Disappointed

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
To your point, 95% of the stuff slipping by from factory should be caught by dealer prep. Specifically air in coolant system, low oil levels, cable adjustments, loose or missing bolts, etc. A good once-over by an experienced set up guy could absolutely prevent these bad customer experiences. Completely avoidable, but this is what happens when using oil change monkeys and not mechanics to go over new machines.
When I bought my 20 model p500 I brought it home and unloaded off a flat bed ton truck and when I backed off the truck and up the bank the 4wd wouldn’t engage. It was no big deal cause I adjusted the cable in no time At all. It’s the little things like this that’s slipping through the cracks with Honda but I sure do like the little p500. My issue should have been caught by the dealer but it wasn’t.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To your point, 95% of the stuff slipping by from factory should be caught by dealer prep. Specifically air in coolant system, low oil levels, cable adjustments, loose or missing bolts, etc. A good once-over by an experienced set up guy could absolutely prevent these bad customer experiences. Completely avoidable, but this is what happens when using oil change monkeys and not mechanics to go over new machines.
I will make the assumption Honda is similar to GM when it comes to a PDI. The main problem is that the manufacturer generally doesn't pay enough to truly check over a vehicle. GM might pay 1 hour for a pre delivery inspection and within that time frame they want you to remove all the protective plastic, charge the battery, install a license plate bracket, test drive the vehicle, lift vehicle and check for leaks, and test every single thing. There is a list about 30 lines long to check. Manufacturers make it difficult to keep your head above water with their pay/warranty work. The most fun part is spending 10 minutes walking the parking lot trying to figure out where it's parked, then spend 10 minutes in parts checking for LPOs

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
First post and reporting a major failure of a Honda product. A sad story but it's certainly not a common story.

Any photos? What city? What's the dealer name?

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
It definitely should be caught by the dealers. we pay “freight and setup” so they need to do what they’re supposed to do for that money.

J

jhogg

May 23, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First post and reporting a major failure of a Honda product. A sad story but it's certainly not a common story.

Any photos? What city? What's the dealer name?
Dealer was Holzhauer out of Nashville, IL. I attached the only photo I took. I took a video, but the website doesn’t let me upload it.

5903E45A E5BA 435B 896F 14324466C1ED

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also just remembered after seeing jhogg's post that the friend of mine who purchased his from Dick's had the coolant hose come off under the driver seat on his first ride within half an hour after he brought it home. When he took it back to the dealer they tightened the clamp and topped the coolant off for free. They apologized and said it was common the clamps were loose and the mechanic must have missed it during PDI. I checked my own after that incident and found none loose on mine.

J

jhogg

May 23, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I apologize for wondering if you might be a troll.
No problem! We bought the pioneer because it had such a good reputation, and we hope this is a one time deal, it was just so disappointing because we had spent so much money and had so many plans to use it. The Honda rep is looking at it tomorrow and I hope the fix is as easy as a clamp! That would make me feel a lot better!

advertisement
L

lenzen

Feb 21, 2021
chase B.C. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will make the assumption Honda is similar to GM when it comes to a PDI. The main problem is that the manufacturer generally doesn't pay enough to truly check over a vehicle. GM might pay 1 hour for a pre delivery inspection and within that time frame they want you to remove all the protective plastic, charge the battery, install a license plate bracket, test drive the vehicle, lift vehicle and check for leaks, and test every single thing. There is a list about 30 lines long to check. Manufacturers make it difficult to keep your head above water with their pay/warranty work. The most fun part is spending 10 minutes walking the parking lot trying to figure out where it's parked, then spend 10 minutes in parts checking for LPOs
I don't think that should be an excuse, I paid $1500.00 for PDI in Canada and that was a deal . Some are asking up to $2500.00. They could spend 2 days on it and still be making out O.K. My over heating happened 6 Kms into my first ride. It was the wire that plugs into the relay under the seat for the fan . The plug was in backwards so it was not plugged in properly.

A

amwatson15

May 28, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you go through any mud? This sounds eerily similar to what is happening to mine. I have a 2020 1000-5 base model but 2 out of the 3 times we’ve taken ours out, it’s overheated. We’ve taken it to the dealership twice and the best advice I get is to keep the radiator clean. I’m not doubting this is my issue but it doesn’t seem like it should happen this easily. To add, we also bought ours from Holzhauer! Ours was looked at by the Honda rep last week and they can’t give us any explanation other than to keep our radiator clean

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer and rtn001
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I a

I strongly agree with this.

The problem for dealers is a genuine mechanic is a very rare commodity, almost impossible to find now. Most dealerships now use "techs" who are iPhone commandos. Many of them barely understand the machine they are expected to work on. They rely on computer diagnostic programs to diagnose any problem. In fairness to the real mechanics of today, dealers don't want to pay them what they are worth.

I am admittedly older than dirt but when I was young mechanics could diagnose engine problems within seconds of hearing it run and could identify just about any problem by driving the car/truck/motorcycle/boat a block or less. Those men are retired now or dead.

The manufacturer assigns a long list of things they expect dealerships to check and few dealers actually do it. But how long would it take for a mechanic to identify an overheating issue or misadjusted shifter cables that allow gear grinding?

B

BeOffGrid

Apr 9, 2020
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought our first Honda Pioneer (1000-5 Deluxe) and took it out for our first drive and it over heated, stalled, and the coolant light and oil light came on. Then all the coolant poured out on the drive way. We have had it 3 days and rode it for a total of 10 miles. :mad::mad:

We had big plans to use it this weekend and instead we had to take it back to the dealership. We paid way too much money for this to be our first experience. Anyone have a similar experience?? What ended up being the issue?
My 2019 1000-5 deluxe overheated on my first ride. I had the shop flash the ECU with new firmware that I think changes the fan control and when gears shifted in low gear. I also drained and refilled the coolant. It wasn’t possible to draw a vacuum to fill the coolant so I just followed the manual to bleed air with the bolt/plug under the seat. I’ve seen people post bleeding air on an incline with the reservoir cap open but that seems like a joke to me.

I sold my machine with 100 hours on it. The sub transmission low/reverse gear grinder out on me twice. I had to fight hard to get it covered under warranty both times and figured they wouldn’t fix it a third time. Buy the 4 year warranty package. It’s transferable if you decide to sell at some point.

Sted1201

Sted1201

Jan 4, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There trying to catch polaris in the reliability category...... not good.
I’ve owned 3 Polaris Rangers and will never consider one again, 700 and two 900. One was stolen, one burnt up, and the other I sold. The belts snapped in all three regularly and would cause all kinds of damage. Now own two Honda’s pioneers, 700 and 1000-5 They are the best UTVs I own. BTW they are used every day on a large farm

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think that should be an excuse, I paid $1500.00 for PDI in Canada and that was a deal . Some are asking up to $2500.00. They could spend 2 days on it and still be making out O.K. My over heating happened 6 Kms into my first ride. It was the wire that plugs into the relay under the seat for the fan . The plug was in backwards so it was not plugged in properly.
What you pay has no merit on what the technician is paid. The manufacturer is to blame for the terrible technician pay. Most manufacturers do not pay for enough time for a technician to properly look over a unit.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I a

I strongly agree with this.

The problem for dealers is a genuine mechanic is a very rare commodity, almost impossible to find now. Most dealerships now use "techs" who are iPhone commandos. Many of them barely understand the machine they are expected to work on. They rely on computer diagnostic programs to diagnose any problem. In fairness to the real mechanics of today, dealers don't want to pay them what they are worth.

I am admittedly older than dirt but when I was young mechanics could diagnose engine problems within seconds of hearing it run and could identify just about any problem by driving the car/truck/motorcycle/boat a block or less. Those men are retired now or dead.

The manufacturer assigns a long list of things they expect dealerships to check and few dealers actually do it. But how long would it take for a mechanic to identify an overheating issue or misadjusted shifter cables that allow gear grinding?
Most techs in dealers are people that went to technical school that had no mechanical ability to begin with, its horrible. I've worked with guys that could chase wiring problems down within seconds but couldn't tell the difference between burning antifreeze and burning oil. Sadly There are very few of us left. if I hadn't got the job that I got I would of left the field along time ago nobody wants to pay anything very few places have a natural mechanic.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!