P500 Display and Shift Dead

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
My pioneer shut off tonight while driving, the display is blank and the shifters wont work. The lights and the starter still work but it wont start.

It has been dying while driving but then it will start back up after a couple of try's. But this time the display didn't come back on.

I'm going to try to take the battery cables off and reset the ecu, but I have a feeling it's dead.

Any thoughts? Its going back to the dealer tomorrow.

FYI the manual shifter tool is a PIA a 8mm socket and ratchet works alot better.

Reactions: 500oneer
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
My pioneer shut off tonight while driving, the display is blank and the shifters wont work. The lights and the starter still work but it wont start.

It has been dying while driving but then it will start back up after a couple of try's. But this time the display didn't come back on.

I'm going to try to take the battery cables off and reset the ecu, but I have a feeling it's dead.

Any thoughts? Its going back to the dealer tomorrow.

FYI the manual shifter tool is a PIA a 8mm socket and ratchet works alot better.
Sounds like a bad ground or loose connection somewhere. Those intermittent problems can be a real pita.

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Well after 2 weeks in the shop trouble shooting Honda finally decided to replace my wiring harness on my pioneer. Hopefully this will fix my problem after my machine being down for 5+ weeks.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
sucks to hear about all the problems you've had with it. I wonder if there is a chance they might have messed something up when they did your head gasket. Of course, they'd never tell you if they did. Best of luck to you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't trust those dealership mechanics.

Reactions: Sledge and Hondasxs
Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Yea, hopefully it will be good after this. It's hard to say what's caused this problem. It's been doing this since before the head gasket minus the completely dying part.

Honda customer service was jerking me around on this one, my dealer told me 2 weeks ago the wiring harness needs replaced. But Honda continued to tell my dealer to trouble shoot. Then it took 3 days to get ahold of the case manager at Honda...

If you ask me these machines have a ecu/wiring problem somewhere. They just do weird things sometimes.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Wow- I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble. A head gasket too? I work at a Honda Marine dealer, and I've been impressed by how well Honda treats their customers, but that being said, I have to tell you that they will drive the mechanics crazy with doing endless diagnostics- which the dealer rarely gets paid for. So please remember that it's not always the dealer that causes delays- they want your machine sitting there even less than you do! The dealer you bought it from didn't build it- Honda did. Unfortunately, Honda screws up like we all do now and then, but then the dealer has to fix HONDA'S screw-up at about 60% of the shop rate. (all OEM's do this) I don't know what the mark-up is on an ATV, but I can tell you that there is 0$ on an outboard engine if you try to compete with the internet. As far as your wire harness issues go, it's EXTREMELY time consuming (and insanely frustrating) to isolate a wire problem like you described. I also want to add that if there's anything you might have done to contribute to the problem, make sure to tell the mechanic- he just wants to fix your machine, and have a happy customer- and if they're like us, we will argue unto death to get Honda to cover as much as possible! Try to remember- the dealer isn't Honda. They're just trying to make a living selling Honda's stuff. Hope you get it back soon, and get to enjoy the reliability that we all expect from a Honda. Reliability is about the only reason I went with Honda- it sure ain't sexy or fast!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!