P1000m5 Downshifting issue

Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checking to see if anyone is or has had similar symptoms and looking for any suggestions on what may be causing my issue. I thought I saw a post in a thread related to this, but I'm not able to find it now.

I have a new P1K5 with about 160 miles on it now. It has had its initial service done by the dealer. I had all filters/oil & front/rear diffs changed. Had to have the cables adjusted at initial service because it wouldn't go back into turf mode. Dealer said everything looked good at the time.

Since the initial service I have noticed a difference when it downshifts. Most noticeably when it drops into 1st gear just before stopping. As I slow to a stop and when it is downshifting into 1st, the Pioneer will surge forward (almost feels like I am lifting up on the brake) and then it engages and then begins to slow again (feels like back on the brake). When this is happening... probably around 5mph... the whole thing shakes. I first thought the shaking/shudder (whatever you want to call it) was the tires, but this is the only time it drives this way.

Any thoughts/suggestions from anyone is welcomed. I appreciate any help I can get.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Do you feel this shudder in all conditions? Mine shudders when stopping on the road or hard pack. (It's my tires). In the dirt I don't have this issue at all.

H

HondaTech

Check your grounds, especially the main one @ the battery. I've had many of these units come in with battery cables or ground cables loose. There are 3 on the engine/frame and then the main on the battery. Just had to go through a new one the other day b/c of loose ground on battery. They throw the computer in to a fit and can actually cause the clutch issue some units are having.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your grounds, especially the main one @ the battery. I've had many of these units come in with battery cables or ground cables loose. There are 3 on the engine/frame and then the main on the battery. Just had to go through a new one the other day b/c of loose ground on battery. They throw the computer in to a fit and can actually cause the clutch issue some units are having.
"Can actually cause the clutch issue"..... Please expound. I am interested.

Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you feel this shudder in all conditions? Mine shudders when stopping on the road or hard pack. (It's my tires). In the dirt I don't have this issue at all.
It doesn't make a difference what type of surface I'm on.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the tips. Are all of the grounds on the motor accessible from under the box?

H

HondaTech

All the grounds can be checked without removing anything except for the main frame behind the drivers floorboard.
As far as the clutch problems go, for whatever reason, the loose ground cause power on/off surges rapidly. This throws the eop sensors into a fritz and cause the them to then apply and release pressure on the clutches in different ways then they should. The one I had the other day Locke the engine and Trans together. It would die when put in gear unless your foot was off the brake. Seems to be compounded by slow creeping speeds and high oil temperature, this parades or similar. Now this is all my thinking nothig concrete. But the two Ive had issue with, one had a radio installed before it acted up and the other had a very loose battery ground.

Reactions: KevinSC
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HT will you tell us where to find these grounds? One thing I haven't checked yet

H

HondaTech

There's one frame behind drivers footwell. Look in the hole under driver's seat (under rubber cover). Should be multiple green wires of different sizes, this one is the only one you really have to take anything off to tighten if loose. The othersecond are on top of the engine and on the front. Looking down through the large hole under the front seat, you'll see one that bolts horizontally on the engine. Then there's one on top of the engine close to the starter motor. Im positive there is one more near the starter, but im not in front of any information to cofirm this. Will post about tomorrow when im back at work. They look imposible to get too, but with a wobble you can check them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!