P1000 Drive mode indicator not working.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered already and I missed it...
I have a '16 pioneer 1000-5. It just went in for its first service at 18 hrs, 110 mi. Only complaint I had was that the machine was having trouble shifting into turf mode, which I gather is fairly common. The dealership said they'd take care of it, and after 3 or 4 days they said it was fixed and delivered it to me.
It was a few days before I had time to take it for a ride, and when I did the first thing I did was try out the drive modes. The drive mode indicator on the dash didn't show 2wd lock when I selected it, so I tried 4x4 and 4x4 lock. No indication there either. I got it on a slippery spot on my driveway, and it appears that at least the 4x4 is engaging even though there's no indication on the dash that it is. All other displays on the dash seem to be working properly...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Also put nuts against the adjusters to help keep them from backing off. Someone mentioned it in another post a while back.

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered already and I missed it...
I have a '16 pioneer 1000-5. It just went in for its first service at 18 hrs, 110 mi. Only complaint I had was that the machine was having trouble shifting into turf mode, which I gather is fairly common. The dealership said they'd take care of it, and after 3 or 4 days they said it was fixed and delivered it to me.
It was a few days before I had time to take it for a ride, and when I did the first thing I did was try out the drive modes. The drive mode indicator on the dash didn't show 2wd lock when I selected it, so I tried 4x4 and 4x4 lock. No indication there either. I got it on a slippery spot on my driveway, and it appears that at least the 4x4 is engaging even though there's no indication on the dash that it is. All other displays on the dash seem to be working properly...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
So if what you are saying is the indicator is not registering but the shifting of the drive mode is taking place, is that correct? Mine is slightly delayed on the indicator even though the drive mode changed right away. After driving a short distance the indicator shows the correct mode, not sure if it's a driving or a time thing on mine. Not sure adjusting the cable would help my situation.

AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
I bought my '16 Pioneer 1000d last February, and it does the same thing yours does. I don't think it's a cable adjustment thing. It's nothing to worry about either.
I use my pioneer "buggy" almost daily to pick up my newspaper at the bottom of my 1/3 mile long driveway. I go down the driveway in turf mode, then click it into 4wd mode (while moving at 5-10 mph) for going back up. When I click it into 4wd mode, it goes into 4 wheel drive immediately, but as long as I'm going straight, it still indicates I'm in turf mode. The indicator on the dash switches to 4wd mode every time I begin to turn thru my switchback in the driveway.

Yours will probably do the same. Try this...While in turf mode going straight (stopped or moving slowly), click it into 4wd mode. It will probably indicate you're still in 2wd mode until you make a turn. Sometimes doing an "S turn" will be enough to make the dash indicator change, but not always. Mine usually takes a 45 degree or more turn to make the switch.

Just know when you move the lever to change modes, it changes right away, so use the position of the lever to indicate what mode you're in, and you're good to go...
Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if what you are saying is the indicator is not registering but the shifting of the drive mode is taking place, is that correct? Mine is slightly delayed on the indicator even though the drive mode changed right away. After driving a short distance the indicator shows the correct mode, not sure if it's a driving or a time thing on mine. Not sure adjusting the cable would help my situation.

That's how mine was before the dealership adjusted it... Now no matter what drive mode I select or how far I drive the display remains blank as if I was in turf mode. As far as I can tell 4x4 is engaging when selected, but it's not being shown on the display.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's how mine was before the dealership adjusted it... Now no matter what drive mode I select or how far I drive the display remains blank as if I was in turf mode. As far as I can tell 4x4 is engaging when selected, but it's not being shown on the display.
Make the dealer fix it and if they can't report them to honda. The shop messed it up they should fix it.

Reactions: Ridem32
W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my '16 Pioneer 1000d last February, and it does the same thing yours does. I don't think it's a cable adjustment thing. It's nothing to worry about either.
I use my pioneer "buggy" almost daily to pick up my newspaper at the bottom of my 1/3 mile long driveway. I go down the driveway in turf mode, then click it into 4wd mode (while moving at 5-10 mph) for going back up. When I click it into 4wd mode, it goes into 4 wheel drive immediately, but as long as I'm going straight, it still indicates I'm in turf mode. The indicator on the dash switches to 4wd mode every time I begin to turn thru my switchback in the driveway.

Yours will probably do the same. Try this...While in turf mode going straight (stopped or moving slowly), click it into 4wd mode. It will probably indicate you're still in 2wd mode until you make a turn. Sometimes doing an "S turn" will be enough to make the dash indicator change, but not always. Mine usually takes a 45 degree or more turn to make the switch.

Just know when you move the lever to change modes, it changes right away, so use the position of the lever to indicate what mode you're in, and you're good to go...
Randy
If you ever have tranny problems don't let the dealer know you change modes while moving or they won't cover it under warranty

Reactions: AKRider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!