P1000 Do i need a tuner?

Rtcole

Rtcole

Feb 16, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Thinking about changing out my exhaust on my 1000-5. Will i need a tuner? Recommendations for both exhaust and tuner if i need a tuner.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Negative, no tuner for an exhaust.

watch out when getting a tuner unless you know what your doing. Your changing alot of things in the motor From what its designed to do. If your not careful, you can have some serious and expensive issues.

use the search up top and use the thread loom option to look up tuners. Take some time and Read up before you just go out and buy One. You can do the same with exhausts. Theres been many installed and talked about on here.

PinchPerformance

PinchPerformance

Aug 17, 2020
Pinch, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I been using the Dynojet Power Vision 3, all stock. You can download tunes from their site. You can also use their Power Core software to custom tune.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A "tuner" is nothing more than a gimmick.

There are only two things a tuner can do - tinker with ignition timing or fuel injection timing and volume - neither of which is beneficial to your engine.

• Haha
Reactions: Dezrik
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Negative, no tuner for an exhaust.

watch out when getting a tuner unless you know what your doing. Your changing alot of things in the motor From what its designed to do. If your not careful, you can have some serious and expensive issues.

use the search up top and use the thread loom option to look up tuners. Take some time and Read up before you just go out and buy One. You can do the same with exhausts. Theres been many installed and talked about on here.
What he said ⬆️ changing the muffler does more for sound than power.
I been using the Dynojet Power Vision 3, all stock. You can download tunes from their site. You can also use their Power Core software to custom tune.
What he said ⬆️ Dynojet Power Vision 3 is the way to go, also paying for a custom tune made for what you want to do will probably be worth it over a one size fits all tune.
A "tuner" is nothing more than a gimmick.

There are only two things a tuner can do - tinker with ignition timing or fuel injection timing and volume - neither of which is beneficial to your engine.
If you think a tuner is a gimmick you need to widen your world view.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Please share your "world view." Explain what a tuner does - besides destroy a well-designed, tested and proven engine.

Engine manufacturers such as Honda with 100 years of corporate experience, millions of dollars worth of equipment, and a million dollar budget programmed their engine control computers to provide maximum performance within the parameters of reliability and durability.

Reactions: Remington
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had a tuner on a Harley Ultra Classic and a Winnebago (Ford V-10) motor home, so pretty much both ends of the spectrum.
In the case of the Harley, it was coupled with a bigger intake and bigger exhaust. It made a big difference in gitty-up, but you have to have more air flowing through the engine to burn more fuel and make more power.
In the motorhome it was mostly a case of changing shift points. The stock F-53 chassis has weird shifting habits, like a 5-3 downshift when you get to a hill. The tune let it go to 4th gear, which was way more pleasant.
Most manufacturers are tuning not for performance or durability, but to meet EPA regulations. The result is a lean running engine, which is better for the environment, but not optimal for either performance or durability.
If you want to play with your fuel mixture a tuner will let you do that. You might get a little more oomph out of it, but if you want monster power you have to flow more air.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had a tuner on a Harley Ultra Classic and a Winnebago (Ford V-10) motor home, so pretty much both ends of the spectrum.
In the case of the Harley, it was coupled with a bigger intake and bigger exhaust. It made a big difference in gitty-up, but you have to have more air flowing through the engine to burn more fuel and make more power.
In the motorhome it was mostly a case of changing shift points. The stock F-53 chassis has weird shifting habits, like a 5-3 downshift when you get to a hill. The tune let it go to 4th gear, which was way more pleasant.
Most manufacturers are tuning not for performance or durability, but to meet EPA regulations. The result is a lean running engine, which is better for the environment, but not optimal for either performance or durability.
If you want to play with your fuel mixture a tuner will let you do that. You might get a little more oomph out of it, but if you want monster power you have to flow more air.

^^^ Right there ^^^

advertisement
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Please share your "world view." Explain what a tuner does - besides destroy a well-designed, tested and proven engine.

Engine manufacturers such as Honda with 100 years of corporate experience, millions of dollars worth of equipment, and a million dollar budget programmed their engine control computers to provide maximum performance within the parameters of reliability and durability.
What he said ⬆️
performance
All manufacturers try to make there products idiot proof with torque limiting tables, so between that and the EPA requirements there is room for improvement.
Just do a YouTube search like Honda Pioneer tuner shoot out, or turner test.

Anytime you modify your machine for more power your are generally trading it for longevity, driven with respect and it will live just fine drive like a idiot and you will destroy it faster directly related to the level of the modifications
Big power, takes big changes 💲💲💲 and a tuner.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Here is a couple pictures of the tables that Dynojet identified this by no means is all that's going in the ECM.
Sorry about the crappy pictures the screen refresh rate and my phone don't get along. IMG 20220502 090100547 HDRIMG 20220502 090545719

Reactions: ToddACimer
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A gasoline-powered internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. In simple terms, to make more power the engine must flow more air.

That can be done by increasing displacement - larger bore, longer stroke, or both.

Increasing air intake and exhaust output,

Increasing camshaft lift and duration,

or increasing combustion ratio.

In modern performance engines, a supercharger or turbocharger can force more air into the combustion chamber which is effectively the same as an increase in displacement.

The only things a tuner can do in an engine is tinker with ignition timing and fuel injection.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
A gasoline-powered internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. In simple terms, to make more power the engine must flow more air.

That can be done by increasing displacement - larger bore, longer stroke, or both.

Increasing air intake and exhaust output,

Increasing camshaft lift and duration,

or increasing combustion ratio.

In modern performance engines, a supercharger or turbocharger can force more air into the combustion chamber which is effectively the same as an increase in displacement.

The only things a tuner can do in an engine is tinker with ignition timing and fuel injection.
I couldn't agree more with your post above.
After reading it I don't understand what your driving at?
Unless your talking about the PV3 which piggy back's on the injectors and coils you know the power vision 5 is not a gimmick so if you're digging for tuning tip here it is clutch pressure 😎

Sorry Rtcole for derailing your thread
I will embellish on what Remington posted you don't need to reprogram air fuel ratio for a muffler swap because a after market muffler isn't going to flow enough more to make a lean condition.

A cam change will perk a Pioneer up.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What I'm "driving at" is easy to understand.

The OP asked, "do I need a tuner?"

The answer imo is no one needs a tuner to tinker with ignition timing or fueling. If a tuner is desired to alter automatic transmission programming, that's a different issuer. The engine manufacturer programmed the engine management computer to carefully monitor and adjust those parameters for best efficiency.

What about that improved world view? I was hoping to be enlightened.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

The answer imo is no one needs a tuner to tinker with ignition timing or fueling. If a tuner is desired to alter automatic transmission programming, that's a different issuer. The engine manufacturer programmed the engine management computer to carefully monitor and adjust those parameters for best efficiency.

Did you go look on YouTube see what can be gained by giving it a little more fuel and timing and clutch engagement?
There are more this is the first one that came up.
Is it fake? Is it a gimmick?
No parts changed just programming.
I give up.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What he said

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Adding fuel to a modern computer-managed engine does nothing more than waste fuel and can wash lubrication from cylinder walls and cause piston ring wear, piston and cylinder scoring, and ultimate destruction.

A gasoline powered engine must operate at a ratio of about 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio to run efficiently and burn all fuel. That's known as stoichiometric ratio. If the ratio of fuel to air is increased the mixture is too rich and will emit black smoke, waste fuel, and wash cylinder walls. If air to fuel ratio is increased the engine will run lean, run hot, experience pre-ignition (spar knock), and can even burn a hole in a piston.

Varying in either direction from 14.7:1 causes power loss.

I cringe when I see men who know very little about engines buying tuners thinking they'll see increased power.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Adam490
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the Honda engines i have worked on Honda leaves very little meat on the bone.Can you make a Honda run better for sure but usually requires replacing hard parts.Cams,Heads, Pistons,Turbos,Intakes,Exhausts, and they all must like each other.Now your tuner to pull it all together.

Reactions: HBarlow and Dave75
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!