Diy cab heater

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
76911ab38ea3b8f0a538b651b77747e6make sure you bleed the air from the cylinder head what ever you end up doing. The blue headed bolt in the pic is the bleed screw on the thermostat housing

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Turned out ok for what it was. I think youll need the right dia "t" to tap into the rad. Hoses. One thing to think about with doing the way you want is there will not be any heat or coolant flow every time the thermostat closes. But with hooking up to the oil cooler line i assume it is inside of the thermostat so constantly getting coolant flow. How come you are wanting to do the rad hoses instead?

Oh. Dude I didn't even think about what you were saying. I don't know.

Where is the oil cooler? I haven't noticed one anywhere..... Guess I haven't looked either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I downloaded the oem honda directions on how to install their heater from the resources page on here. Not wanting to try to reinvent the wheel or smoke my engine and honda giving me the cold shoulder. Ill try to get you some pics. But the line you splice into is under the front seat towards the drivers side right next to the wall to the little storage cubby. 1/2" diameter. If you follow it back to the back of the engine it supplys the oil cooler.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I downloaded the oem honda directions on how to install their heater from the resources page on here. Not wanting to try to reinvent the wheel or smoke my engine and honda giving me the cold shoulder. Ill try to get you some pics. But the line you splice into is under the front seat towards the drivers side right next to the wall to the little storage cubby. 1/2" diameter. If you follow it back to the back of the engine it supplys the oil cooler.

Do I need to get a special heater core or is the oil at that temp going to be flowing pretty freely?

Maybe it well even help with clutch life?

Reactions: dotman1
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The oil cooler has engine coolent being pumped through it. And that coolant line is what i taped into. Its not pumping oil through your heater core

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do I need to get a special heater core or is the oil at that temp going to be flowing pretty freely?

Personally I wouldn't add an oil cooler. Even though cooler oil is a good thing you might be changing oil pressures in the process. Everything is controlled by pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The oil cooler has engine coolent being pumped through it. And that coolant line is what i taped into. Its not pumping oil through your heater core

I have a VW. Evidently Im thinking something different when you say oil cooler.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I kinda wondered if it may help a little bit. Its removing a little bit of heat from the coolant just befor it goes into the oil cooler. So think it definitely wont hurt

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I wouldn't add an oil cooler. Even though cooler oil is a good thing you might be changing oil pressures in the process. Everything is controlled by pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think that was what he was implying. He just didnt understood how the oil coolers in the 1k transfered heat

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I dont think that was what he was implying. He just didnt understood how the oil coolers in the 1k transfered heat

And I still don't. Please explain. Is it Internal? It's the same coolant as the radiator only it runs to a different spot?

advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think of it like a oem transmission cooler on a new truck. Where it is plumbed through the radiator. So engine coolant being pumped through the oem honda oil cooler soaks up the heat from the hot engine/transmission oil. The 1k picks up coolant from the water pump area on the front of the engine. Pushes it through a 1/2" hose out and around the outside of the drivers side of the engine to the oil cooler thats just on top to the filter covers on the backdrivers side of the engine. Make sense?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Think of it like a oem transmission cooler on a new truck. Where it is plumbed through the radiator. So engine coolant being pumped through the oem honda oil cooler soaks up the heat from the hot engine/transmission oil. The 1k picks up coolant from the water pump area on the front of the engine. Pushes it through a 1/2" hose out and around the outside of the drivers side of the engine to the oil cooler thats just on top to the filter covers on the backdrivers side of the engine. Make sense?

Yes. That makes sense. I assumed we were talking an actual oil cooler.

So I just splice off that and the rest sounds like a cake walk.

Can I just use brass fittings from home depot designed for pex?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
P1k - HEATER / DEFROST - 0SE01-HL4-101 - Instructions

page 7&8 show you where to cut and spice into the oem line
I used some brass barbed fittings and corbin style hose clamps so they wont ever back off or loosen up and leak on me
you'll neew two of these fittings
Your the bomb dude.

Now on a scale of 1 to 10, how hot does it get in the cab? Roughly how big is your heater core, and do you think a better fan would help performance?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
E736f6cb34fb210d29fe6b92a605c650

Okay, so you did a reroute through your heater core and used this union?

I'm thinking I would get a t. With 5/8 1/2 5/8

Or whatever the numbers wind up being. I have a little more research to do.
E736f6cb34fb210d29fe6b92a605c650

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the coldest weather i was in with mine was 10 deg. With the soft doors on all the way around the cab. At a stand still after a good rally it will cook you out of the cab. Above 30mph i have to much out side wind coming through to even tell its on. The heater i have is pretty big and has like 12,000 btus maybe more fan out put might help. I mostly installed it for the wife and kids. And if they start to get cold i just slow down to below 10mph.

Reactions: Boomboom907
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your the bomb dude.

Now on a scale of 1 to 10, how hot does it get in the cab? Roughly how big is your heater core, and do you think a better fan would help performance?

Read back on the first post on this thread and you can see what im running

Reactions: Boomboom907
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Read back on the first post on this thread and you can see what im running

Yeah. 6x6x3. But I'm talking if you could redesign, would you get anything bigger or a better fan? Because I can do that right now for little cost.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah. 6x6x3. But I'm talking if you could redesign, would you get anything bigger or a better fan?

No but my winter is pretty mild. I did take a heat gun reading one time and it was blowing 100+ deg heat air out of the heater

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!