Disappointed

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've expressed the standard, age-old labor point of view. Sorry, I disagree with your post. The long-standing arrangement between manufacturers and dealers for all mass-produced products is and has always been the dealership is paid and expected to find and correct minor issues during PDI's.

In a mass-production assembly line manufacturing environment there is no room or time for test drives and other pre-delivery inspections.
I agree there is no time during physical assembly for tests. Dealerships have no control over what the brand pays. Where I work nine times out of ten it's my dealership who pays me for my time, not GM. It shouldn't be that way. There are alot of other places and brands who can't afford to help their employees. It shouldn't be that way. All I am saying is any warranty or PDI work should pay fairly and nine times out of ten it does not .

Reactions: Fischer
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda always paid the posted shop labor rate for warranty work. The problem is too many dealers can't find good mechanics.
I am not sure how Honda pays their techs. I speak from experience from the automotive world. I hear stories daily about how warranty work underpays and being under paid is what keeps good mechanics away.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am not sure how Honda pays their techs. I speak from experience from the automotive world. I hear stories daily about how warranty work underpays and being under paid is what keeps good mechanics away.
With Honda, the dealer is paid their posted rate, the tech's are paid by the dealer.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
So if we all agree that the apparent lack of proper quality control at the Honda Powersports manufacturing plant in SC is the responsibility of the manufacturer how does that solve the problem?

Fire the sh*tty employees who are there for just a paycheck or fire the guy in charge of them. It's really that easy, up until political correctness gets in the way.

I'll add that every company these days is competing with china one way or another. It almost killed Briggs and Stratton when they tried to reduce themselves down to Predator type/style engines.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fire the sh*tty employees who are there for just a paycheck or fire the guy in charge of them. It's really that easy, up until political correctness gets in the way.

I'll add that every company these days is competing with china one way or another. It almost killed Briggs and Stratton when they tried to reduce themselves down to Predator type/style engines.
And then who will they hire? Kinda bad to say but not much to choose from as far as hiring someone in that area. Same goes for the town I live in. I hear the manufactiring plants where I live quit making people get drug tested because they couldn't find anyone to work. And this was going on before the virus.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
With Honda, the dealer is paid their posted rate, the tech's are paid by the dealer.
To me, this statement says it all. This is a fundamental concept and there's nothing more to know about it.

Dealers, hire, train, supervise, and pay techs for the work they do. Whether the manufacturer pays nothing at all or not enough is irrelevant to consumers. If dealers don't care enough to pay their techs to do all work including warranty work buyers should and often do go somewhere else. Likewise, if dealers don't pay techs adequately for their work they should find another dealer to work for.

The excuses about lack of qc at manufacturing plants and not paying dealers enough for warranty work is just a failure to take responsibility and a man taking pride in his work. It's called passing the buck or shirking one's duty.

Customer satisfaction is the responsibility of and should be the goal of dealers.

Reactions: Jerryg and Farmer
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
To me, this statement says it all. This is a fundamental concept and there's nothing more to know about it.

Dealers, hire, train, supervise, and pay techs for the work they do. Whether the manufacturer pays nothing at all or not enough is irrelevant to consumers. If dealers don't care enough to pay their techs to do all work including warranty work buyers should and often do go somewhere else. Likewise, if dealers don't pay techs adequately for their work they should find another dealer to work for.

The excuses about lack of qc at manufacturing plants and not paying dealers enough for warranty work is just a failure to take responsibility and a man taking pride in his work. It's called passing the buck or shirking one's duty.

Customer satisfaction is the responsibility of and should be the goal of dealers.
It should be the goal of every single person! From engineers and draftsmen all the way to the salesman. It's simply and unfortunately an example of society.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

From my experience, it's the owners of the dealerships that want to spend the day on their boat and hire the cheapest employees to run their operation.

I have seen it hundreds of times, the only dealers that were any good were the ones where the owner was there every day making sure customers were being treated well, and people were doing their jobs.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guys.... with 330 million Americans there's always people willing to buy anything. If I was wrong here Polaris would have been out of business years ago. People these days shop with their wallets 1st and care less about quality. Every single corporation knows this. It's why China owns us now.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Guys.... with 330 million Americans there's always people willing to buy anything. If I was wrong here Polaris would have been out of business years ago. People these days shop with their wallets 1st and care less about quality. Every single corporation knows this. It's why China owns us now.
Absolutely, Honda figured this out years ago with their 21" lawn mowers. 30 years ago they sold for almost $700 but it would last almost forever if you owned a normal size house in the burbs. But Honda soon after realized, the American market would be even happier spending half as much for a mower that lasted half as long.

That being said, when the customer understood the difference between the $700 Honda and the $350 Snapper, 9 out of 10 times they bought the Honda. When people understood that the Honda had a shaft driven trans, and actual bearings in the wheels, and rubber coated cables etc... they would spend the extra money.

But since Honda wanted to sell through the Home Depot, they new that the guy selling the mower knows more bout 2x4's. The mower had to be about the same price as the Snapper. The American market is unique.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!