P1000 Door latch recall

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
So, my wife and I spend all day Saturday at dealer to get a new P1K-5. We did the Costco buy program and we were happy with the pricing, sales guys were nice and all the papers were signed. I had not planned on making the deal so I did not bring my trailer, so off we go, an hour drive each way, to get trailer and pick up the ne P1K-5

By now it's 3:00 pm and the dealership closes at 6:00 so an hour to get the trailer, an hour back, no problem? Well, my wife tells me that we need to stop for food because she hasn't eaten all day, and I decide that we had time. She decides that we can stop at this fancy grocery store, get something to eat at the sushi bar and pick up a few things we need for the house. I check the time and we should be able to eat fast grab milk, bread and some chicken and we will be on our way

As I pull my 2004 F-250 into the parking lot I can see porches and range rovers in the line for valet parking, I kid you not, valet parking at a grocery store, so, in the interest of time, I decided against the valet parking and slip into a parking spot

Inside the grocery store, I pull my wife to the sushi bar, other patrons are leasurely pushing their shopping baskets , stopping to see the gluten free brownies and sodium free salt. I move left, I move right, almost get past the wine section, when I feel my wife start to slow. I risk a quick look over my shoulder and see my wife is trying to read wine labels. NO, I cried, we don't have time for that, Eat and Go!

So I get my wife to the sushi bar and order the first thing on the menu, albacore, the wife got the California roll, now I check the time, doing ok, if we can be done and out of here in the next 15 minutes we will be fine. No forks? Where are the forks? My wife hands me chop sticks? Oh crap this is cutting into my safety margin

As the guy behind the bar hands us our order, I look at this raw fish and look at my wife and smile, but in the back of my mind all I can think of is getting back to the dealership and loading my new P1K-5

Word of advice to my brother sxs buyers, do not try and eat anything with chopsticks when you are running out of time. After minimum effort with the chopsticks, I abandoned these large splinters and attack my albacore with my fingers. My wife on the other hand is very good with chopsticks and picks up each California roll ease, admires the artistry of the chef and painstakingly slowly eats each piece, chewing twice as much as necessary

I don't want to drag this on, but finally my wife finishes, my margin of time gives me only an extra 5 minutes now, and my wife wants to grab a few things for Sunday dinner. She grabs my shirt on each arm and looks me in the eye, "you stand right here I can get these things faster without you. 3 minutes, I promise "

After 2.5 minutes I go looking for her, looking past the organic potato chips, the lactose free cottage cheese, not sight of her, I am panicking. There, in the produce section, I run, "almost done, all I need is to find turnips and parsley"

I grab a guy that looks like he works there. "Where are the turnips and parsley, i am begging you, please tell me where the turnips and parsley are". With a blank look, the guy says "I don't work here, but isn't that turnips there, and that sign says that stuff is parsley". I almost start to cry, we are almost out of this place

As the acne free bagger places items in bags, I gather the bags in the shopping cart. My wife is running the credit card. With speed I have not seen in 30 years I head out to the parking lot. The line for valet parking was 10 deep, but I blew past all of them

At my truck, I check the time, I need to make up 7 minutes. As I am backing out of the parking space, I notice my wife standing in the drive way, with her arms crossed and that look on her face, I almost forgot her

Now I have 8 minutes to make up but a higher power is looking out for me. Traffic lights are all green, no slow pokes holding me up, I am switching lanes and making up time

By the time I make it to the driveway of my house I have made up the time lost and even gained an extra minute. I am backing up to the trailer when my cell phone rings. I decide to answer as I crank up the trailer jack.

On the phone is the salesman from the dealership " Sir, I'm sorry to tell you but you will not be able to pick up your sxs today, there is a safety recall on the door latches and we don't know when we will get it fixed" I'm standing in the driveway with the phone in one hand and the trailer jack in the other. "Take the doors off" was my reply. "Sorry but we can't, the dealership is closed on Mondays, but I will give you a call on Tuesday and let you know if we have found out when we can have it fixed"

I know this post was a little long getting to the question for you all. Can anyone tell me how long I should expect this to take?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
See.... Had you chosen the valet parking you would have saved just enough time to be inside the dealership staring at him as he dialed your number!

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
See.... Had you chosen the valet parking you would have saved just enough time to be inside the dealership staring at him as he dialed your number!
Best for everyone it worked out this way

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
hahah...
But really, In response to the last12 words....
I haven't a clue!

But we have received confirmation that several dealers have received replacement parts! I assume your dealer would need to request for the parts in a timely manner. Don't expect the parts to "just arrive". I would follow up every other day if not daily.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
hahah...
But really, In response to the last12 words....
I haven't a clue!

But we have received confirmation that several dealers have received replacement parts! I assume your dealer would need to request for the parts in a timely manner. Don't expect the parts to "just arrive". I would follow up every other day if not daily.
Thanks for the advice, I will make the calls. I don't understand, if this was a "stop sales recall" why did the sale it to me?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
They most likely did not know (or check) until they went to register the unit and the system disallowed.
Or, just lazy and after a few levels of candy crush, finally decided they might better call you before you drove all the way down there and couldn't get it.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
They most likely did not know (or check) until they went to register the unit and the system disallowed.
Or, just lazy and after a few levels of candy crush, finally decided they might better call you before you drove all the way down there and couldn't get it.
I can see that

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, my wife and I spend all day Saturday at dealer to get a new P1K-5. We did the Costco buy program and we were happy with the pricing, sales guys were nice and all the papers were signed. I had not planned on making the deal so I did not bring my trailer, so off we go, an hour drive each way, to get trailer and pick up the ne P1K-5

By now it's 3:00 pm and the dealership closes at 6:00 so an hour to get the trailer, an hour back, no problem? Well, my wife tells me that we need to stop for food because she hasn't eaten all day, and I decide that we had time. She decides that we can stop at this fancy grocery store, get something to eat at the sushi bar and pick up a few things we need for the house. I check the time and we should be able to eat fast grab milk, bread and some chicken and we will be on our way

As I pull my 2004 F-250 into the parking lot I can see porches and range rovers in the line for valet parking, I kid you not, valet parking at a grocery store, so, in the interest of time, I decided against the valet parking and slip into a parking spot

Inside the grocery store, I pull my wife to the sushi bar, other patrons are leasurely pushing their shopping baskets , stopping to see the gluten free brownies and sodium free salt. I move left, I move right, almost get past the wine section, when I feel my wife start to slow. I risk a quick look over my shoulder and see my wife is trying to read wine labels. NO, I cried, we don't have time for that, Eat and Go!

So I get my wife to the sushi bar and order the first thing on the menu, albacore, the wife got the California roll, now I check the time, doing ok, if we can be done and out of here in the next 15 minutes we will be fine. No forks? Where are the forks? My wife hands me chop sticks? Oh crap this is cutting into my safety margin

As the guy behind the bar hands us our order, I look at this raw fish and look at my wife and smile, but in the back of my mind all I can think of is getting back to the dealership and loading my new P1K-5

Word of advice to my brother sxs buyers, do not try and eat anything with chopsticks when you are running out of time. After minimum effort with the chopsticks, I abandoned these large splinters and attack my albacore with my fingers. My wife on the other hand is very good with chopsticks and picks up each California roll ease, admires the artistry of the chef and painstakingly slowly eats each piece, chewing twice as much as necessary

I don't want to drag this on, but finally my wife finishes, my margin of time gives me only an extra 5 minutes now, and my wife wants to grab a few things for Sunday dinner. She grabs my shirt on each arm and looks me in the eye, "you stand right here I can get these things faster without you. 3 minutes, I promise "

After 2.5 minutes I go looking for her, looking past the organic potato chips, the lactose free cottage cheese, not sight of her, I am panicking. There, in the produce section, I run, "almost done, all I need is to find turnips and parsley"

I grab a guy that looks like he works there. "Where are the turnips and parsley, i am begging you, please tell me where the turnips and parsley are". With a blank look, the guy says "I don't work here, but isn't that turnips there, and that sign says that stuff is parsley". I almost start to cry, we are almost out of this place

As the acne free bagger places items in bags, I gather the bags in the shopping cart. My wife is running the credit card. With speed I have not seen in 30 years I head out to the parking lot. The line for valet parking was 10 deep, but I blew past all of them

At my truck, I check the time, I need to make up 7 minutes. As I am backing out of the parking space, I notice my wife standing in the drive way, with her arms crossed and that look on her face, I almost forgot her

Now I have 8 minutes to make up but a higher power is looking out for me. Traffic lights are all green, no slow pokes holding me up, I am switching lanes and making up time

By the time I make it to the driveway of my house I have made up the time lost and even gained an extra minute. I am backing up to the trailer when my cell phone rings. I decide to answer as I crank up the trailer jack.

On the phone is the salesman from the dealership " Sir, I'm sorry to tell you but you will not be able to pick up your sxs today, there is a safety recall on the door latches and we don't know when we will get it fixed" I'm standing in the driveway with the phone in one hand and the trailer jack in the other. "Take the doors off" was my reply. "Sorry but we can't, the dealership is closed on Mondays, but I will give you a call on Tuesday and let you know if we have found out when we can have it fixed"

I know this post was a little long getting to the question for you all. Can anyone tell me how long I should expect this to take?

That was hilarious. Thank you.

Sodium free salt....large splinters......lactose free cottage cheese.... That's all good stuff

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Vent some more anytime. I enjoy reading it.

I'm looking forward to you reviews and trail reports of you keep up the funny stuff.

When I read your posts, in my mind I hear Jerry Seinfeld like that's what you sound like. Or maybe George Castanza when he was telling the story about driving like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the advice, I will make the calls. I don't understand, if this was a "stop sales recall" why did the sale it to me?
Make them take money off for not telling you sooner for the gas and time and if they say no don't buy from them.

Reactions: joeymt33
Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Make them take money off for not telling you sooner for the gas and time and if they say no don't buy from them.
It would be nice if dealer/Honda would throw in something to help with the pain and suffering.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought mine 2 weeks ago it was coming from the honda warehouse in Illinois. They had 2 in there one red and one green. Red one was built after recall so that's the one I got. I made sure they found out before I made the deal. But I knew about it. The dealership didnt.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don't know why they did a stop sale on all of them when they could have checked the vin and saw the range of vin numbers that were affected.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I don't know why they did a stop sale on all of them when they could have checked the vin and saw the range of vin numbers that were affected.
Have them deliver it. Heck you have already made your effort now it's their turn. If they can't deliver I would at least get 500 off for my gas and time. Just my thought

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get them to swap it out if they can't have it fixed and to you by the next weekend. I'd be some kind of pissed............

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Get them to swap it out if they can't have it fixed and to you by the next weekend. I'd be some kind of pissed............
Thanks for the support from everyone. When I told my friends, they just laughed

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the support from everyone. When I told my friends, they just laughed

If you go to the dealership and raise sand I think they will get you taken care of pretty quickly. Did they have any other units in the same color as what you wanted? Should be nothing to swap it over - just paperwork. It would be a little different if you had taken it home and had it for a few days and put some miles on it. Just imagine it was a new pickup truck. I like Honda and most brands in general, but the concept of buying something and then them holding it for however long due to a recall that they should have already addressed is inexcusable.

Waylan

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Lol! :DYour wife and you sound like fun people. Did you get a white one!?:)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!