Never have I been so disappointed in a product.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
This is the Hondamatic in my Rancher. It is hydraulic drive and shifting via buttons on the left handle bar or switch it to auto and it shifts itself. This was sent to me by a fellow member of the club in hopes of educating me on the differences of a Rancher transmission and a Pioneer 500 transmission.
View attachment 310344
I had a rancher 400at. It was sort of neat hondamatic transmission till I got smoked by a rancher 350 foot shift. I put 13,000 miles on it no problems. Sold it to a kid who made it to 17,000 miles even while running it out of oil a couple times.

R

Rincon1

Jun 10, 2021
US
I had a rancher 400at. It was sort of neat hondamatic transmission till I got smoked by a rancher 350 foot shift. I put 13,000 miles on it no problems. Sold it to a kid who made it to 17,000 miles even while running it out of oil a couple times.
I have 16, 000 miles on my 05 with no problems except the temp oil sensor lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is the Hondamatic in my Rancher. It is hydraulic drive and shifting via buttons on the left handle bar or switch it to auto and it shifts itself. This was sent to me by a fellow member of the club in hopes of educating me on the differences of a Rancher transmission and a Pioneer 500 transmission.
View attachment 310344
Yes...the "AT" I mentioned earlier. A hydraulic cvt type of transmission that debuted on the 1st Rubicon, and a different set up than either the DCT or the electromechanical shifting of most of the older ESP ranchers/foreman or the 500 pioneer.

I had a 1st year Rubicon. That transmission was soooo smooth...and I wish they had developed it further, but they seemed to walk away from it. Rincon came out (yet another "automatic" Honda) and everyone that expected the fancy whiz-bang tranny from the rubi to be on it was surprised. Honda claimed that the hydro cvt was more effecient on smaller displacement engines, and that...get this...people complained because it was "too smooth". Yes, really. So we got the 3 speed automotive type that lives on in the decrepit Rincon AND the pioneer 700.

Honda had their dicks stuck deep in that thing, then one day walked away and refused to even return its call. Maybe the fact that it was expensive to repair, as you had to replace the WHOLE unit if something goes wrong, at a cost of $1000 just for the transmission unit, last I saw (though some people were rebuilding them on CL and such). Maybe it was just deemed too expensive. It's definitely NOT a unit you want to neglect with oil changes or get mud in. Maybe it wasn't providing the durability Honda had hoped?

Don't know for sure, but they went another path. I will always wonder what might have been with that tranny.

Last edited:
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 310344
Thanks. Now I understand the confusion on my part. I have not kept up with the (transmission) changes in the newer Ranchers. My Rancher has never had any problems. If the newer Ranchers are as reliable, I would not hesitate to get another one, if mine ever croaks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks. Now I understand the confusion on my part. I have not kept up with the (transmission) changes in the newer Ranchers. My Rancher has never had any problems. If the newer Ranchers are as reliable, I would not hesitate to get another one, if mine ever croaks.
Guess you’re still not getting my phone alerts. Better get that phone away from the microwave 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: SILVER_ALERT

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!