P1000 Do i need a tuner?

ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
“Spark ignition (SI) engines usually run on gasoline (petrol) fuel. The AFR of the SI engines varies within the range 12:1 (rich) to 20:1 (lean), depending on the operating condition of the engine (temperature, speed, load, etc.). Modern internal combustion engines operate as much as possible around the stoichiometric AFR (mainly for gas after-treatment reasons). In the table below you can see an example of a SI engine AFR, function of engine speed and torque”. Air fuel ratio – x-engineer.org

The OEM Honda tune most definitely does not run at a constant 14.7:1 ratio. For one, trying to start it cold would be very difficult, under deceleration it goes well above the 14.7:1 and if enough deceleration is present it will shut the injectors off completely saving fuel. Under load especially high rpm, high load 14.7:1 is too lean, there isn’t enough time in the combustion cycle even with additional timing added, the cylinder temps get too high and you’ll start having detonation which can be catastrophic. A good tuner can most definitely not just find a little bit additional power, but can bring in the cooling fan sooner, increase the rev limit (do at your own risk), top speed limiters and as others have said, create a shifting profile tailored to your specific driving style, vehicle weight, tire size etc. The OEM tune has to do pretty well across all variables, that leaves room for improvement when looking at tuning for a given situation. There are over 1100 variable for a tuner to play with on the Talon.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Adding fuel to a modern computer-managed engine does nothing more than waste fuel and can wash lubrication from cylinder walls and cause piston ring wear, piston and cylinder scoring, and ultimate destruction.

A gasoline powered engine must operate at a ratio of about 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio to run efficiently and burn all fuel. That's known as stoichiometric ratio. If the ratio of fuel to air is increased the mixture is too rich and will emit black smoke, waste fuel, and wash cylinder walls. If air to fuel ratio is increased the engine will run lean, run hot, experience pre-ignition (spar knock), and can even burn a hole in a piston.

Varying in either direction from 14.7:1 causes power loss.

I cringe when I see mend who know very little about engines buying tuners thinking they'll see increased power.

12.6:1 makes more power then 14.7:1
Running 12.6:1 will not cause power loss or emit black smoke.

Most people don’t need a tuner.
The only reason I know anything about air fuel ratio is that I use to work on carburetor motorcycles.

758CA32B DFF8 45B4 B855 C166F173FBFF

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do I need a tail? Not really but it’d be really cool to hang upside down from tree branches and chicks might think it’s cool and sexy. Long tail = long other thing…fun new positions and stuff, but then I’d have to cut a hole in all my pants and all my church friends would freak out. But I think having a tail would definitely be cool. I think I’d rather have a tail than a tuner too. I’m way off and I doubt if a tuner would help unless I started identifying as a radio station but I already have my hands full with being a gnome. I wonder when I’m gonna get my own bathroom. Public restroom piss puddles are like pools to a gnome. Good luck!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!