P1000m5 Driving Techniques

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for some intel from those with experience with regards to the Auto/Manual I4WD on the P1K5LE-2017. New to UTV world and wondering about the 'do's and don'ts' with running a DCT vs a belt.

Will the auto mode handle most allround driving? I suppose there are time when you want to go manual when in water, mud, hill climbing? Or is the I4WD really that intelligent?

Do folks run mostly in 2WD in normal conditions (normal could be a reach for some I know)?

Appreciate all your help ... this has been a great site and has been a wonderful resource for me!

Reactions: elkguide
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I see that this question has not been answered in sometime. Let's give it a bump to the top and see if any of those guys with the limited edition model can speak up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll give this a shot but remember that I've not been behind the wheel of a LE...

Looking for some intel from those with experience with regards to the Auto/Manual I4WD on the P1K5LE-2017. New to UTV world and wondering about the 'do's and don'ts' with running a DCT vs a belt.

Will the auto mode handle most allround driving? I suppose there are time when you want to go manual when in water, mud, hill climbing? Or is the I4WD really that intelligent?

Do folks run mostly in 2WD in normal conditions (normal could be a reach for some I know)?

Appreciate all your help ... this has been a great site and has been a wonderful resource for me!

Do's and don'ts of DCT. Really there's not much you can't do. Just one rule. Don't hold the vehicle on a hill using the throttle. That's constantly slipping the clutch. Of coarse, that would be bad on a CVT as well. Other than that, try to stay above 3mph.

Auto 4x4: my guess is that it will handle most situations. Thats just based on my experience that this rig can go just about anywhere in 4x4 without the front diff locked.

2wd most of the time: I try to run in turf mode most of the time to reduce drivetrain stress, save tires, and probably saves fuel. I only shift to more traction when I think it's needed.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

I havent driven an LE either but I cant see the auto vs manual being any different from a non LE. I really dont see manual being usefull unless you need to hold a gear seeing as how you can shift gears in auto mode as well. Low in 1st seems great for crawling, seems to lessen the lurching when just barely off idle.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I havent driven an LE either but I cant see the auto vs manual being any different from a non LE. I really dont see manual being usefull unless you need to hold a gear seeing as how you can shift gears in auto mode as well. Low in 1st seems great for crawling, seems to lessen the lurching when just barely off idle.

I think he's asking about the auto 4x4 or i-4WD as Honda calls it.

What are your thoughts on that?

J

JTW

I'll give this a shot but remember that I've not been behind the wheel of a LE...

Do's and don'ts of DCT. Really there's not much you can't do. Just one rule. Don't hold the vehicle on a hill using the throttle. That's constantly slipping the clutch. Of coarse, that would be bad on a CVT as well. Other than that, try to stay above 3mph.

Auto 4x4: my guess is that it will handle most situations. Thats just based on my experience that this rig can go just about anywhere in 4x4 without the front diff locked.

2wd most of the time: I try to run in turf mode most of the time to reduce drivetrain stress, save tires, and probably saves fuel. I only shift to more traction when I think it's needed.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.
Yeah.. that's got to be hard on one!

But to add to this... I find myself running in either high sport or low manual when trail riding. If I'm just cruising around the neighborhood plain ole high.

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!