s not that common but can happen to anything with a radiator and water pump.

J

jhogg

May 23, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's got air trapped in the coolant system, I heard of elevating the front with the radiator cap off and there is a air bleeder some where, you could Google it and maybe save your week end, if you haven't taken it back to the dealer yet? And yes we have heard of many over heating with new machines. Good luck, it's very fixable.
Thanks, we already took it back to the dealer.

J

jhogg

May 23, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yep, air trapped in the coolant system. It’s not that common but can happen to anything with a radiator and water pump.
Would that cause issues with the clutch too? The clutch was slipping and it’s light came on before it over heated.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, that was not suggested to us. When we get it back, will that help it run smoother? OW Lord yesI, the Dealer should have told you. Mine will slip at 1 bar. Dealerships! I warm mine up to 2 bars before I put it in gear. While yours is at the shop, be a good time to your owners manual. I'm as guilty of reading manual second as anybody.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would that cause issues with the clutch too? The clutch was slipping and it’s light came on before it over heated.
I can’t say but if it’s getting hot it will impact the clutch eventually. Oil level would be more of a culprit in my opinion.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I will go ahead and say it. The Honda made today in USA don't seem to be built with the same quality control as they did years ago. Of all the Honda bikes and ATVs I have owned, I NEVER had any type of problem with ANY of them when they were new, and seldom heard of anyone complaining of new Hondas. Ain't the case anymore.

Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well, I will go ahead and say it. The Honda made today in USA don't seem to be built with the same quality control as they did years ago. Of all the Honda bikes and ATVs I have owned, I NEVER had any type of problem with ANY of them when they were new, and seldom heard of anyone complaining of new Hondas. Ain't the case anymore.
I agree, also now the dealer plays a big part on whether your experience is going to be good or not. My dealer has been excellent and the talon has been also.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree to a point but also there was no social media back then for people to post their problems. 🤷‍♂️

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sadly, this.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
There trying to catch polaris in the reliability category...... not good.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
To your point, 95% of the stuff slipping by from factory should be caught by dealer prep. Specifically air in coolant system, low oil levels, cable adjustments, loose or missing bolts, etc. A good once-over by an experienced set up guy could absolutely prevent these bad customer experiences. Completely avoidable, but this is what happens when using oil change monkeys and not mechanics to go over new machines.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!