Never have I been so disappointed in a product.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I purchased a brand new 2021 Honda pioneer 1000-5 deluxe back in June of 2021. I have to say I have never been so disappointed with a purchase as I have with this one. I can't understand why there is such a demand for these side by sides. I can't believe Honda keeps putting out such a low quality product. If you read through the Honda side-by-side forum you will see many post about The doors and lift bed rattling. Many many post about the heat issue coming off these units. I only have about 400 mi on mine and today I noticed the fuel gauge is stuck on full. So now I plan on filling it up every 100 miles, and always carry a 5 gallon gas can with me wherever I go.
I bet you're one of those people who would complain if we hung you with a BRAND NEW rope, huh?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I never drove a Honda SXS, but my honda Rancher has the electronic shift with the buttons. I assume it's similar to what they use on the P5. I can tell you I like them both for different reasons.
The 500 pioneer? It is...assuming you don't have one of the older AT models. Electric motor moving the same shift mechanism that your foot would in certain manual shift models. Replace the buttons with paddles.

R

Rincon1

Jun 10, 2021
US
The only mistake I made on mine was I should'a keep my rincon also I just didn't have any room to store it.... Side by Sides are new to me and I've yet to get in a situation that I need to jump like I had to a few times with the Rincon. "learning curve"
I still have my Rincon LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

advertisement
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my 2018 pioneer 1000 is my first Sxs and to me the rattles and heat other stuff I see people complain about never bothered me to much but I came from a 1998 foreman 400 and a 2006 rubicon so the pioneer was an amazing improvement from what I did have. The gas gauge problem would drive me insane I would never fill it up every 100 miles and bring a jug of gas with me. I would get the sh#t fixed what ever it takes.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fifth element gary oldman

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
The 500 pioneer? It is...assuming you don't have one of the older AT models. Electric motor moving the same shift mechanism that your foot would in certain manual shift models. Replace the buttons with paddles.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have a 07 Rancher ES and a 2016 P5. So it is "thumb" VS "2 hands" is the only difference. I guess I've been standing too close the microwave again. 😁

R

Rincon1

Jun 10, 2021
US
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have a 07 Rancher ES and a 2016 P5. So it is "thumb" VS "2 hands" is the only difference. I guess I've been standing too close the microwave again.
Isn't the ES electric shift and a DCT is dual clutch transmission?

Reactions: Biteme
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Edited based on potential 2nd interpretation (and on closer inspection I conflated two of the commenters, sorry @Rincon1 ).

The discussion point (I thought) was the p500/p520 vs ES ATV.
Since the p5s are using the engine/transmission out of the ES ATVs they are the same, an electric motor moves the shift mechanism.
The only real diffrence point is the AT mode on the p5 where a little computer pushes the buttons for you (and it down shifts early so you don't get stuck between gears and have to rock the SxS which is hard to do with a seatbelt on).

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

It depends on what @Jerryg meant by "P5". I've seen people refer to the 1000-5 as a P5 before, and yes, the 1000 is a DCT and a much different setup. The 500 just uses the same setup that first appeared on Honda ATVs back in the late 90's (if memory serves) as ESP.

But...I think there are newer Ranchers that do have the dct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rincon1 and Biteme
S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Other than the obvious thumb button shift, and paddle shift, how are they not similar? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

This is the Hondamatic in my Rancher. It is hydraulic drive and shifting via buttons on the left handle bar or switch it to auto and it shifts itself. This was sent to me by a fellow member of the club in hopes of educating me on the differences of a Rancher transmission and a Pioneer 500 transmission.
4gounpm jpg

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!