russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Staying with "round" is going to cut way down on your choices. There was once a reason for round, as with a single light source lamp, as in an incandescent light of yesteryear, a round reflector was more efficient. With multiple LEDs, using multiple small reflectors, a rectangular or square shape makes more sense and takes the lead in terms of use of space efficiency.

This is for sure not wanting for light brightness. The roof bar and side pods are by Nilight and cost well under $200 combined.
View attachment 352754

Where did you get the bar and mounts? Have a link?

Reactions: crewcabrob
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I run the Diode Dynamics Pro series lights for my headlights in the Talon. They are on par with the Baja Pro's. I run their driving light as the low beams and the combo spot/flood for high beams. I have the amber lens covers installed on the low beams since it has been dusty the last few trips to the local park.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you get the bar and mounts? Have a link?

The 54" bar from Amazon: Nilight LED

The mounting brackets I made, as I couldn't find anything on-line that was exactly what I had in mind, (not obstructing windshield, up high but below roof line, and a "clean" install). Someone asked if I would make them available, but they were "one-off", no jigs etc. and I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to it (old and heart issues). I cut cardboard patterns and bent those to fit, then did the same from sheet metal (bottom from old computer . . . never throw stuff away!). Brackets mounted to roll bar gusset with rivet nuts. Bracket bends and angles need to be "just so" to clear roof line and end up with correct width and parallel to each other. Perhaps a more expedient way would be to cut a second pattern, after cardboard, from aluminum roof flashing . . . that would better hold the angles and allow the base of the bracket to be C-clamped in place and the rest bent into shape with finger pressure as needed. Follow that with duplicating in heavier sheet metal.

20210804 223634

20210804 222122

20210806 122901

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a cheap 30" light bar but I think I'm going to mount it on my tractor cab. Every now and then I have to feed in the dark in winter. I looked at mounting it on the SXS but don't like any of the mount points. I can't block any more radiator air flow, I don't want to mount it on or in front of the roof because of tree limbs and don't want to mount it right below the windshield because the glare off the hood. I have a perfect spot on my front bumper for the spot/combos that will protect them some and pillar mounts for the flood lights because they mostly be pointing to the side for what I use them for. Here's some pictures of my rig so you can get and idea of what I'm talking about.View attachment 352763View attachment 352764
This is my setup. It works great for us. I think Stevie Wonder could drive tight wooded trails at midnight without a problem. It came from www.superbrightleds.com. They also have round pods that have 4 leds on one side of each one. I have them on the back of the bunk on my semi and they light up a ton of area. Here's the link LED Light Pods - 4.5” Round Work Lights - 32W - 4,300 Lumens - 2 Pack
The bar on the Honda has been on there for over 2 years and the side shooters have been on the semi for 3 years.

20220612 155255 20220612 155234

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 54" bar from Amazon: Nilight LED

The mounting brackets I made, as I couldn't find anything on-line that was exactly what I had in mind, (not obstructing windshield, up high but below roof line, and a "clean" install). Someone asked if I would make them available, but they were "one-off", no jigs etc. and I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to it (old and heart issues). I cut cardboard patterns and bent those to fit, then did the same from sheet metal (bottom from old computer . . . never throw stuff away!). Brackets mounted to roll bar gusset with rivet nuts. Bracket bends and angles need to be "just so" to clear roof line and end up with correct width and parallel to each other. Perhaps a more expedient way would be to cut a second pattern, after cardboard, from aluminum roof flashing . . . that would better hold the angles and allow the base of the bracket to be C-clamped in place and the rest bent into shape with finger pressure as needed. Follow that with duplicating in heavier sheet metal.

View attachment 352876

View attachment 352877

View attachment 352878

Very nice! Looks factory!

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I run the Diode Dynamics Pro series lights for my headlights in the Talon. They are on par with the Baja Pro's. I run their driving light as the low beams and the combo spot/flood for high beams. I have the amber lens covers installed on the low beams since it has been dusty the last few trips to the local park.

View attachment 352871

Wow! That's really sharp! Did you fab those or do they offer them as a direct fit?

Reactions: Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Wow! That's really sharp! Did you fab those or do they offer them as a direct fit?
Baja Designs sells a kit for the Talon for $749 that comes with the squadron sport lights and brackets... I found an eBay seller that has just the brackets for $50, so I bought them and ran some cheap eBay pods to make sure I liked it before dropping the coin on the high dollar Diode Dynamics or Bajas.

Talon pod light brackets

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Baja Designs sells a kit for the Talon for $749 that comes with the squadron sport lights and brackets... I found an eBay seller that has just the brackets for $50, so I bought them and ran some cheap eBay pods to make sure I liked it before dropping the coin on the high dollar Diode Dynamics or Bajas.

Talon pod light brackets
Adam,
Do you think these will fit the Pioneer? I know the Talon/Pioneer are the same headlight part numbers.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Adam,
Do you think these will fit the Pioneer? I know the Talon/Pioneer are the same headlight part numbers.
Not without modification. The mounting points on the Talon are pretty different because of the shape of the front end.

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Adam,
This sounds like a challenge!
Kind of like building a half windsheild in the campground at RRB!🤣

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 352871
I like. That's a badass looking ride.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check out this video. One of the best I've seen comparing Baja Designs to a cheap light bar. I do have to say after watching the video that BD does put out a better around throw of light and the color doesn't reflect off snow and trees as bad. In my opinion, and everyone on here has one, the BD lights are the winner. The BD is expensive but most SXS don't need a light bar this size for woods riding. Some spot pods and corning or floods on the machine will put out all the light you need in a tight area. I definitely like to color on the BD better. It's much easier on your eyes.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Check out this video. One of the best I've seen comparing Baja Designs to a cheap light bar. I do have to say after watching the video that BD does put out a better around throw of light and the color doesn't reflect off snow and trees as bad. In my opinion, and everyone on here has one, the BD lights are the winner. The BD is expensive but most SXS don't need a light bar this size for woods riding. Some spot pods and corning or floods on the machine will put out all the light you need in a tight area. I definitely like to color on the BD better. It's much easier on your eyes.
Here is my unbiased opinion on all of them…
The Diode Dynamics and Baja pro lights are unrivaled at the pro price point. The sport lights are not any better than the higher end lights you find on eBay. My diode dynamics lights are awesome

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have learned the expensive way, the higher end lights( BD, DD RC ) are of higher quality and better control of the light they produce. IMO most people here dont use there machines like @Adam490 and others here. We ride a lot at night and at a pretty brisk pace in moderate to rough terrain. I personally like and need the light to be in a specific area while riding.
The China LED's have there place and are plenty adequate in most situations.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run a 42 inch nilight bar on front ( will light up farther than I can see ) i run 6 inch nilight bar on each side right behind center roll bar ( for if get tipsey and step out and roll down the hill my friends can find me) and 2 nilight 4 in pods on the rear nilights are very well constructed and great price there wiring harness and relays are nice also and hold up well have one on my 4 wheeler for abut 6 years

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I my dad use to tell me a I had champagne taste on a beer budget. I can't help it. I can look a stuff for sale, and it could be furniture, cars, etc. and I can pick the priciest one out there. I just like quality stuff, I can't help it. And I hate to support China One any more than I have too. I look at the DD but I like the BD because of the color and you know this company has done their homework. Their products are on some the biggest racing rigs in the industry. Hell, if money wasn't and option, I'd buy some of there laser lights. I mean, why not, who would want the option to see that far at night.
I bought Bulldog lights for the machine I use to own. They where made in the USA, everything. Had them for years a they worked great. Bought a cheap light for backup and had water in the lense in about a year and this rig mostly set under cover. I know the price of the lights are high but I don't won't to mount another set of lights, ever, on this machine. I like buying the stuff and getting it on but I'm not into working on something all the time. I've enough stuff that I have to be working on. Lights is something that I want to buy and never ?uck again. I'll just have to save up a little more, too many irons in the fire right now.
But, but, but. The Sylvania lights I mentioned above, I would like to try one. They're a big name company and they use to make pretty good stuff. I'm willing to try one as a backup light or for some floods. They're cheap.

Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
What radio system are you using to talk back and forth? Sounds good!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!